DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: kernals

  1. Droid
    ogbobby4's Avatar
    Member #
    34591
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    33
    Phone
    motorola droid
    #1

    kernals

    Can anybody show me a good kernel for droidmod 1.0
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Master Droid
    kevdog's Avatar
    Member #
    4295
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    722
    Phone
    moto droid
    #2
    droidmod runs on its own kernel. For reasons unknown to me (OK I just dont understand the programming and kernel hacking behind the process), other kernel (such as Chevy's, Pete's, Taz, etc) are not interchangeable with this ROM. If you want to do some kernel hopping, then you must install another ROM.
  4. Developer
    woodyman's Avatar
    Member #
    31911
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,610
    Liked
    13 times
    Twitter
    @DroidConcepts
    Phone
    D1, D2, D3
    DroidForums.net Developer
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    droidmod runs on its own kernel. For reasons unknown to me (OK I just dont understand the programming and kernel hacking behind the process), other kernel (such as Chevy's, Pete's, Taz, etc) are not interchangeable with this ROM. If you want to do some kernel hopping, then you must install another ROM.
    i've installed another kernal over droid mod, before i switched out to a different rom.. i had taz's kernal installed..

    just download the kernal from taz's post over at alldroid and you should have a folder, unzip and there should be a nandroid folder place that into the nandroid folder on your sd card and when in nandroid recovery go into advanced nandroid restore be sure only the boot.img is stared and click restore.. can post further instructions if needed..
    Click Here for the Droid Concepts Web Site

    Check out The Droid Concepts Roms By clicking the image below.!

    If you would enjoy what we do please support us with a small donation if possible, we need some new devices..
  5. Droid Ninja
    jasonb's Avatar
    Member #
    12570
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,153
    Phone
    Moto Droid :)
    #4
    there is no reason you couldn't flash a different kernel on top of droidmod. i recommend chevy's kernel, it runs really cool on my phone. it's an update.zip, so it's REALLY simple. just put it on the root of your SD card and install from SPrecovery.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Mojo's Avatar
    Member #
    8853
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S.W Missouri
    Posts
    1,358
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #5
    May I ask why you would want a different kernal?? What do different kernals do for your device?
    "Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"
  7. Droid Ninja
    jasonb's Avatar
    Member #
    12570
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,153
    Phone
    Moto Droid :)
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerjoe View Post
    May I ask why you would want a different kernal?? What do different kernals do for your device?
    the kernel is what allows you to overclock and wifi tether and such. the kernel directly controls the hardware. it's pretty much the heart of the whole O.S.

    my last reason for switching kernels was because of heat issues. AdamZ kernel was running really hot on my phone. i heard another member say that ChevyNo1's kernel runs much cooler, so i figured why not try it out and see it it helps. it definitely did. my temps are much cooler now even when running at a higher clock speed.
  8. Senior Droid
    banderbe's Avatar
    Member #
    42260
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    148
    Phone
    A855
    #7
    I updated to chevy's kernel over droidmod and temps seem about the same.. perhaps one to two degrees cooler.

    Also, SetCPU doesn't work now.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Mojo's Avatar
    Member #
    8853
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S.W Missouri
    Posts
    1,358
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxerjoe View Post
    May I ask why you would want a different kernal?? What do different kernals do for your device?
    the kernel is what allows you to overclock and wifi tether and such. the kernel directly controls the hardware. it's pretty much the heart of the whole O.S.

    my last reason for switching kernels was because of heat issues. AdamZ kernel was running really hot on my phone. i heard another member say that ChevyNo1's kernel runs much cooler, so i figured why not try it out and see it it helps. it definitely did. my temps are much cooler now even when running at a higher clock speed.

    Okay cool! Thank you so much for the explanation. I learned something new today
    "Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Can you install new OC kernals on older ROM's?
    By hellabooya in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 02:49 PM
Find us on Google+