DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am trying to root my phone, I see a bump on the road already though....

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

I am trying to root my phone, I see a bump on the road already though....

Hi DroidForum,

After doing some homework and research on the topic, I have decided to go ahead and root my phone but I seem to have run into a couple of technical difficulties, and also in need of some clarification.

I tried going to alldroid.org to obtain my root because it seems this the place where everyone goes to get their "update.zip" file to begin the process. Unfortunately the site seems to be down, and I don't know of another site that has this file that can help me get started. Any other suggestions?

I have read something about using a dmupdater to root your phone, would this be a good alternate choice? I was looking online at tutorials but it seems like the ones I have read have you follow up with installing a ROM right afterwards.

Also I am going to be doing this on a Mac instead of PC, is there any special procedures that I should know of before I get started or is it pretty much the same process as in the PC. I am not tech savy at all, just your average Joe who goes to school, loves sports, and likes to play video games lol.

This will be my first time doing anything like this to a phone so I am a little worried of the risks involved, but the things to gain seems to good that I have to make this jump.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...ation-etc.html

Use Matt's guide. Read it through all the way and understand what you are doing First. The guide works perfectly. All links work to get the files you need.

Learn to use the search function as well. This forum has so much good information and also is very well laid out. Good luck.

Edit: I believe you need a PC for certain things, but most of the stuff happens right on your phone with files, so probably not an issue to start with as long as you can mount your sd card and load them to your phone. Hopefully some of the senior members weigh in. Again, do a search in the hack forum and you will get answers if the issue is known.
    Last edited by GoGators; 03-28-2010 at 04:50 PM.
    Cyanogen 6.0
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    You didnt read his post, sorry.

Matt's link to get the update to enable SU is not functional.

Bandwith limits exceeded.

Does anyone have a link to the file? I cannot upload as mine is 10Mb and the limit is 9.something here.
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Solution coming shortly. Matt's link will get updated and Miami says DroidForums will host the file here.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I have a zip called droid-superuser-update, but couldn't attach here because the board zip limit is 9.something, and the file was 10.1mb ...
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    i did matt's entire walk thru using my mac. no real issues for me and i saw that at least one other person used a mac for it as well. the only thing that i had to do was use firefox to download the zip files because safari kept auto-opening all the zip downloads. other than that you should be fine.
    - But suddenly, I viddied that thinking was for the gloopy ones, and that the oomny ones use like, inspiration and what Bog sends. -
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    @christim- really? that would be great. how soon do they plan to link it here, or do you have insight to when the site will be back, a date? I like Matth3ws guide, its explains things very simple.

@threejane- thanks for the info. I was a little worried to use my Mac

@forkup- I read that link earlier today but it seems like the steps eventually lead you to using the droidmods ROM which is something I didn't plan on using. I cant seem to find a guide that simply just roots your phone like the website that I went to does ( apparently its Matth3ws, the one that has the droid root link thats currently down)

Thanks for your quick feedback, If there is no alternate method I guess I could just wait till the site comes back so that I can get that update zip file to root my phone
  10. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forkup View Post
    My vote's for this too. Yeah, it's pretty hands off, but it's quick and will get you to the point where you can begin playing with root.

It only leads to installing dm's rom if you click to install it. You can stop after it roots and flashes recovery and install any rom of your choice. That's how i got started on Bugless Beast.
    Last edited by Jonny Kansas; 03-28-2010 at 06:30 PM.
    Ran into a little snag? Have a question? Think your phone is only good to hold down rogue papers in a wind storm now? Visit the Rescue Squad!
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound - Un-bootloader
    USE DROIDMOD & DROIDMOD UPDATER!!!
    DMUpdater does EVERYTHING FOR YOU
    DroidMod - Everything Droid doesn't, DroidMod does.
    If youre new to all this, youre fed.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links