*** Introduction/Instructions/Table of Contents ***
This guide is based on the installation of Bugless Beast. I based it on Bugless Beast for two reasons:
1) This is the ROM that I have used and it has served me well, so I am intimately familiar with it and therefore able to answer questions better.
2) It's easier to say the name of ONE ROM as opposed to all of the options out there every single time I say a name of one.
As you will read right now and at several points in the thread, this particular ROM is the one I use and is JUST AN EXAMPLE. So any time you see the words Bugless Beast, if you are trying to install a DIFFERENT ROM (such as Ultimate Droid, Smoked Glass, Simply Stunning, etc) just replace the download links with files from that particularly developer. Steps 36 & 90 are really the only steps you will need to download a different file. All the other files are the same. If you need help deciding on what ROM to use, either ask in this thread, post in the Droid Hacks section, or visit one of the following developer's sections:
Notice that I left out DroidMod because I personally do not advocate downloading a program that does everything for you because while it is easy at first, if you run into any issues you have no clue WTF is going on.
In this guide I will attempt to educate (for those people not familiar with rooting/hacking/installing ROMs) and get you to where you want to be all at once. This guide is a fluid document so any and all comments are appreciated. You can always hold in your control button and scroll your mouse wheel up to make the text bigger if need be. You can follow the guide as such:
- Comments in Red are warnings or very important information.
- Comments in Purple are education
- Comments in Blue denote the start of a new section
In this guide we will be covering the following topics in order (you can click on a particular topic to jump to that section):
2. Rooting your Droid.
3. Flashing and installing SPRecovery.
4. Backing up your Droid using Nandroid.
5. Backing up your applications and installing Bugless Beast (or some other ROM) via Nandroid Backup (clean install).
6. Installing a different kernel and overclocking (optional)
7. Monitoring Temps. (optional)
8. Installing WiFi tethering. (optional)
9. Patching the smoked theme if so desired. (optional)
10. Installing a custom Boot Animation (optional)
11. Installing a custom Metamorph theme (optional)
12. Installing custom icons (optional)
13. Free up space, get rid of unwanted apps (optional)
14. Improving call quality (optional)
15. Improving battery life (optional)
16. Upgrading from one version of Bugless Beast 2.1 (or other ROM) to another
17. Restoring your apps (optional)
*** Important Notes - PLEASE READ - VERY IMPORTANT!!! ***
- This guide primarily talks about Bugless Beast. However, you can still follow these instructions with a different ROM. It's very simple. As in step 36 where it tells you to download the Nandroid from Bugless Beast, or in the second to last section where it says to download the update.zip from Bugless Beast...just substitute those files with Nandroid/update.zip from a different ROM (Ultimate Droid, Smoked Glass, Simply Stunning, etc)
- If you don't want to lose your place in a thread, right click and open link in new tab/window instead of just left clicking
- If you are coming from a 2.0.1 version of Bugless Beast, you MUST wipe your data, you CANNOT use the update.zip method.
- If you are coming from a previous version of 2.1 Bugless Beast you can use the update.zip method as you have in the past for 2.0.1 Bugless Beast builds
- If you want to install a ROM other than Bugless Beast, or if you are coming from a ROM other than Bugless Beast, I highly suggest wiping your data before you do so to eliminate any problems
- If you do use the update.zip method and have issues, try wiping your data and reinstalling rather than using the update.zip method
- If you ever need to get back to stock COMPLETELY, go here.
- Any step that has a screen shot available, then the instructions for that step will be followed by a <Screenshot> link. Click that link to see a screen shot of that particular step. If you have screen shots that you'd like me to use in my guide, PM me a link to the image you want me to use.
- If you go to download any of the files and get a bunch of BS characters, just simply right click, save as. Don't just click.
- PLEASE DO NOT PM ME WITH YOUR PROBLEMS. Post in the thread. PM'ing me is not going to get your questions resolved faster, just clutter up my inbox...and if you post in the thread, other people will be able to see how we solved your problem.
- If you have any problems, PLEASE refer to the exact step where you began having problems and EXACTLY what you have done so we can help you.
- If you like this guide, please follow me on Twitter @Dr0idDoes or my blog: Droid Daily Updates. I am trying to increase traffic to my site and Twitter following so if you want to share links or anything, please let me know.
- If you like the ROM you are using, please donate to the developer. If you can't find their donate link post in the thread and we will steer you in the right direction.
- This guide is set up slightly different from my previous guide, so consequently I NEED your feedback to improve this fluid document
- IMPORTANT: Read this thread before you attempt to continue. Please do NOT attempt to continue without knowing and understanding this thread!