DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Blocking OTA 2.1 update kills battery life

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by beneharris View Post
    i can't get the file to move into system//etc/security.
    You need to use either a root file explorer or the terminal to put it there.

> su
    > cp /sdcard/download/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security

i also dont know for sure whether it is downloading or not, it shows the update in my system update tab, and gives me the option to download, but i don't know whether it is actually downloading or not. i have noticed a decrease in battery though..
    I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that decreased battery life is caused by this downloading unless you've seen it downloading. Perhaps the download is so fast that it's hard to catch - I only noticed it at work, where I have very poor signal (15mb could take hours or timeout).
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beneharris View Post
    i can't get the file to move into system//etc/security.
    You need to use either a root file explorer or the terminal to put it there.

> su
    > cp /sdcard/download/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security

i also dont know for sure whether it is downloading or not, it shows the update in my system update tab, and gives me the option to download, but i don't know whether it is actually downloading or not. i have noticed a decrease in battery though..
    I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that decreased battery life is caused by this downloading unless you've seen it downloading. Perhaps the download is so fast that it's hard to catch - I only noticed it at work, where I have very poor signal (15mb could take hours or timeout).
    yeah, i wass using andexplorer and a few others, but none of them would copy the file. ill use the code, im sure that would work thanks
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    This is from Camel, Developer of DrodMod, on Droidmod.org:

I thought I would post some clarification about the 2.1 OTA update, since there is a shockingly large amount of misinformation being spread throughout the community. If you are running DroidMod, you should accept the 2.1 update. The phone will reboot in to recovery, and SPRecovery will block the update outright. Even if you are not running SPRecovery, there’s really nothing to worry about, because the pre-install checks internal to the update will fail, and the update will not be applied anyways.
    Many people have been renaming otacerts.zip to stop the notification from appearing, so I’d like to address that. Renaming otacerts.zip will indeed stop the notifications from being presented to you, but it does so by breaking the updater mechanism in a way that makes it think that the update file is corrupt. This will cause it to re-download the update file indefinitely, which will severely impact your battery life. This is why we didn’t remove the file from the ROM entirely.
    So, to put it simply, if you are running any non-stock ROM at all, you can safely “accept” the 2.1 update to stop the notifications; the update will not be able to patch the modified system files, and will not make any changes to your phone.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #

Thanks

Now that's what I wanted to hear. Im a droid mod fan and had no clue why this stuff was popping. I just keep hitting "later". So now do I wait for another notification and accept it. Or Do I go into to the system, update, find it and accept it that way. I have not got a reminder for several hours. By I feel them lurking........ Thanks droid mod you guys rock!
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by dynomite1371 View Post
    Now that's what I wanted to hear. Im a droid mod fan and had no clue why this stuff was popping. I just keep hitting "later". So now do I wait for another notification and accept it. Or Do I go into to the system, update, find it and accept it that way. I have not got a reminder for several hours. By I feel them lurking........ Thanks droid mod you guys rock!
    The post before yours is 100% correcet and what I was saying on the first post. If you are seeing the notification that says now or later, that means it finished downloading and won't download over and over. You can either keep saying later, or say now and let sprecovery block it.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #

Great

Thanks, you guys are awesome. No more panic a attacks. This does need a sticky. All these people are downloading files and making this process more difficult than it has to be. Just my 2 dimes.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by dynomite1371 View Post
    Thanks, you guys are awesome. No more panic a attacks. This does need a sticky. All these people are downloading files and making this process more difficult than it has to be. Just my 2 dimes.
    Some people will still need to download the file I linked - some roms delete the otacerts file instead of just renaming it, so for those roms you would need to download that original file.
    Cool CM Tricks
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #

Gotcha

All the more to stay stable and fast with the MOD!
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible
    I don't even have the "check for updates" selection. Running Simply Stunning 3.0. I checked the OTA file and it's renamed with a .bak extension. My battery has been fine.
    Jason

"My experience has taught me that a man who has no vices has damned few virtues." -Abraham Lincoln-
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    neXus
    Quote Originally Posted by JayCizzo View Post
    I don't even have the "check for updates" selection. Running Simply Stunning 3.0. I checked the OTA file and it's renamed with a .bak extension. My battery has been fine.
    You won't get the update alert because SS3 is already 2.1.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Links