DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: I am such a n00b...a few questions on backup

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    ROOTED THUNDERBOLT

I am such a n00b...a few questions on backup

WOW I am such a n00b!!!

A few questions.....

1) How do I unziped the tools folder after I download it on my sd card? Do I copy the tool zip folder to my coumputer....unzip it..then copy it into the root directory of the sd card?

2) Where can I find the latest recovery file? (0-99.2b.img)

3) After you go to the emulator and type in the 3 lines su etc....

you reboot in the recovery mode.....what option do you highlight to reboot your phone....I don't recall if the video instucted us.....I think it just ended on the recovery mode screen...

Thanks in advance and sorry for being such a frekin n00b....I rooted the phone already...and that got me scared LOL LOL

I am more scared to do stuff to my droid then I am riding my Harley LOL LOL

EDIT:: I found the latest version of the recovery file 99.3b so if someone can answer questions 1 & 3 I really would appreciate it
    Last edited by hogowner; 03-26-2010 at 08:58 AM.

3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogowner View Post
    WOW I am such a n00b!!!

A few questions.....

1) How do I unziped the tools folder after I download it on my sd card? Do I copy the tool zip folder to my coumputer....unzip it..then copy it into the root directory of the sd card?
    What tools folder?

you reboot in the recovery mode.....what option do you highlight to reboot your phone....I don't recall if the video instucted us.....I think it just ended on the recovery mode screen...
    In recovery on the first screen the first option is to reboot. You use the vol. up and down to navigate and the camera button to select what you want to do.

Thanks in advance and sorry for being such a frekin n00b....I rooted the phone already...and that got me scared LOL LOL

EDIT:: I found the latest version of the recovery file 99.3b so if someone can answer questions 1 & 3 I really would appreciate it
    Don't be afraid to tinker with your phone. Once you start you won't stop anyways If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    ROOTED THUNDERBOLT
    Quote Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hogowner View Post
    WOW I am such a n00b!!!

A few questions.....

What tools folder?

In recovery on the first screen the first option is to reboot. You use the vol. up and down to navigate and the camera button to select what you want to do.

Don't be afraid to tinker with your phone. Once you start you won't stop anyways If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
    With the droidroot program you have to download the tools......when you do, it downloads the folder as a zip ...how do you unzip the folder in the phone.....

PS thanks for answering....
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    You can either use your PC to unzip a file or use a file manager from the market (Astro for example).
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    ROOTED THUNDERBOLT
    Quote Originally Posted by cupfulloflol View Post
    You can either use your PC to unzip a file or use a file manager from the market (Astro for example).
    so in other words.following the steps in the video..when I open droidroot and press get the tools......it will downlaod the tool zip folder in my phone...I should then copy it into my pc...then unzip it...then place the unzipped tool folder back in the root of the sd card and delete the zip folder that I originally downloaded into the phone
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I have no clue what you are doing, because I have never watched a rooting video or used whatever program you are using. But to unzip it you never have to take it off your sdcard. If you mount the card you can unzip it, then remount it. You can take it off if you really feel you must, you shouldn't have to delete the zip or anything.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    ROOTED THUNDERBOLT
    Quote Originally Posted by cupfulloflol View Post
    I have no clue what you are doing, because I have never watched a rooting video or used whatever program you are using. But to unzip it you never have to take it off your sdcard. If you mount the card you can unzip it, then remount it. You can take it off if you really feel you must, you shouldn't have to delete the zip or anything.
    it is not a rooting video...is the nandroid backup video....it shows you how to back up your files.....I want to overclcok my droid and it is better to back up your files when you do something like this....especially if you are going to try a new rom....

did you ever hear of the droidroot app? When you back up your files for the first time you have to run this app. There is a tab that you have to press called "get the tools"..it downloads a a zip folder.....I was wondering how you unzit this folder...
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I have heard of the droidroot program, but never touched it. I am not sure what it does, and really it doesn't matter.

You asked how to unzip a file. I have told you twice now how to unzip it; two different ways of accomplishing it as well.

Links