DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Droid Forums Rescue Squad

1. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Droid DNA
    I have pushed this up the food chain here @ DF, I will let you know how it turns out, or you will see a change in the forums to reflect this idea.

I personally Like this Idea !!!!
    Where Ever you Go! There You Are !!
  2. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    Thank you JimMariner. Looking forward to seeing something happen on this!
  3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    i like the idea too. not sure how to make it happen, but i'm sure it is doable on some level. remember though, there are some of us that put our gtalk address in our sigs for reasons such as these..

what would you suggest? a sticky with gtalk info so one could contact someone directly for assistance? a scheduled "class time" maybe twice a week where someone runs through the basics in a chat room? maybe just improve on the FAQ section (which we are working on anyway)? what exactly are you looking for?

the problem with gtalk is that whatever issues are solve are not recorded on the forums, so its not beneficial for everyone else. also, 40k members are likely to have an answer faster than any one person. the problem with a chat room is the same as gtalk, nothing recorded for others and a relatively small audience...
    Last edited by Sam; 03-16-2010 at 11:04 AM.
    -Respect is rule #1
    -Email us at DroidForumPromo@gmail to become a Supporting Vendor.
    -Not around as often as I used to be... Still, feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help with!
  4. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    i like the idea too. not sure how to make it happen, but i'm sure it is doable on some level. remember though, there are some of us that put our gtalk address in our sigs for reasons such as these..

what would you suggest? a sticky with gtalk info so one could contact someone directly for assistance? a scheduled "class time" maybe twice a week where someone runs through the basics in a chat room? maybe just improve on the FAQ section (which we are working on anyway)? what exactly are you looking for?

the problem with gtalk is that whatever issues are solve are not recorded on the forums, so its not beneficial for everyone else. also, 40k members are likely to have an answer faster than any one person. the problem with a chat room is the same as gtalk, nothing recorded for others and a relatively small audience...
    I agree about the gtalk thing! I've walked people through the adb guide you'll find in my sig via gtalk, only to have to update the thread, but what happens when you're simply responding to a question? Doesn't seem like it makes sense to create a thread with the chat history in it...

Idk...

When I messed my phone up last night, I got a pretty damn quick response from at least a handful of members, and we stayed in the thread as opposed to moving to gtalk. Not only did I get the problem solved with wonderful help, NOW there's a record, so I agree there...

If you went with a "class" idea, you'd most certainly have to create a thread where the "minutes" of the class could be posted for anyone who missed it/people who joined after the class...

TBH though, I didn't even know the forum had a FAQs section...lol
    Ran into a little snag? Have a question? Think your phone is only good to hold down rogue papers in a wind storm now? Visit the Rescue Squad!
  5. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member

Not totally sure on how to implement it, but my thoughts were to have a group of voulunteers that have times listed they are availible to help. Can have it setup like the ROM section, instead of Devs, have categories for issues. I know people have gtalk and other methods of communicating with them in sigs, but I look around alot and see a great deal of posts where people need help and either may not get a quick response for one reason or another. Sometimes people just link them to another thread or don't have the time to stick with someone and walk through the issue. I recently helped someone over the course of 3 days to get their phone straightened out. This was through gtalk. Now we could use gtalk as a means of working out the issue, and to keep the threads clean and orderly have the person who helped write a synopsis of what happened and how it was resolved here so others can read it. The concept needs some fleshing out, but I think having a "go-to" crew here on the forum would benefit everyone. Like I've said before it is just an idea I wanted to see if could, or wanted to be done. I understand if the staff doesn't think it's needed and am fine with that. I just enjoy helping out around here and am trying to think of ways to improve the process.
  6. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    oh i think the staff realizes there is a need for help, our concern is the recording of the process and outcome. if it isn't helpful for anyone else, it is nearly pointless...

maybe you could start a social group and advertise in your sig, get people to volunteer for the work.. set up some rules, like how to record the findings, etc. maybe it could all be posted in one thread (stickied so it's easy to find) and recurring questions posted in the original post and also moved to the FAQ section?

like you said, just unpacking the idea right now..
    -Respect is rule #1
    -Email us at DroidForumPromo@gmail to become a Supporting Vendor.
    -Not around as often as I used to be... Still, feel free to PM me if there is anything I can help with!
  7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    oh i think the staff realizes there is a need for help, our concern is the recording of the process and outcome. if it isn't helpful for anyone else, it is nearly pointless...

maybe you could start a social group and advertise in your sig, get people to volunteer for the work.. set up some rules, like how to record the findings, etc. maybe it could all be posted in one thread (stickied so it's easy to find) and recurring questions posted in the original post and also moved to the FAQ section?

like you said, just unpacking the idea right now..
    I agree, the recording part is the stickler. It's also one of the reasons I decided to float this idea out there. There are so many threads out there covering so much I know people get overwhelmed. I've got no clue on setting up a social group on my own, and also think it would be of more use here. Like you said we've got over 40000 member and constantly growing. I think the main thing I'm trying to get too is a more personal approach to issues, be it user error or otherwise. This is a great community and want it to be the best it can be. If there's no feasable or logical way to do this, then I might try and go the social group route or some other way.

I appreciate the feedback on this, good or bad. It's good to get people thinking outside the box on these things.
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    Droid DNA
    Maybe a FAQs section in the Hacking area would be better, so it doesn't get lost among all the normal FAQs. I to don't want to see any information lost because it was just listed in chat.

But remember, GTalk, if you have the option checked in your settings, saves a record of all your chats in your Google Email account.

So those chats can be edited out, to include the important info and questions that may come up during a chat, then can be posted as a help thread afterwards. So GTalk can be a valuable tool in this.
    Where Ever you Go! There You Are !!
  9. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    Jonny_Ks
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Premium Member
    The only problem I see with creating these synopsis threads is the search issue that arises frequently. Would these be added to the faq, our how would you make them easy to find? Because you'll still get people just linking someone to the synopsis thread. Like I said, I've done my share of hand holding and don't mind it. It's a good way to tailor your thread to be very clear and concise, but in the end, we'll always have the recurring threads, so do you purpose we link to these help threads and then offer to answer questions that arise aster reading so we're still available?

I like the idea, just trying to hash out the finer details. My new position at work is I "relief position" so I can't provide exact times I'll be available and be able to guarantee i won't be called in short notice. I suppose I could try to keep my sig updated each week and try to change it if I'm called in. I want to be in on this, just need to figure out the best way to make it extremely useful...
    Ran into a little snag? Have a question? Think your phone is only good to hold down rogue papers in a wind storm now? Visit the Rescue Squad!
  10. Beta Team
    Member #
    Twitter
    dabowerman
    Phone
    Rooted Droid, OC @ 1.1 Ghz
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    I think there are great guides out there, it's just that people panic and don't search for anything. Also with the guides that have a complete walk through, I would suggest that they be able to attach the files to the thread directly. This way if the link to a certain page goes away or a team has a fight and splits ways, the files are intact all the time.
    If you like what I do, thanks

Your can follow me as follows

@dabowerman - Twitter
    Derek Bower - G+ - this is where I will be @ the most and where stuff gets released first.

Theming Guides that might come in handy
    Theming Guide for Progress Bar
    Notification Text Color Change (How to)
    Theming Guide for System Text
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links