DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 159

Thread: Blocking OTA 2.1 update kills battery life

  1. Senior Droid
    awsolot's Avatar
    Member #
    21669
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    151
    Twitter
    @iceryda
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by DigiK View Post
    Correction: BB v.9 seems to download once and present the user with an option to download again after completion. It doesn't automatically re-download.
    Does this contribute to battery drain?
  2. Droid Newbie
    geeek204's Avatar
    Member #
    58027
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by awsolot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DigiK View Post
    Correction: BB v.9 seems to download once and present the user with an option to download again after completion. It doesn't automatically re-download.
    Does this contribute to battery drain?
    Yes, it will try and re-download it at certain times of the day (not sure exactly when) causing a lot of data usage and alot of battery drainage, especially if your signal is weak.
  3. Droid
    DROIDsballs's Avatar
    Member #
    35455
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    47
    Phone
    MOTO DROID
    OMG thank thank thank you the .zip file and permission change did the trick. That update was murdering my battery and slowing my phone down. God bless this community!
  4. Senior Droid
    Character Zero's Avatar
    Member #
    38170
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    108
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    I checked my folder and I don't have an otacerts.zip or bak file. Also this morning I have no data, no 3G or 1x. Not sure what is going on here.

    I am on BB V.9

    Edit: Well for some reason my data roaming was checked, I unchecked it and I got 3G back. Strange. Downloaded a new otacerts and worked just fine. I wondered why my battery life was terrible.
    Last edited by Character Zero; 04-14-2010 at 07:27 AM.
  5. Droid
    daggah's Avatar
    Member #
    34916
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    62
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    OK so if I want to follow the instructions for getting the otacerts.zip mentioned in this thread on my droid without using root explorer, will the following work (from terminal)

    Copy otacerts.zip to root of sdcard

    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system
    mv /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip/bak
    cp /sdcard/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip
    chmod 755 /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /system

    Do I have the right idea? My linux command knowledge is kinda rusty.
  6. Droid
    daggah's Avatar
    Member #
    34916
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    62
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by daggah View Post
    OK so if I want to follow the instructions for getting the otacerts.zip mentioned in this thread on my droid without using root explorer, will the following work (from terminal)

    Copy otacerts.zip to root of sdcard

    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system
    mv /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip/bak
    cp /sdcard/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip
    chmod 755 /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /system

    Do I have the right idea? My linux command knowledge is kinda rusty.
    My mount command is wrong. I based it off of the mount command on rootyourdroid.info's page on installing busybox.
  7. Junior Droid
    sul7en's Avatar
    Member #
    38009
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    28
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    some people may need to use 'busybox cp' instead of the 'cp' command. just spent hour figuring that one out.
    Last edited by sul7en; 04-21-2010 at 01:15 AM.
  8. Master Droid
    gszeman's Avatar
    Member #
    56765
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Novi, MI
    Posts
    507
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by daggah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by daggah View Post
    OK so if I want to follow the instructions for getting the otacerts.zip mentioned in this thread on my droid without using root explorer, will the following work (from terminal)

    Copy otacerts.zip to root of sdcard

    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /system
    mv /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip/bak
    cp /sdcard/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip
    chmod 755 /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /system

    Do I have the right idea? My linux command knowledge is kinda rusty.
    My mount command is wrong. I based it off of the mount command on rootyourdroid.info's page on installing busybox.
    Hi,

    What is the correct mount command? I can't DL Root Explorer because my credit card company blocks foreign currency transactions...

    Thanks,
    Glenn
  9. Master Droid
    gszeman's Avatar
    Member #
    56765
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Novi, MI
    Posts
    507
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    NM...I got it:

    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    cp sdcard/download/otacerts.zip /system/etc/security/

    Thanks for the thread...says I'm up to date and not stuck in a dl loop.
  10. Senior Droid
    clucernoni's Avatar
    Member #
    31734
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    155
    Phone
    DROID
    Im confused. I downloaded the otacerts.zip file, moved it to /system/etc/security folder using rootexplorer. Then i go and force the download from my settings->about phone-> system updates and it tells me I have a 15mB file to download. I press download and it goes through and downloads it. But after that nothing ever happens. I have tried rebooting and it never goes into recovery mode or anything.

    Any idea why this is happening? I'm on SG 6.0 ROM

    Also under the Android Update 2.1 it says "requires a restart" but when i restart nothing happens??
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Battery life after the update.
    By Lobstar in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 11:13 PM
  2. Droid update killed battery life & gets too hot
    By narquam in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 08:50 AM
  3. Maintenance update improves battery life?
    By Newton122189 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 02:02 PM
  4. Got the update today, battery life is already improved!!
    By LoneWolfArcher in forum HTC Droid Eris
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 10:09 PM
  5. Battery life after 2.01 update?
    By mapexvenus in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 07:26 AM

Search tags for this page

android systemupdater.apk
,
disable systemupdater.apk
,
otacerts.zip
,
releasekey.x509.pem
,

systemupdater.apk

,
systemupdater.apk droid
,
systemupdater.apk location
,
sytemupdater.apk
,
where is systemupdater.apk
,
where is systemupdater.apk located
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+