DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goin for the root! Some Q's

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Goin for the root! Some Q's

So I have a few question, namely while following the guide by Matth3w
    1. Everyone says make a backup but it seems as though he dives right in without and does the backup later in the process, that is ok to do right?
    2. I don't seem him saying that I should do a factory reset before rooting, is that something I should do?
    3. I want to install either Ultimate droid or BB but I'm not really sure what either has over each other. As in why this one is better than this one but this has this.
    4. Would anyone be willing to hold my hand while I do this?

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_Droid View Post
    1. Everyone says make a backup but it seems as though he dives right in without and does the backup later in the process, that is ok to do right?
    2. I don't seem him saying that I should do a factory reset before rooting, is that something I should do?
    3. I want to install either Ultimate droid or BB but I'm not really sure what either has over each other. As in why this one is better than this one but this has this.

Since this is Matt3w's guide, pm him these questions.

Personally if I were you I'd go to www.droidmod.org and download dmupdater. But that's up to you.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Moto-Droid - rooted
    Premium Member
    It goes like this: root, install sprecovery, create backup, install rom (look at my sig for a breakdown of this)

1) in order to create a backup you need to install sprecovery. In order to do that you need to be rooted.
    2) no need for the factory reset, follow the steps he has (its link 1 in my sig too) and follow them to the letter. Take your time and it will go just fine.
    3) All of the roms basically do the same thing. Go to the rom section of the forum and look at the first post for each one. Usuauly there is a list of included options. Wi-fi tethering, overclocking, swype included, or helix launcher included. Each one will be themed a little different too. And more importantly, if you don't care for the one you chose it is easy to go and swap in another. I'll tell you to use smoked glass, Matt will say Bugless Beast and Hook will say Droidmod. Use your gut, pick one with a good set of instructions, and we're here for you.
    4...see the end of 3
    Chris

If you apply a rom or theme - backup first!
    If you don't know how to backup...Stop until you do.
    hint: I name my backups like this: sg6.0_20100428 or ss4.2_20100626 to easily find them later. rom and date.

Have a Problem, Click here to Visit the Rescue Squad
  5. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    I agree with Christim's comments. I used Matt's process and was able to root and install Bugless Beast without any problems. I suggest that you print Matt's process and read it several times before you actually root. You can make notes, highlight areas that you feel uncomfortable with then post your question. Someone will be here to assist you with any problem.

Mike
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Woo! That actually wasn't to hard
    Everything seems to be succesful. I went with Ultimate Droid for the time being. One kink that I couldn't find however, how do I get my contacts back?
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Woo! That actually wasn't to hard
    Everything seems to be succesful. I went with Ultimate Droid for the time being. One kink that I couldn't find however, how do I get my contacts back?
    They should be synced with your Google account. Just make sure your sync settings are setup to get your contacts. Settings < Accounts and Sync < Manage
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Oh right on! Guessing I'll have to manually sync them back to facebook (for the icon pictures) But that's ok, everything looks totally worth it! Still working on getting overclocked
  9. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Keep going!
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Awesome! I think everything is golden now! You guys certainly are supportive
    Two force restarts actually... hrmm.. maybe it's Over clocked to high or something
    Last edited by Rocky_Droid; 03-21-2010 at 05:07 PM.
  11. Banned
    Member #
    Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Bugless Beast 2.1 ROM @ 1.1GHz
    Did you use my guide? Just curious? I just made it a little more clear in an updated first post that it wasn't JUST for Bugless Beast.

What kernel are you using?

sometimes I found that just restarting the phone a few times clears up any issues.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links