DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: If someone could edumacate me....

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Phone
    D1>DX>Bionic>NEXUS!!

If someone could edumacate me....

Ok, fairly noob here, but I've looked at EVERY thread in hacking help and read half of them, and am just looking to get some schooling on two questions that I can't seem to find the answer to.

Q1: Pertaining to backups. From what I've read, doing an advanced nandroid backup gets data, cache, boot, and a couple others. It seems you still have to back up your apps, right? I've heard using either Astro or TiBackup works. My question is: What is necessary to do a COMPLETE reinstall. Is that even possible? Does the nandroid/Astro backup capture my screens and icons? Or should I take screenshots and replace my icons after recovery?

Can't seem to find that anywhere.

Q2: Probably a very noob question, but can someone please explain (clarify) exactly what these do:

Firmware version: Mine says 2.0.1 (I believe this is my version of BB (rom?)?, just want that clarified)

Kernel Version: Mine says 2.6.29-compcache06_unionfs253-sholes-omap1-hg383b38baebcb-dirty (have no idea - assume this is my OC kernel, which I believe is Adamz 1.1 but not sure now after reading so much). But what is this? The kernel talks to the chip? How does a kernel relate to a rom?

Build Number: Mine says Bugless Beast 1.1

I guess I'm getting confused between the Firmware version and the Build Number primarily. Read a lot about 2.0.1 vs. new 2.1 rom out, but not sure where the build number comes in, not to mention I've read alot about BB.7 (or .6 or....). Which REALLY confuses me.

Just trying to really understand what each piece of software means, so as updates come out I'll know exactly what I'm changing and how to get back (thus the backup question).

I know these are prehistorically noob questions, I just can't find the answers anywhere.

3. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    Actually these aren't bad questions at all.
    Q1- when you do a nandroid backup everything is saved as is. Your screens and everything. If you like where you're at do one and check everything.

Q2- firmware is the version of the operating system stock you are on 2.0.1, and most ROMs are based on this version. Newer ROMs are based on android 2.1( a leaked version).
    Kernels I'm a little fuzzy on but they are what allows for over clocking.

Build numbers for stock are just that really, on the new ROMs you will see build # ere25 and ese53. These are motorola versions of android 2.1. On custom ROMs most devs make it say the version of their ROM you are on.

Think of firmware like windows vista= 2.0.1 and windows 7 = 2.1
    Build number is an internal makers version of the overall OS.

Hope this helps some
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Phone
    D1>DX>Bionic>NEXUS!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jstafford1 View Post
    Actually these aren't bad questions at all.
    Q1- when you do a nandroid backup everything is saved as is. Your screens and everything. If you like where you're at do one and check everything.

Q2- firmware is the version of the operating system stock you are on 2.0.1, and most ROMs are based on this version. Newer ROMs are based on android 2.1( a leaked version).
    Kernels I'm a little fuzzy on but they are what allows for over clocking.

Build numbers for stock are just that really, on the new ROMs you will see build # ere25 and ese53. These are motorola versions of android 2.1. On custom ROMs most devs make it say the version of their ROM you are on.

Think of firmware like windows vista= 2.0.1 and windows 7 = 2.1
    Build number is an internal makers version of the overall OS.

Hope this helps some
    jstaff, thanks for the quick reply. I thought they were good questions, but figured I was wrong since no one had asked (that I could find).

On your answer to Q1, nandroid does not back up the apps though, correct? Read alot about using TiBackup, and alot of people saying Astro does just as good (and it's free).

I guess my Q1 also pertains to updating ROMS. From what I've read, doing an update.zip say from 2.0.1 to 2.1 keeps your screens and data, whereas switching roms I should do a wipe then clean isntall, in which case I'd have to re-do my screens.

On Q2, that is sort of what I figured, but also thought the 2.0.1 was the "build", meaning the next release would be 2.0.2 or 2.1.1. But I guess they only change that when there are enhancements, whereas a build fixes bugs (I believe)??
  5. Decepticon
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    First off
    A1 if you do a nandroid backup you will be able to backup the boot image, the cache, data, misc., the recovery image, and the system info.. no apps will be saved..

in order to save your apps i'd use Titanium Backup. (ASTRO will work too i just prefer Ti) TiBu also can backup app/software system data

What is necessary to do a COMPLETE reinstall. Is that even possible?
    if by complete you mean wiping your phone to factory new condition and restoring it all you will need is an advanced nandroid BU, and a titanium BU.

everything that is on your sdcard wont be touched unless you specifically format the SDcard.. i.e... pics, music, that sort of thing

as for your second question/ the names that are show up in About on your phone are just that.. the names of the kernel and FW version.

a kernel is basically what tells a computer how to be a computer.. your phone in this case is in sense a computer... every build needs a kernel to run. if you load an "OC kernel" it is replacing the "stock" kernel with one that will allow overclocking check this link out for some info on kernels

im seeing that jstafford1 just replied so hopefully with both of our answeres you will have a better understanding
    Phones:
    HTC Thunderbolt - Root MikROMS The Perfect Storm ROM
    MOTO DROiD - Root CM7 RC2 OC ChevyNo1 1.25 ulv

my motto... "If it ain't broken... Fix it till it is"
  6. Decepticon
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    im a slow typer he beat me to it haha
    Phones:

7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Phone
    D1>DX>Bionic>NEXUS!!
    Starscream and jstaff, I think that pretty much covers it. That's about what I thought on the backup, just no one has stated that succinctly (like for a noob). I want to try some different roms, but BB is working pretty well actually so want to make sure I can get back if I don't like something better.

I'm assuming on the backup that I should copy the nandroid directory and TiBu/Astro onto my computer? Or is it safe on the sdcard?

And I think I have the different aspects clear - the FW version and build should (will) match up (i.e., a certain build of the FW version), but you can try different kernels to see what works best.

I assume the SetCUP benching will tell you how well the kernel is performing with that rom? Or is there a better way to tell?

Rockin 4g on my Nexus - FINALLY!
  8. Decepticon
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prowler85 View Post
    Starscream and jstaff, I think that pretty much covers it. That's about what I thought on the backup, just no one has stated that succinctly (like for a noob). I want to try some different roms, but BB is working pretty well actually so want to make sure I can get back if I don't like something better.

I'm assuming on the backup that I should copy the nandroid directory and TiBu/Astro onto my computer? Or is it safe on the sdcard?

And I think I have the different aspects clear - the FW version and build should (will) match up (i.e., a certain build of the FW version), but you can try different kernels to see what works best.

I assume the SetCUP benching will tell you how well the kernel is performing with that rom? Or is there a better way to tell?
    sounds like you've go it man and thing on your sdcard "should" be safe.. ive gone back and forth through about 20 diff ROM's and kernels and never a problem. it is easy enough to copy your whole sdcard to your pc.. i did do this in the begining but ive never needed to use it.

SetCPU does have a benchmark option and there are other benchmark apps out there
    Phones:

9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID .rwar.
    When you do your backup, it will save onto your SDCard in your nandroid folder, there isn't a need perse to move it to your computer, unless you intend on formatting the SDCard.

If you want to go back to what you have now, the backup will put everything back into what you see at this exact moment. If you go back to it, you will most likely lose any data in between because you are technically reverting to a previous state, almost like Windows Rollback states.

It's recommended to wipe your phone between each install. Even though each ROM installs into the system what it needs, some left over pieces can carry over into the new install and in some cases have been known to cause problems, but not everyone experiences these problems.

Last I knew, there was problems using the update.zip version to swap from 2.0.1 to 2.1. You could use the ADB shell to do it, but odds are you will get the easiest, most seemless jump by using the nandroid backups provided for the installs. You will have to wipe most things when you make the jump from 2.0.1 to 2.1. As a note, if you have made a nandroid backup of your 2.0.1 rom(The BB I read earlier) you can always revert to it from a 2.1 using that backup, since it's an image it will just overwrite it. Again, always better to wipe the phone.

I always use Titanium Backup with my nandroid, just in case. :P It's just good practice and it seems you understand that.

SetCPU is a good reference to benchmarking the overclocking, while I don't know the other apps, I've seen people using a couple of other ones to get numbers. I, however, just use SetCPU.

Overclocking kernels are based on ROM builds. There are certain ones for 2.0.1 and it seems that most of the 2.1 ones will run on both builds(ERE25 and ESE53). You can put almost any OC kernel on any version of that ROM.

It seems right now the best running rigs is Bugless Beast with Chevy's OC kernels.
    Last edited by nerdbox08; 03-09-2010 at 05:05 PM.
    I had a nice signature, but the mean ate it.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Phone
    D1>DX>Bionic>NEXUS!!
    Thanks all. Rooting the first time was scary enough, tho really is quite easy. But to play with the roms I really wanted to get a grasp on all of this. I want to find the "perfect" setup as my wife gets her droid on Friday and I'll be setting it up while she's at work. Only gives me 3 more days to perfect it. Saw a thread here to capture the perfect droid and want to try it and others.

Of course it's only "perfect" til the next rom comes out.

Rockin 4g on my Nexus - FINALLY!
  11. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    412 times
    Twitter
    jstaff79
    Phone
    D-R-O-I-D 3
    Premium Member
    You are correct there...these devs are putting out ROMs almost daily. Its hard to stay current. Good luck with your mods and if you have anymore questions, as you can see, ask away and you'll get answers.

Links