DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Phone Totally Stopped Reading update.zip Packages :(

  1. Droid Sensei
    natediddy1120's Avatar
    Member #
    23380
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    3,183
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    #1

    Thumbs down Phone Totally Stopped Reading update.zip Packages :(

    This just started today. It first did it when I tried to install the 24k theme update.zip file. I was using koush's ClockworkMod recovery to install the update.zip. Then just now I had flashed SPRecovery back onto my phone, and flashed Simply Stunning 2.0.1, and when I tried to install Chevy's update.zip kernel+wifi module package, it did the same thing. No matter what I do, it will not read update.zips
    Last edited by natediddy1120; 03-07-2010 at 05:52 PM.

  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Droid Ninja
    Se7enLC's Avatar
    Member #
    5148
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,263
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by natediddy1120 View Post
    Then just now I had flashed SPRecovery back onto my phone, and flashed Simply Stunning 2.0.1, and when I tried to install Chevy's update.zip kernel+wifi module package, it did the same thing. No matter what I do, it will not read update.zips
    What is "the same thing"? Is there an error? (what is it?) Are you sure it's running SPRecovery?

    What results were you expecting when you install that update.zip, and what results did you get? (the change should be almost completely un-noticeable, except that you can see the kernel version in Settings | About Phone | Kernel version
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  4. Droid Sensei
    natediddy1120's Avatar
    Member #
    23380
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    3,183
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    #3
    No the phone starts to read the package, and gets the same error every time on SPRecovery and ClockworkMod recovery...

    This is the error:

    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
    (bad)
    Installation aborted


    And thats it, every time

  5. Master Droid
    joeymoose's Avatar
    Member #
    17424
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    466
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Driod X Rooted
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by natediddy1120 View Post
    No the phone starts to read the package, and gets the same error every time on SPRecovery and ClockworkMod recovery...

    This is the error:

    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
    (bad)
    Installation aborted


    And thats it, every time
    Sounds like it's double .zip'd (update.zip.zip)
  6. Droid Ninja
    Se7enLC's Avatar
    Member #
    5148
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,263
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by natediddy1120 View Post
    No the phone starts to read the package, and gets the same error every time on SPRecovery and ClockworkMod recovery...

    This is the error:

    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip
    (bad)
    Installation aborted


    And thats it, every time
    Is your SD card nearly full, perhaps? If there's not enough room to extract it, it might fail out in a strange way...

    If not that, maybe the Zip really is invalid. Have you done an md5 check to compare it to where you got it from?
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  7. Droid Sensei
    natediddy1120's Avatar
    Member #
    23380
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ???
    Posts
    3,183
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    #6
    I've tried 2 different update.zip files....one was the 24k theme....and the other was one of Chevy's 5 slot kernels...on BOTH recoveries?

    And my sdcard is nowhere near being full...I just had to format the sob the other day

  8. Junior Droid
    kian123's Avatar
    Member #
    100651
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6
    Phone
    A855 moto
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by natediddy1120 View Post
    I've tried 2 different update.zip files....one was the 24k theme....and the other was one of Chevy's 5 slot kernels...on BOTH recoveries?

    And my sdcard is nowhere near being full...I just had to format the sob the other day

    Did you find the solution?
    I have a samsung moment and droid moto I have used diffrerent sdcards I have done different file names and also named update.zip still can not read any files on any of these phones...they are updated rom 2.1
    BTW-I have used different computers, xp,vista, different phones and sdcards...still no luck!

    if anyone has the solution please let me know....Thanks,
  9. Droid Ninja
    Se7enLC's Avatar
    Member #
    5148
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,263
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by kian123 View Post
    Did you find the solution?
    I have a samsung moment and droid moto I have used diffrerent sdcards I have done different file names and also named update.zip still can not read any files on any of these phones...they are updated rom 2.1
    BTW-I have used different computers, xp,vista, different phones and sdcards...still no luck!

    if anyone has the solution please let me know....Thanks,
    For the Motorola Droid:

    Are you running SP Recovery or Clockwork Recovery? If you aren't running either, you need to install one of those first before you will be able to apply any update.zip file except for the official motorola/verizon ones. This will involve rooting your phone.

    You mention that "they are updated rom 2.1". Are you sure about that? If you've accepted all the over-the-air updates, you should be running 2.2, now. Check the version in Settings | About Phone

    EDIT: It's generally not a good idea to reply to a months-old thread with a new problem, unless you're 100% positive it's the same thing and a very rare problem. The technology changes so fast that even a month later, everything that was written is no longer true. Usually better off to start a new thread.
    Last edited by Se7enLC; 09-09-2010 at 03:07 PM.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  10. Junior Droid
    kian123's Avatar
    Member #
    100651
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6
    Phone
    A855 moto
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kian123 View Post
    Did you find the solution?
    I have a samsung moment and droid moto I have used diffrerent sdcards I have done different file names and also named update.zip still can not read any files on any of these phones...they are updated rom 2.1
    BTW-I have used different computers, xp,vista, different phones and sdcards...still no luck!

    if anyone has the solution please let me know....Thanks,
    For the Motorola Droid:

    Are you running SP Recovery or Clockwork Recovery? If you aren't running either, you need to install one of those first before you will be able to apply any update.zip file except for the official motorola/verizon ones. This will involve rooting your phone.

    You mention that "they are updated rom 2.1". Are you sure about that? If you've accepted all the over-the-air updates, you should be running 2.2, now. Check the version in Settings | About Phone

    Se7enLC Thanks,

    I got the phones used and I am using the SP recovery I Installed it using RSD lite 4.6 on the moto droid and its was updated to 2.1 before I got it
    used, and it has no service on it currently...all it allows me to do is make emergency calls and I can not see the applications. they told me I need to activate it in order to see apps.........I am trying to avoid that right now
    is there a way this could be by passed so I could get to the apps?

    If it could read the sdcard could I load a custom rom and bypass the acitvation? to get to the apps?

    Thanks again!
  11. Droid Ninja
    Se7enLC's Avatar
    Member #
    5148
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,263
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by kian123 View Post
    I got the phones used and I am using the SP recovery I Installed it using RSD lite 4.6 on the moto droid and its was updated to 2.1 before I got it
    used, and it has no service on it currently...all it allows me to do is make emergency calls and I can not see the applications. they told me I need to activate it in order to see apps.........I am trying to avoid that right now
    is there a way this could be by passed so I could get to the apps?

    If it could read the sdcard could I load a custom rom and bypass the acitvation? to get to the apps?

    Thanks again!
    No, loading a new custom rom will not bypass the activation - in fact, most will require that you re-activate a phone even if it was previously activated.

    Here's a way you can bypass the activation, screen though:

    Tip: How to Bypass Android Activation Screen on Motorola Droid | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

    Obviously, you won't be able to make phone calls or use cell data unless you activate it.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Has your phone ever stopped calling for about 10 minutes??
    By kbayer in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2010, 02:25 PM
  2. It Would Be Totally Great If I Could Hear My Phone Ring!
    By kasey.alexandra in forum HTC Droid Eris
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-17-2010, 08:45 AM
  3. Google Voice Search stopped working after recent Shazam Update
    By _atlas in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-02-2010, 08:43 AM
  4. Gmail stopped getting updated on phone
    By anabolix in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 04:27 PM
  5. GMail stopped syncing to phone...
    By SwordOfWar in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 06:17 PM

Search tags for this page

can't open /sdcard/update.zip (bad)

,

can't open sdcard update.zip

,

can't open sdcard update.zip bad

,
can't open sdcard update.zip bad installation aborted
,
cant open sdcard update.zip bad
,
clockwork recovery can't open bad
,
clockwork recovery cant open (bad)
,
clockworkmod can't open sdcard update.zip
,

e can't open sdcard update.zip bad

,

e:can't open /sdcard/update.zip (bad)

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+