DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: help with adb on mac

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

help with adb on mac

i think i did something wrong while setting up adb on my mac, because i cant get it to work at all, and whenever i open up a new terminal window, the second line always reads -bash: sdkfolder: No such file or directory. is there a way in which i can reverse this so that i can start the installation all over?

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    where did you put the sdk folder?
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    i put the sdk folder on my desktop. i also put fastboot in the tools folder of the sdk folder.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    i dunno about fastboot, what are you typing when you try to adb? are you changing directories with cd /tools folder location?
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    i dont know much about adb, so i dont really know what you mean by changing directories. all i did was follow a series of steps that were on a post on a thread started by JhankG
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    yeah i had some issues figuring it out myself. Here's what I did, in the simplest way I can explain it lol. I dunno anything about fastboot so ill tell you minus that part. I just put the sdk folder on my desktop like you did, open terminal, type cd / then drag the tools folder from the sdk folder into the terminal window (this should automatically put the directory in) and hit return. The cd is the change directory command. Then if you want to run adb commands you have to type in ./adb whatever command you want to use. ex. ./adb push /blah blah /system/app

If you have root and want to get into su then you have to run
    ./adb shell
    su

note that some roms will have custom scripts so basically once you cd you go into ./adb shell
    su
    run custom scripts.

some people say that you can run them once you change directories I think but I have found that on my intel mac that I have to run them in su.

It took me a long time to figure out a lot of this stuff through trial and error and asking lots of dumb questions here. JHank was actually one of the first people that helped me with all of this when i first started. Also just a little piece of advice, I have iwork and started keeping a doc in pages of various ways to do things through adb in terms and steps that I could understand, sort of like my own little adb notebook. You may not need it but it has saved me on many occasions from having to dig through threads and what not.

There are also many many threads on various adb commands around here so that you may actually have to search for.

If you
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    thanks man! i took what you said and fooled around a bit and was able to get it to work
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Good, glad to hear that. That's what its all about. The key thing to remember is always have a backup either through clockwork or sprecovery so if you break something you caN reboot into recovery and restore and all will be well
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #

How do I reset the terminal to fix the problem:-bash: /Users/account/documents/androi

I made a mistake trying to setup adb and now the terminal always starts up with:
    -bash: /Users/AndrewL/documents/android_sdk: No such file or directory
    how do I reset the terminal?

Links