DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 2.1 update + rooted 2.1 update

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Fingers25 View Post
    These links don't work
    it is here:

Quote Originally Posted by iamfil View Post
    I found some issues with the previous version, so I made a new one. This version is packaged as an update.zip and fixes root as well as includes the new baseband. It does not wipe data.

update.zip

md5sum:
    6252e37b8ec6356238e4caaf029f3f9f update.zip
  2. ???
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    droid
    noob just getting into this question...

I'm unrooted stock 2.0.1 right now, I want to root for the wifi tethering, play with overclocking and little things like apps that work on rooted only phones. as I understand it, I don't have to load up a custom rom for those things, just root and load the apps.

so for me being stock and never rooted, will one of these rooted 2.1 zip files be the best way to go? the first page makes it sound like guys have to unroot to do this, then later it sounds like you have to be rooted first and use all this backups. I'm confused.

I just don't want to do the ota update then find a week later when I'm dead set on rooting that I made it harder on myself because I could have just installed the rooted 2.1 to begin with and be down with it.... if that's the case, I have mybackup pro, backing up for me now, will I need to run a different backup app to keep from losing anything?

sorry for all the questions, but this seemed like the best thread to ask them in.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by ??? View Post

I'm unrooted stock 2.0.1 right now, I want to root for the wifi tethering, play with overclocking and little things like apps that work on rooted only phones. as I understand it, I don't have to load up a custom rom for those things, just root and load the apps.

so for me being stock and never rooted, will one of these rooted 2.1 zip files be the best way to go? the first page makes it sound like guys have to unroot to do this, then later it sounds like you have to be rooted first and use all this backups. I'm confused.

I just don't want to do the ota update then find a week later when I'm dead set on rooting that I made it harder on myself because I could have just installed the rooted 2.1 to begin with and be down with it.... if that's the case, I have mybackup pro, backing up for me now, will I need to run a different backup app to keep from losing anything?

sorry for all the questions, but this seemed like the best thread to ask them in.
    You will need a different kernel for overclocking and depending on how you decide to tether, you may also need a kernel with iptables support.

The rom posted here will not work if you do not have a custom recovery image. It is not signed and will fail verification on stock recovery. In order to replace the recovery image, you need root access.

Don't do the OTA update, first root the phone, install a custom recovery (SPrecovery or clockwork), then you can update to this rom posted above or w/e else you want.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Overclocking with Adamz low voltage kernels worked for me using this method. I've got the rooted 2.1 running with no force closes at 1.2 GHz.
  5. ???
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    droid
    Quote Originally Posted by iamfil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ??? View Post

You will need a different kernel for overclocking and depending on how you decide to tether, you may also need a kernel with iptables support.

The rom posted here will not work if you do not have a custom recovery image. It is not signed and will fail verification on stock recovery. In order to replace the recovery image, you need root access.

Don't do the OTA update, first root the phone, install a custom recovery (SPrecovery or clockwork), then you can update to this rom posted above or w/e else you want.
    ok, deff more reading to do, but the ota update was waiting for me when I woke up this morning. will deff hold off on doing it.

off to search for sprecovery
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Links