DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: A few questions about switching Rom's

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

A few questions about switching Rom's

Rooted droid, running BB v5 (3-4-10) (cant find thread to link to anymore), sbrecovery, nandroid backup.

Im thinking i want to try a few different rom's out. I also have setcpu, wireless tether, and one of chevy's kernels loaded.

Question 1: DO i just grab another rom and do the update.zip method?
    Q2: will i need to reload those apps (ie, lose them)?
    Q3: will i need to reload chevy kernel?

I seemed to have been able to get it rooted and loaded the first time but would just like to be more comfortable this time around.

3. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Razr View Post
    Rooted droid, running BB v5 (3-4-10) (cant find thread to link to anymore), sbrecovery, nandroid backup.

Im thinking i want to try a few different rom's out. I also have setcpu, wireless tether, and one of chevy's kernels loaded.

I seemed to have been able to get it rooted and loaded the first time but would just like to be more comfortable this time around.
    I believe that the thread was accidentally deleted. Now that you have installed a 2.1 Rom you can install other 2.1 Roms by using the update.zip method which will not require you to reload you apps. Reloading Chevy's OC kernel depends on which Rom you install. Check the site of the developers Rom you install to determine what kernel is included then decide if you need to use one of Chevy's.

Mike
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post

I believe that the thread was accidentally deleted. Now that you have installed a 2.1 Rom you can install other 2.1 Roms by using the update.zip method which will not require you to reload you apps. Reloading Chevy's OC kernel depends on which Rom you install. Check the site of the developers Rom you install to determine what kernel is included then decide if you need to use one of Chevy's.

Mike
    Do I need to make another nandroid backup? Also, will I lose setcpu, tether app, etc?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    Just one mans opinion. YMMV and others will disagree.
    See below in blue....

Before you do ANYTHING do an advanced nandroid backup and be sure to select all the options. i.e. system, boot, data ...

Then you are safe to try the update zip.

If your experience is like mine, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
    If if doesn't, use the nandroid method ensuring you wipe /data and /cache beforehand.

If you used update.zip, the answer is no. If you had to do nandroid restore (i.e. you wiped /data and /cache, then the answer is yes. I backup using "MyBackup Pro" (fee) and "Titanium Backup" (free) in addition to the nandroid backup before any ROM updates. I then use the MyBackup backup version to see if all is well. Sometimes after a restore of apps, I experience FC's, boot loops, etc. and this seems to be an inherent problem now that I am using 2.1 vs. 2.0.1 ROM's. Not sure that is the root cause (pun intended), rather just my experience. Sooo, I sometimes need to start from scratch and download the apps from Market. Those not on Market I keep on my sdcard. Again, YMMV.

I always reload the kernel. That's just me and I suppose it gives me some peace of mind. Since they are changing so frequently, I haven't a clue if what I had was compatible or most current for the ROM I just installed. I also do this before restoring or reinstalling any apps or data. I've found the kernel has hosed my phone and I had to do another nandroid restore. So don't waste your time on apps until you are certain your ROM and kernel are stable.

Best of luck !!!
  6. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post

Mike
    Do I need to make another nandroid backup? Also, will I lose setcpu, tether app, etc?
    Anytime you make a change you should make a nandroid backup that you can use to recover, should something go wrong, or if you decide you like the previous Rom better than what you just installed.

I think most of the new BB roms are being released with stock 550 CPU so if you install a new BB then you would need to reload. Yesterday, I installed one of Chevy's kernel in just a few minutes. It took me less that 10 minutes to reset the OC with setCPU and reactivate the tether.

Here is a link (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...ation-etc.html) the what I consider the most comprehensive process on rooting, installing/switching Roms, OC, tethering, etc. You can find answers to most of your questions and it is an excellent reference.

Mike

Links