DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Renaming or using multi sd cards?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID!

Renaming or using multi sd cards?

Hello, I am brand new to this and have a couple of questions. I am getting my droid tomorrow and I am considering rooting it for a couple of reasons(wifi tether, and full control over something I own being the main reasons). On the videos I have seen for rooting and unrooting your phone it involves deleting and installing a file called "update.zip" which brings up my first couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to keep the Original "update.zip" file on your sd and just rename it? That way I don't have to search the internet later and download the "unroot-update.zip" file in case I need to unroot.

2. If that is not possible(I don't see why, but like I said I'm new) would it work If I just copied my original sd card that comes with the droid to another sd card? That way I could keep the original as a backup, then if I need to unroot I could just switch out cards.

Thank you.
  2. Android Addict
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Dröid
    Premium Member
    You can rename the files all you want. Just make sure that when you actually want to apply them you rename or copy them to update.zip.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID!
    Thanks Vicious, I figured it wouldn't be a problem. I don't know why the people who made the videos didn't just do it that way, instead of deleting and then having to go back and re download? Maybe after I have had my droid for awhile i will start making my own videos, videos jam packed with common sense.
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    If your Droid has the 2.1 update on it, You can forget about rooting for a while....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by T0M5 View Post
    Hello, I am brand new to this and have a couple of questions. I am getting my droid tomorrow and I am considering rooting it for a couple of reasons(wifi tether, and full control over something I own being the main reasons). On the videos I have seen for rooting and unrooting your phone it involves deleting and installing a file called "update.zip" which brings up my first couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to keep the Original "update.zip" file on your sd and just rename it? That way I don't have to search the internet later and download the "unroot-update.zip" file in case I need to unroot.

2. If that is not possible(I don't see why, but like I said I'm new) would it work If I just copied my original sd card that comes with the droid to another sd card? That way I could keep the original as a backup, then if I need to unroot I could just switch out cards.

Thank you.
    Your sdcard doesn't come with an update.zip file, and it doesn't need to have one on it. Putting the file there is just the mechanism for initiating an update. The file only needs to be there when you actually select "install" from the recovery console. The rest of the time it's just a file on your SD Card taking up space.

Because it HAS to be named "update.zip", it is very easy to lose track of which file is which. Deleting the extra copies is a good way to make SURE you don't accidentally apply the wrong update.

Also - most people will only need to use an update once. Once you've rooted, you don't need the root update anymore, so there's not much point in hanging onto it. It's like the iTunes or firefox installer you download. Once you install the app, you don't need to keep the installer around anymore - chances are, when you want to install it again, there's a newer version anyway.

ALSO also - if you just got the 2.1 OTA update, you won't be able to root using the update.zip method. Currently, the only known way to root a 2.1 is using an application (RSD Lite, I think?) to flash an SBF image to the phone (the same way Verizon techs reflash a phone).
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)

Links