DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: wifi issue

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Question wifi issue

Please forgive me if this is posted in another forum as i am fairly new but i wasnt able to find anything elsewhere so i posted here.

Recently i have rooted and started out with the wireless tethering and i was able to get that working with the new kernel and image. Now i am trying to get overclocking working and it appears that my wifi is disabled. i have tried the below to get it working:
    • Download the "tiwlan_drv.ko" from tasmanian_droid's original post on the overclock to 600mhz over on alldroid.org
      copy to Root of SD card
      open terminal emulator and run these commands;
    • su
    • mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    • cd /sdcard
    • busybox cp tiwlan_drv.ko /system/lib/modules/tiwlan_drv.ko
      mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    • sync
    • reboot
    WIth no luck. However, when i do a " "flash_image boot /sdcard/boot_wifi.img" my wifi comes back but i can only overclock to 600 insted of the 1.1 i had before.

Can someone please enlighten me as to what im doing wrong?

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by mavcat17 View Post
    Please forgive me if this is posted in another forum as i am fairly new but i wasnt able to find anything elsewhere so i posted here.

Recently i have rooted and started out with the wireless tethering and i was able to get that working with the new kernel and image. Now i am trying to get overclocking working and it appears that my wifi is disabled. i have tried the below to get it working:
    • Download the "tiwlan_drv.ko" from tasmanian_droid's original post on the overclock to 600mhz over on alldroid.org
      copy to Root of SD card
    • su
    • cd /sdcard
    • sync
    • reboot
    WIth no luck. However, when i do a " "flash_image boot /sdcard/boot_wifi.img" my wifi comes back but i can only overclock to 600 insted of the 1.1 i had before.

What rom are you using? Also when using setcpu goto menu, device selection and choose autodetect so it can read your true speeds.

More thing, run the tiwlan_drv.ko steps you posted after flash_image boot /sdcard/boot_wifi.img. That is what i did way back when i did that method you're doing. Now i just use bugless beast rom from pete
    Last edited by mejdam; 03-04-2010 at 09:32 AM.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Sorry I have no answers but I would just like to add that reasons like yours is the reason I love the droidmod route is because it is so much easier and simpler. Everything works fine, can overclock, tether, live wallpapers, ect. I'm just sayin.. more of an fyi, I'm sure you knew all that already but just in case. You don't have to worry about typing in commands and stuff. Hope you get your situation resolved, good luck bud
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by mejdam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mavcat17 View Post

copy to Root of SD card
    • su
    • cd /sdcard
    • sync
    • reboot

What rom are you using? Also when using setcpu goto menu, device selection and choose autodetect so it can read your true speeds
    Quote Originally Posted by cisco0910 View Post
    Sorry I have no answers but I would just like to add that reasons like yours is the reason I love the droidmod route is because it is so much easier and simpler. Everything works fine, can overclock, tether, live wallpapers, ect. I'm just sayin.. more of an fyi, I'm sure you knew all that already but just in case. You don't have to worry about typing in commands and stuff. Hope you get your situation resolved, good luck bud
    Currently i am not running any rom as i am fairly new, and in setcpu it is already autodetecting.

If i wanted to install a ROM so i can do all that, how should i go about it? Just de-install both products and start from relative scratch?
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    A955
    I think the boot image and kernels need to match for wifi to work, which is why they usually come in pairs. So if you change to a different cpu kernel, you need a matching boot image or wifi won't work.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    To get just overclock and wifi tether, you need to install a kernel that does both (and the modules that match). I suspect that the 1.1Ghz kernel you're referring to is the 2.6.29 kernel made by adamz.

I recommend re-installing that kernel. Easiest way to do that is to grab the update.zip version of the kernel that Pete made. There's a list of these kernels here as part of the Bugless Beast ROM install:

[ROM 2.0.1] Bugless Beast V1.2 (3/1/10) STABLE

You want this one:

http://androidoverdrive.com/pete/Pat...el11update.zip

Drop it on your SD Card (in the root directory), boot into recovery, install update.zip. What this will do is flash the kernel image and install the necessary module (tiwlan_drv.ko). It won't make ANY other changes to your phone but the kernel.

Note:
    This requires that SPRecovery be installed (which I assume you installed before flashing kernel images unless you are trying to brick your droid)

Once you install that, give overclock and tethering a try, both should work. Good luck!
    Last edited by Se7enLC; 03-04-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    To get just overclock and wifi tether, you need to install a kernel that does both (and the modules that match). I suspect that the 1.1Ghz kernel you're referring to is the 2.6.29 kernel made by adamz.

I recommend re-installing that kernel. Easiest way to do that is to grab the update.zip version of the kernel that Pete made. There's a list of these kernels here as part of the Bugless Beast ROM install:

[ROM 2.0.1] Bugless Beast V1.2 (3/1/10) STABLE

You want this one:

http://androidoverdrive.com/pete/Pat...el11update.zip

Drop it on your SD Card (in the root directory), boot into recovery, install update.zip. What this will do is flash the kernel image and install the necessary module (tiwlan_drv.ko). It won't make ANY other changes to your phone but the kernel.

Note: This requires that SPRecovery be installed (which I assume you installed before flashing kernel images unless you are trying to brick your droid)

Once you install that, give overclock and tethering a try, both should work. Good luck!
    Yes, that could be very possible. I'll have to try that tonight adn see how it goes. Thank you!

Links