DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Going to root: Best method, apps & uses without losing data?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Going to root: Best method, apps & uses without losing data?

Ok, after waiting patiently for 2.1 I've decided to throw in the towel and root later tonight. Now I want to run some questions passed you root experts. I know this has all been covered before, but I searched these things and there is just too much info returned.

I don't want to lose any settings, data, desktop layout, etc. From what I gather I can safely root and not worry about this. Loading a custom rom is where I end up losing settings and layout, etc. Is this accurate? What would be the best method to root and have my phone appear to be the same when done?

After that is done, what is next? I am going to avoid a custom rom for now, and don't want to change anything or add anything that will be unstable, so I think I'll pass on the active wallpapers for now (can this be done without losing settings?). I think I'd like to be able to set the processor speed so it's higher when active and lower when not so I can get speed and increase battery power. How can I do that as a stand alone function? I also want to add the wifi tether. I've seen a few methods for this as well. Any preferred method? I would like to add the "superuser" privileges I've read about, but then what else? Is there anything else really cool, functional, fun, necessary that is still stable and isn't going to reset my phone?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: so far Im linking this thread for a lot of the things: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...ation-etc.html Any suggestions or deviations from any of this?

Also, I get that I'll be able to backup the phone w/nandroid, but it says I have to flash, is that going to erase data? Wont my backup then be of a rooted droid? How can I make an image of the phone pre-root so I can go back to that quickly if need be and/or or the official 2.1 update?
    Last edited by pudah; 03-21-2010 at 03:22 PM.
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    You'll need to use a 2.0.1 ROM to prevent data loss, which conveniently narrows your options to DroidMod. You could also use DroidMod just to root, and leave your phone completely intact otherwise.

EDIT: Ok, not on the phone now, let me do a better job answering:

I don't want to lose any settings, data, desktop layout, etc. From what I gather I can safely root and not worry about this. Loading a custom rom is where I end up losing settings and layout, etc. Is this accurate? Yes, rooting alone will not have an effect on your phone's appearance and functionality (aside from adding to it)

What would be the best method to root and have my phone appear to be the same when done? DroidMod (droidmod.org) is the easiest way to do this. Again, rooting alone will not change your ROM or what your phone currently looks like and functions like

After that is done, what is next? WiFi Tether, screenshots, custom ROMs. The list is endless, you'll have to get a better idea of what you do and dont want to do to answer this question.

I think I'd like to be able to set the processor speed so it's higher when active and lower when not so I can get speed and increase battery power. How can I do that as a stand alone function? You need a custom ROM to modify the clock speed. DroidMod is right now the closest thing to what you're familiar with to allow you to overclock, it's also the least recently released ROM.

I also want to add the wifi tether. I've seen a few methods for this as well. Any preferred method? Just visit the dev's site and download and install the APK

I would like to add the "superuser" privileges I've read about, but then what else? Is there anything else really cool, functional, fun, necessary that is still stable and isn't going to reset my phone? Tons, too much to add to this post. I suggest poking around the stickies and app threads.

In summation, you're probably interested in using DroidMod to root, and possibly DroidMod to overclock your phone. There are a few ways to save data, home screen, settings, messages and all that, but they will require other apps, and are not guaranteed to be cross compatible between 2.0.1 (old) and 2.1 (new) ROMs.

Have fun.
    Last edited by LtKen; 03-21-2010 at 03:08 PM.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Twitter
    VTCapsFan
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    you can save your home screens and all your apps and data with mybackup pro
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Droid
    First things first. Obtain root. Obtaining Root | Root Your Droid This will not change or remove any of your settings.

Second, set up ADB. Android Debug Bridge | Root Your Droid You need this to do much of the stuff you want to do.

Next, set up Sprecovery. Custom Recovery Image | Root Your Droid You need this so that if anything you do hurts your phone, you can restore it. Again, this will not remove or change settings

Then you need to backup with Sprecovery. Full System Backup Using Nandroid | Root Your Droid You can restore this is ever need be. Again, this will not change/remove settings

Ok, now we can get to the fun stuff.
    Wifi Tether/Overclock http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ution-2-x.html This will not remove setting/layout. Also, this tells you how to root and install sprecovery and such, but it has old files for that. Use the links I provided. Skip down to step number 4.

Busybox Install Busybox | Root Your Droid This allows you to do many other things, including add themes.

Custom Roms Droid rom links This WILL remove all of your settings and layouts!

Hope this helps. Have fun!
  5. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    If I were in your position, before I did anything to my phone, I would read this entire link
    (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...ation-etc.html). Matt steps you through the rooting process, backing up you apps and data, and installing a new rom. There is a sectionon page 2 about Titanium backup that should interest you.

Mike
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Team Chaos Redrum v1.1 @1gz
    I just rooted my droid on Wednesday night and installed a custom rom that night too. If you just root you phone you will just have a rooted phone with the same exact os you have now besides the superuser ninja app in the drawer. If you are upgrading to get a 2.1 brew of the OS you have to also get a custom rom. I tried Ultimate Droid, Bugless Beast, And Finally Simply Stunning. I kept simply stunning. Overclock is an important feature for me so unless my phone breaks at running simply stunning @ 1.2 ghz I will continue to have it rooted even after 2.1 goes live. If you simply want 2.1 and that is mainly what you are doing this for I might just try and stick it out for now. I am a newb and it took me atleast 10 hrs of total time so far between getting roms trying them and changing to what I have now, plus I am going to make custom drawer icons and opening boot sequence. It is fun to me but it wouldn't be worth the time if al I did it for was the update. If you need help use this link http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...=bugless+beast it is an amazing tutorial with ALL links any noob would need

You asked about the link it tells you how to flash a rom with nandroid and update.zip methods just follow the steps with the same with whatever rom you tried I used nandroid first update.zip next and then nandroid again to her simply stunning. It worked fine all three times with me (if the code looks like it has spaces it most likely does)
    Last edited by pullmehome; 03-21-2010 at 03:32 PM.
  7. Banned
    Member #
    Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bugless Beast 2.1 ROM @ 1.1GHz
    Anyone run into any problems that need updating in my thread?
  8. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    DroidMod - Everything Droid doesn't, DroidMod does.. Download DMupdater. Follow the screens instructions.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  9. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    no no no, follow the links in my sig! j/k

I often wonder if those who decide to root end up more confused once they ask what's the best way to go about rooting

All of the above is good advice. I'll add that I do not have the SDK and don't use ADB so wouldn't call that a required step. I do understand it lets you use your PC keyboard to type commands in vs the droid's keyboard, which can simplify things.

So, for more advice: use Droidmod if typing commands worries you. Visit the rom section of these forums if you want to do things manually, step by step, to learn what's going on in the background. Finally, if you don't like the rom you end up with you can swap it for another easy enough.

me? I'm off to read the link mwhartman posted, even though I've rooted, overclocked, changed rom's, applied themes, etc.
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  10. Banned
    Member #
    Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bugless Beast 2.1 ROM @ 1.1GHz
    That thread is my newer, updated thread to the one you have in your sig. The one in your sig is 2.0.1 the new one is 2.1
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links