DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: I just unrooted and got OTA 2.1.

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

I just unrooted and got OTA 2.1.

How can I now get back to a rooted ROM? I mainly wanted to get the official 2.1 OTA because I have been having odd issues with the others. Is it possible to keep the official OTA update and still root?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Nope its not possible. In order to root you have to go back to 2.0.1 by flashing the .sbf. if you're looking for the OTA re root and look at a custom ROM that was built off of the ESE81 source code.
    Moto Droid
    ROM: UD 3.0
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Quote Originally Posted by lolfests View Post
    How can I now get back to a rooted ROM? I mainly wanted to get the official 2.1 OTA because I have been having odd issues with the others. Is it possible to keep the official OTA update and still root?
    Did you accept the OTA? If so, you'll have to wait (no one's sure exactly how long) to root it, as the "hole" that was found to root the software in the first place has been closed up. I suspect that a new one (if it exists) will be found... If you refused the update, you can root again.

Too late! ^ shmoo said it better...
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Nokia flip phone
    Quote Originally Posted by lolfests View Post
    There isn't any way to root the OTA that was issued. The only way as of yet, is to Root 2.0.1 and use the rooted 2.1. Does that make sense? If you allowed the OTA to go through the system., you will have to flash the .sbf file back to 2.0.1 and go from there, This will require reactivation.

EDIT: DAMN IT!!! I type slow
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Damn it! lol I'm just finding all of this out now, ugh. I'm in the process of using the SBF 2.0.1 recovery thing then going to try and root 2.1 with this link.

How To Root Your 2.1 Droid | Android Community

Edit: Could I also just use ROM manager to root my phone? I have the paid version.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto droid UD-9.8
    Dont like 2.1 and want to go back so you have root these are my videos if you need more help just ask or if you figured it out all ready good for you nice job.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by shmoo View Post
    Nope its not possible. In order to root you have to go back to 2.0.1 by flashing the .sbf. if you're looking for the OTA re root and look at a custom ROM that was built off of the ESE81 source code.
    Mostly true.

There is also a copy of the 2.1 update that has been modified only to include root access. The rest of the update is unchanged and in binary form (not custom or rebuilt from source). I think Pete over at alldroid packaged the one I saw.

Note: you'll need to be running stock 2.0.1 WITH ROOT to apply that update. You can revert back to 2.0.1 by flashing the sbf, then apply the root update, then apply the hacked 2.1 update. your end result will be a perfectly stock 2.1, with the addition of root access.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)

Links