DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teathering with proxoid

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr

Thumbs up Teathering with proxoid

Hey guys,

Im new to the forum and I figured what way to make my mark besides telling you guys about an APP i discovered for tethering called proxoid.
    It seems to look pretty promising especially considering the claim that it makes where you can actually tether your phone without having to root it.

It claims to use the USB debugging mode on the phone along with the phones drivers. I know that was "very" insightful, but just like you right now im pretty brand new to this app. I figured id just spread the word. I will be attempting to use my phone to make a successful connection to the internet later tonight and will respond later with my findings and a writeup.

proxoid - Project Hosting on Google Code

The usb driver on the website above did not work for me so i found this ->http://www.smilepak.com/temp/Droid_USB_Driver.zip
    Last edited by clwither; 11-16-2009 at 05:15 PM.

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr
    Hey guys!!! GOOOD NEWS!!! IT WORKS!!! HAHA

Ok so here are the steps.
    Downloads:
    1) Use the website above proxoid - Project Hosting on Google Code to download the appropriate adb for your opperating system
    2) Download the SDK developers pack from Download the Android SDK | Android Developers
    3) Download Proxoid from the Android Market on your Droid

Installation:
    1) Turn on USB Debugging on the phone
    2) Your computer may or may not have come up with a message saying that it cannot install a driver, thats cool thats what the SDK is for =).
    3) Map the driver
    right click my comp>manage>device manager> right click the A855 and select update driver software.

This should give you a prompt and you want to manually select the driver. Make sure at this point you have extracted the files from both downloads. You should browse to the location of the SDK pack (android-sdk_r3-windows.zip) that you extracted earlier and click ok.

At this point windows should b*tch about the driver not being certified so just click ok.

4) Within the ADB proxoid-adb*.zip that you downloaded earlier, make sure that you have extracted the files before continuing...

Within the second proxoid-adb64 folder there should be a total of four actual files. Take the Check.bat and start-tunnel.bat and place them in the tools folder of the SDK pack.

Run check.bat, if you see a device listed your good. Run start-tunneling.bat

5) Start what ever browser that your using, enable proxy server. server should be localhost and port 8080 is what proxoid uses by default

I used information from proxoid - Project Hosting on Google Code to create this installation guide and of course im not responsible if you F up!!!

WE GOT TETHERING GUYS!!!!
    Last edited by clwither; 11-16-2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: had to add a step
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    might be a stupid question...

do we get charge for this or won't verizon know this and we have to pay extra?
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    this doesnt cost anything, if you own the droid then you already have a dataplan so its fine...this exact topic is discussed a LOT, lil round here lil round google and everywhere....so i'll just say no, no it doesnt cost anything and no verizon wont say anything
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by EntropikOne View Post
    this doesnt cost anything, if you own the droid then you already have a dataplan so its fine...this exact topic is discussed a LOT, lil round here lil round google and everywhere....so i'll just say no, no it doesnt cost anything and no verizon wont say anything

SUHWEET!! Thanks Brah!!
    "Bad decisions make great stories"

Motorola Droid
    Samsung Omnia sch-i910
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid / Ubuntu 9.10
    wouldnt be doing any heavy downloading or torrent use. wouldnt tether to download like ubuntu or something. then they might do something. and thats a very very big maybe
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    it works just great!! thanks dude!
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    There's another free app called Tetherbot, which also lets you setup a SOCKS proxy using the phone. It also lets you setup a secure tunnel to a particular address. I looked at both and installed Tetherbot over Proxoid, but I haven't tried it out yet with my laptop just to make sure everything is working. It's pretty much perfect for me because I use tethering very little. Just in case I lose my internet temporarily or if I'm in a location without internet.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    MotoDroid

Another Atlernative

This works very well on my droid.

PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by sian0120 View Post