DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to hide/remove app tray apps?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Is it possible to hide/remove app tray apps?

Is there a solution for hiding certain app icons in the app tray that doesn't involve flashing a custom rom or using a home replacement? I have a handful of icons in there that are redundant in that they offer no functionality because of their widget, and a handful that I'll just plain never use (visual voicemail, corporate calendar, etc).

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID BABY!
    Not as far as I know.. I asked the same question when I first joined this site. Your right though, icons you either have a widget for, or have in folders on your desktops should be able to go away somewhere...
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    if your phone is rooted there's an app in the market called "app vault". It can stow away your apps from your app drawer
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by theguy386 View Post
    if your phone is rooted there's an app in the market called "app vault". It can stow away your apps from your app drawer
    Have you used this app personally? I just read a review for it that states that removing an app from your tray will disable updating of the app completely. This is undesirable for the apps I'd like to hide that have widgets associated with them.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait View Post
    Is there a solution for hiding certain app icons in the app tray that doesn't involve flashing a custom rom or using a home replacement? I have a handful of icons in there that are redundant in that they offer no functionality because of their widget, and a handful that I'll just plain never use (visual voicemail, corporate calendar, etc).
    If you are rooted you can use an app like Root Explorer. Open the directory /system/app. In the list of apps you will see apps like CorpCal.apk. Hit the button that says R/W and change the extension of the redundant widget from apk to bak. That will make it disappear. You can bring it back later by reversing the process.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by lores35 View Post
    If you are rooted you can use an app like Root Explorer. Open the directory /system/app. In the list of apps you will see apps like CorpCal.apk. Hit the button that says R/W and change the extension of the redundant widget from apk to bak. That will make it disappear. You can bring it back later by reversing the process.
    Thanks. I will give this a try.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Uh don't do this because the widget won't work. He was describing how to uninstall an app completely, this you do not want to do if you still use the app/widget.

I am also curious about a way to hide some app or make a custom icon like "excel" for my text messages

Actually if the app isn't signed I guess you can unzip it but is the stock messenger app and chompsms signed, can we update their icons?
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by phaze3131 View Post
    Uh don't do this because the widget won't work. He was describing how to uninstall an app completely, this you do not want to do if you still use the app/widget.

I am also curious about a way to hide some app or make a custom icon like "excel" for my text messages

Actually if the app isn't signed I guess you can unzip it but is the stock messenger app and chompsms signed, can we update their icons?
    Hmm, bummer. I guess that is a good enough compromise for now. I can just uninstall the stock apps that I never use (Messaging, Corp Calendar, Visual VM, etc), and leave the unnecessary widget icons. I know there are some devs out there that have the option built into their app to remove their icons from the app tray. I wish more devs would do that. I don't need a low-res app icon in my tray that does nothing more than explain to me how to add their widget to my homescreen.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Drizzoid
    This is my number 1 most desired app for NOT ROOTED phones. So many lame stocks apps I want 2 hide like: amazon mp3-farcebook-messaging-corp calendar-youtube... and I won't be rooting my phone. On the old school palm there was an app called obfuscate that could do this simple task.
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I use Titanium backup to remove the apps I don't want. Very simple, just find the app you want, press it and press uninstall.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links