DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: hacking my droid...looking for advice please

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid

hacking my droid...looking for advice please

Hello. I am new to this forum and am seeking some advice.

I recently upgraded to a motorola droid on verizon network. I have had the phone since Feb. 28th. I was happy with the stock phone but I like to hack all my devices. I have been looking around for means to accomplish this.

I am going to follow some guides I found posted on YouTube for rooting along with his other guides:

Seems simple enough. I'm not new to hacking devices, I have jtaged a few xbox 360's in the last month, done countless amounts of video game system hacks, jailbroken a few iphones, recently flashed a linksys wrt-54GS with dd-wrt firmware. So I am not new to doing these kind of things. But am a total newbie when it comes to the motorola droid.

From what I understand, the root hack really does nothing to your phone except allow "administration" access. Not so much worried about that part.
    It's the flashing of of a custom rom that is of concern to myself.

I have read that when you flash a custom rom all your contacts and apps are gone. So I have to back up my contacts somehow (will be looking into this after this post). Then I will attempt root access.

One of my more concerning issues about this procedure is the possibility of "bricking" my droid. I of course would rather not have that happen. So I have been researching steps to take, that in case of a brick, I could recover from it. From what i understand all safety backup precautions require root access, although I could be mistaken.

I will be following this guide to make a backup of my stock rom.

After all the safety recover from brick options are in place then I will move on to flashing a custom rom. From the looks of things it seems that a lot of people claim that cyanogen is a really good one. Cyanogen is what I am currently planning on putting on my phone, unless someone has a better option. I really like this custom rom because it includes the "wifi tether hack" which is the main reason I am doing this. Overclocked kernel roms do not really matter to me as I plan on purchasing SetCPU for root user from the android market.

Most important to me, is I have no idea what this procedure does to my carrier settings. I have verizon wireless, after I flash a custom rom, can I still use my phone as normal, or do I have to go through some set up procedure for the phone, like they did in store when I purchased it.

So that's is about it for now, I am beginning this project as of now, starting with contact backup.

Please if anyone has some advice/pointers/help for me I would greatly appreciate them.

Thank you for spending your time reading my thread.

Edit: Just looked about backing up my contacts, that was pretty easy, made a vcard to keep on my PC, and also they were all already backed up in my gmail account. Cool, hope everything goes this smoothly.
    Last edited by DeathGrind; 03-27-2010 at 05:27 PM.
  2. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    for backing up, check out astro, mybackup or titanium backup

cyanogen isnt bad but theres a lot of other ones out there - check out the ROMs section in the hacking section of this forum

Bricking this phone is really hard and even if you manage to theres a good change you can get it working again

just because you use setcpu doesnt mean you can overclock - you must have an overclocking kernel (unless thats what cyanogen comes with - im not sure)

rooting/installing a rom will require you to do nothing to get your phone working again - wont have to contact verizon
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe21599 View Post
    for backing up, check out astro, mybackup or titanium backup

cyanogen isnt bad but theres a lot of other ones out there - check out the ROMs section in the hacking section of this forum

Bricking this phone is really hard and even if you manage to theres a good change you can get it working again

just because you use setcpu doesnt mean you can overclock - you must have an overclocking kernel (unless thats what cyanogen comes with - im not sure)

rooting/installing a rom will require you to do nothing to get your phone working again - wont have to contact verizon
    Thank you for the information. Much Appreciated!
    I have my contacts backed up now. I was going to do the root procedure, but unfortunately the links given in the youtube site are down.

Anyone know where I can find a safe file for rooting using that procedure?

Thanks again.

Edit: I had astro had no idea it could backup my apps.....I just did it. Thanks for that helpful little piece of info Abe21599.
    Last edited by DeathGrind; 03-27-2010 at 05:59 PM.
  4. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Abe21599 View Post
    Check out my sig

awesome! Thanks again Abe21599. I really appreciate your help. I bookmarked your sig link, that is very helpful.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    motorola droid
    Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

that is what I see when trying to download the file. Any mirrors?
  7. RS/Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Phone
    S3, G2, M8
    Premium Member
    cant seem to find any bc all seem to link back to the same site ill keep looking for you
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Cyanogen from what I hear is a good ROM but the recovery system that it uses is kinda wonky. I personally try and stay with the ROMs that use SPRecovery. That's a good way to go. Sounds like you've done some research, one thing to look at is the DMupdater in the market. It makes real quick easy work of rooting. Plus it gives a backup of your stock ROM if I'm not mistaken. Good luck and happy modding!
    Moto Droid
    ROM: UD 3.0
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    do you still need help?
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathGrind View Post
    Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

that is what I see when trying to download the file. Any mirrors?
    do you need help? i will help you put cyanogen rom on there it wont take but 20 minutes to root and run the rom
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links