DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Droid Forums Rescue Squad

1. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    Ok....I think I have a general idea to frame this. Is it possible to setup a FAQ section for hacks, but have listed somewhere the names of people available to help that are online currently? I think this is the key. Knowing you will get help. Admins can limit the size of the group of course and it would not be part of the DF staff. Just droiders helping droiders.

I think this can be hashed out, there's a lot of smart people here. I have a feeling it will work well.
  2. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
    Ok....I think I have a general idea to frame this. Is it possible to setup a FAQ section for hacks, but have listed somewhere the names of people available to help that are online currently? I think this is the key. Knowing you will get help. Admins can limit the size of the group of course and it would not be part of the DF staff. Just droiders helping droiders.

I think this can be hashed out, there's a lot of smart people here. I have a feeling it will work well.
    I'm liking that idea...If there were just a way to put everyone who wants to be on the squad on the FAQs section, but also make a way to show who out of those people are currently logged in/available to help.

That'd work a lot better for me than having to list specific times that I can be available. If I'm on, I'm available to help, and if I start helping, I'll stick with it until the problem is solved or at least get someone to an acceptable level of working order before having to break away for other things maybe, or having someone else who's got a better idea take over...
    Ran into a little snag? Have a question? Think your phone is only good to hold down rogue papers in a wind storm now? Visit the Rescue Squad!
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    This could be very easy to achieve. The admins could set up a new help section in the forum. Break it into subforums for the different categories. Then set up a group Droid helpers or whatever. They could have permission to reply and close theads. People could ask a question by Starting a new thread the helper could walk through with the OP and when the problem is resolved the helper could close the thread. That will leave a clear record o the issue for others to search for.
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Idk if ability to close the thread is the best idea though...I mean, if I stumbled upon something that explains how to fix the problem I'm having and see that someone was able to help someone else get it all sorted out, but then I ran into a problem while attempting to follow the instructions, it'd be nice to just be able to add to that same thread, thereby creating an even more in-depth log of how to fix the issue or accomplish the task, rather than closing it and someone having to create a new thread for help on the same topic...
    Ran into a little snag? Have a question? Think your phone is only good to hold down rogue papers in a wind storm now? Visit the Rescue Squad!
  5. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Also, what would the criteria be to become part of the squad? Just be someone that the mod's feel would be an asset, or write up an essay on why you should be included? I like this idea a lot, but I'd hate to see it simply aggravate people because someone thought they were up to the challenge of helping out and ended up leading someone astray...and I'd hate to think that I was the one who did that, if that was the case...
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Kansas View Post
    Idk if ability to close the thread is the best idea though...I mean, if I stumbled upon something that explains how to fix the problem I'm having and see that someone was able to help someone else get it all sorted out, but then I ran into a problem while attempting to follow the instructions, it'd be nice to just be able to add to that same thread, thereby creating an even more in-depth log of how to fix the issue or accomplish the task, rather than closing it and someone having to create a new thread for help on the same topic...
    Problem with that could be that instead o the original answer being at the end of the thread it could wind up in the middle of a multi page thread. Then the thread could get off topic and become very long and confusing. Me personally, I can't stand having to read pages and pages of replays to find a simple answer. Closing the thread will stop the confusion that we have now. This is a suggestion for a 1 on 1 help section.
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    455 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Premium Member
    Also, what would the criteria be to become part of the squad? Just be someone that the mod's feel would be an asset, or write up an essay on why you should be included? I like this idea a lot, but I'd hate to see it simply aggravate people because someone thought they were up to the challenge of helping out and ended up leading someone astray...and I'd hate to think that I was the one who did that, if that was the case...
    Good point.. like posted earlier we all try to help each other out. we all have diffrent set of talents and times available. we don't need mod status to do this. there are already a few names of people that come to mind that if i need help i check out there posts in related topics. and they are not mods.. just my 2 cents
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coryh83 View Post
    Problem with that could be that instead o the original answer being at the end of the thread it could wind up in the middle of a multi page thread. Then the thread could get off topic and become very long and confusing. Me personally, I can't stand having to read pages and pages of replays to find a simple answer. Closing the thread will stop the confusion that we have now. This is a suggestion for a 1 on 1 help section.
    So you update the OP with the important information. It's already got the question or problem, you take the valuable information and add it to the OP. Anyone who wants to read through all of the steps or trial/errors or whatever can.

I really think we'd say a LOT more repeat threads if people came to a thread for help and it was closed.

What's the point of even creating a thread for one-on-one help? Might as well take the session to gtalk, then just copy the chat history when you're done, create a thread, then close it...

Just my opinion. There's gotta be a better way...I don't like searching through pages and pages either, but like I already stated, if I find a thread that's close to my issue, but I've got a problem with the solution not working correctly, I wouldn't want to be the guy who gets the "Search is your friend" comments from random users because I had to create another thread on a VERY similar problem due to the fact that the thread I found that ALMOST had what I needed was closed before I found it and I couldn't just ask a question to get clarification or a little more help...
  9. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1688 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    With all do respect. Though it is not your job to help; it is something that makes the community go. I try to help every one I can, but that was because someone helped me. Some one thanks me and I tell them to just pass on the help. We do not need a rescue squad IMO. Who here do not see a person who starts a thread "Help......." do not click and try to help. That does not make you a rescuer, that makes you a fellow droider who wants to help someone enjoy their device.
    The fact that we have the friendly, helpful community is what make df one of the best droid forums on the web. I say scratch the idea. You should not need a badge to help some one. Its something you should do because some one helped you.
    jstafford1 likes this.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    That is a good point as long as all the answers were in the OP. I have yet to see that happen though. Instead of closing the thread the helper could add answered to the title of the thread.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links