DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPRecovery what does this mean?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

SPRecovery what does this mean?

I read alot about SPRecovery but no explanation as to what it does. I just successfully rooted my phone by using this forum (Big thumbs up) awesome job. Now I am trying to continue what features I can start using on it. I know SPRecovery is the next step but am curious if its a backup program to save my DROID in case I need to revert back? Thanks
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    sprecovery is a program that you install to your droid that yes, will make particular backups, and allow you to install ROMs.

Other rooters here will be able to give you a better description.

Whether or not you will use SP or something else depends on what ROM you want to go to.
  3. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    _Flomaster
    Phone
    DROOOOOOOOOOOiid
    Premium Member
    it replaces your stock recovery console and allows you to back up your droids data so you can restore the backup in case you Fugg up.

if you have just rooted then you have only instaled the update.zip file and have SU permissions
    how about you check out "ROM Manger" in the market and install Clockwork Recovery and Koushs Cyanogen ROM its the BEST ROM to date

-=Jason=-
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    SGN
    That is exactly what SPrecovery is. It allows you make backups of your phone and restore it. It replaces the stock recovery system that came with your phone, and will assist you in installing ROMs.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    SPRecovery is almost like a safe boot in windows. It allows you root acces (like DOS level commands...or maybe more like setup in CMOS level commands). When you hold the X button on the physical keyboard and then press the power button to turn the Droid on (all the while continuing to hold the X key) it boots in to recovery console. The phone comes with a recovery console built in but it does not give the option to do a nandroid backup. It is a tool used by Verizon to fix a screwed up phone. SPRecovery was developed by someone whose first name starts with s and last name starts with P (I wish I could recall his name so I could give him proper credit) and allows a few more options. Like I said, it offers an option to do nandroid backups. It also allows you to chose the ROM you want to install or recover a backup you made previously.

You can use simple tools like DM Updater to install SPRecovery. You won't even know you installed it. Or you can use SDK Tools from Android Developers to load it in an adb shell. A little more complicated, but at least you know you did it and it alloows more control...like using the version you want.

Clockwork also has a recovery console. It has even more options...or maybe not more, but different options from SPRecovery.

SPRecovery seems to be the most popular right now so you will get more help in these forums for it. But Clockwork seems to be gaining some traction so that could change.

Hope that helps. I know these boards can be hard to read because the older posters (the ones with vast amounts of knowledge) seem to expect you to know what's going on in their heads and they get sick of answering the same thing over and over. But trust me...keep reading...take notes...digest it. In time you will be answering noob questions yourself. I'm a teacher by trade so I tend to talk at a lower level than typically seen in forums. If I talk too low, let me know and I'll take it up a notch. Conversely...if I am over your head, duck! No just kiddin...let us know.

Nate
    Last edited by nateccnn; 03-27-2010 at 07:56 PM.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid

Thumbs up

Nate, just picked up a Droid a few days ago, dislike being locked out, having things run under an icon and not know what or why. It was quickly apparent that there were options but where to start. Your post was a great help.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    SPRecovery = Sir Psychosis Recovery
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid on Verizon
    Where to you get sprecovery or dmupdater from?
  9. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgdave View Post
    Where to you get sprecovery or dmupdater from?

Read through the first link in my signature. sprecovery installation instructions are there. dmupdater can be gotten at droidmod.org and is an automatic installation program. Both the manual method and the dmupdater will root your phone and install sprecovery, or rather replace your current bootloader with sprecovery. dmupdater will also install a rom for you, if you'd like. If you would rather you can decide to install a different rom. Visit the rom section of the forum here, look over the options, check out the install directions. I've outlined the steps I took to root, install sprecovery, do a backup, and install a rom in my signature. I haven't had to use the 3rd link yet.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    A warning, though, about SPRecovery. I found out today that having SPRecovery on my Droid voided its warranty. My phone would not get past the Moto logo so I took it in and that's how they found out. Since they wouldn't fix my phone, I took it back and said I'll do it myself...

Since then, I have done a hard reset and installed the 2.1 update on the Droid. It now works beautifully. Verizon can take a long walk off a short pier as far as I'm concerned...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links