DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cyanogen Help

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Cyanogen Help

Ok so last night I took the plunge to root (video: rooting/unrooting a motorola droid with droidmod 1.0 – part 1 | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog) , and going to the Cyanogen ROM.
    I followed the steps on this video. (Video: Installing CyanogenMod V5.0.4.2 for Droid | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog)
    My ONLY issue is after loading the ROM i downloaded onto the SD card it goes into the Clockwork Recovery Screen and Installs the ROM (In about 10Seconds) It completes fine (or so it says) but i never get the welcome screen, it takes me to the 2.1 screen but it is missing a TON of apps (gmail, market, others i cant remember off hand). Has anyone else seen issues like this? Did I maybe miss a step? I did make make a secesful backup of my phone before the attempt to load the new ROM so i am back to the way it was before. I would really like to use the Cyanogen ROM but dont want to keep having the same luck. (I did re do the entire process twice and got the same result)

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Anyone have any helpful additions to this?
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus i515
    I installed using the nandroid backup file that was posted on alldroid.

You can also rename the cyanogen rom update.zip and install it using SPRecovery.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    It should take more than 10 seconds to install. So..do this.

-Go to the market.
    -Click Menu.
    - Click Downloads
    -See if there is an update to ROM Manager.
    -If there is download the update and install. (There was a new version sometime yesterday.
    -Open ROM Manager and click to flash ClockworkMod Recovery.
    -Click Download ROM.
    -Click 5.0.5.3 (newest stable version)
    -A dialog will come up that will say Google Apps with a check mark.
    -Select that check mark.
    -Hit OK.
    -The ROM will start downloading. (Expect about 10-15 min on 3g, about 5 on Wifi depending on your connection.)
    -When it's done downloading it will ask if you would like to back up existing ROM and if you would like to wipe data and cache.
    -I recommend clicking both boxes and hit OK.
    -Phone will reboot into recovery.
    -ClockworkMod will backup and install probably will take about 5 minutes to do both.

-Can't remember if it auto reboots when its done or will just go to the ClockworkMod menu. either case you are all done.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by roberj13 View Post
    It should take more than 10 seconds to install. So..do this.

-Go to the market.
    -Click Menu.
    - Click Downloads
    -See if there is an update to ROM Manager.
    -If there is download the update and install. (There was a new version sometime yesterday.
    -Open ROM Manager and click to flash ClockworkMod Recovery.
    -Click Download ROM.
    -Click 5.0.5.3 (newest stable version)
    -A dialog will come up that will say Google Apps with a check mark.
    -Select that check mark.
    -Hit OK.
    -The ROM will start downloading. (Expect about 10-15 min on 3g, about 5 on Wifi depending on your connection.)
    -When it's done downloading it will ask if you would like to back up existing ROM and if you would like to wipe data and cache.
    -I recommend clicking both boxes and hit OK.
    -Phone will reboot into recovery.
    -ClockworkMod will backup and install probably will take about 5 minutes to do both.

-Can't remember if it auto reboots when its done or will just go to the ClockworkMod menu. either case you are all done.
    I am downloading this now from ROM manager... I did try to download just the ROM by this method and got the same result. I will post when the download is done.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    I would say that you downloaded the just the ROM part of the CyanogenMod ROM.

The ROM comes in like 2 parts, as you'll see while downloading deom ROM Manager. The other part of the package is the Google Apps. The developer has to include these separate for legal reasons. It is considered some illegal distributing/warez crap if they are included with the ROM for some reason. I know, makes no sense.

But, from what I gather about this, CyanogenMod ROMs are the only ROMs that do this. And the reason is that, CyanogenMod has been around so long in the Google/Android world, and has become so famous, that this technically illegal act would be noticed by Google and authorities. Other ROMs have not gained this much attention except for in these very forums and maybe a little across the web. CyanogenMod has become a sort of legend in the Android world since the first Android device, the G1.

But anyway, that's why the Google Apps are included separate.

8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Ok so the download finished. Phone rebooted to the recovery... got a message about cant load the cache... still no Cyanogen. Why would the video in the first post not mention anything about the google apps needing to be loaded/downloaded separate. Should i return to stock and try this all over again? I still have a backup of my system from before i tried all this?
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Ok so i went to stock. Factory reset. Rooted with DMUpdater, ran ROM manager, flashed the clockwork, selected the zip file i placed on my sd card, chose wipe data and cache, hit ok and it does nothing.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jmackxiii View Post
    Ok so i went to stock. Factory reset. Rooted with DMUpdater, ran ROM manager, flashed the clockwork, selected the zip file i placed on my sd card, chose wipe data and cache, hit ok and it does nothing.
    This shouldn't be it, since I assume cyanogenmod's stuff is smart enough to check, but is your sdcard low on space? How much available space is on your sdcard?
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Card space is not an issue.. about 10 gigs free
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links