DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: what are the kernels for???

  1. Master Droid
    ucpro's Avatar
    Member #
    9399
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    dothan, al
    Posts
    434
    Phone
    -DROID-
    #1

    what are the kernels for???

    i may sound retarted, and i looked all over the net, but i got bb 1.1, but now i see they have kernels for each oc speed. bb 1.1 is 76mb and the kernels is maybe 2mb, so what is the difference now. is bb 1.1 without the kernal only 550mhz without being able to get oc'ed? i'm used to the roms already having the oc speeds built in, so why change everything up
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Droid Ninja
    R1Lover's Avatar
    Member #
    1022
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northern Ca
    Posts
    1,702
    Phone
    Incredible Droid
    #2
    I normally put them in the microwave until they pop.
  4. Master Droid
    ucpro's Avatar
    Member #
    9399
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    dothan, al
    Posts
    434
    Phone
    -DROID-
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
    I normally put them in the microwave until they pop.
  5. Droid Sensei
    KZIWarrior's Avatar
    Member #
    21812
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,634
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by ucpro View Post
    i may sound retarted, and i looked all over the net, but i got bb 1.1, but now i see they have kernels for each oc speed. bb 1.1 is 76mb and the kernels is maybe 2mb, so what is the difference now. is bb 1.1 without the kernal only 550mhz without being able to get oc'ed? i'm used to the roms already having the oc speeds built in, so why change everything up
    Because certain prefer certain kernels (i.e. Chevy1 or Adamz). Also including kernels in the ROM(s) was proving problematic with many phones (be it because of program conflicts or high clock speeds). This way Pete just provides the ROM(s) and the user can choose whichever kernel they prefer. Also there is not conflict with the initial load of the ROM because of a preset speed ect. Also many people want a cooked ROM but don't want a custom/cooked kernel and/or don't want to OC.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  6. Master Droid
    ucpro's Avatar
    Member #
    9399
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    dothan, al
    Posts
    434
    Phone
    -DROID-
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ucpro View Post
    i may sound retarted, and i looked all over the net, but i got bb 1.1, but now i see they have kernels for each oc speed. bb 1.1 is 76mb and the kernels is maybe 2mb, so what is the difference now. is bb 1.1 without the kernal only 550mhz without being able to get oc'ed? i'm used to the roms already having the oc speeds built in, so why change everything up
    Because certain prefer certain kernels (i.e. Chevy1 or Adamz). Also including kernels in the ROM(s) was proving problematic with many phones (be it because of program conflicts or high clock speeds). This way Pete just provides the ROM(s) and the user can choose whichever kernel they prefer. Also there is not conflict with the initial load of the ROM because of a preset speed ect.
    so this is basically an add-on for the rom, and if i wanna change my speed, i'll have to do the update.zip instead of going into setcpu and changing it?
  7. Super Moderator
    Bob Dammit's Avatar
    Member #
    14607
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    N 42 05.183 W 079 10.914
    Posts
    1,718
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid.
    Premium Member
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ucpro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ucpro View Post
    i may sound retarted, and i looked all over the net, but i got bb 1.1, but now i see they have kernels for each oc speed. bb 1.1 is 76mb and the kernels is maybe 2mb, so what is the difference now. is bb 1.1 without the kernal only 550mhz without being able to get oc'ed? i'm used to the roms already having the oc speeds built in, so why change everything up
    Because certain prefer certain kernels (i.e. Chevy1 or Adamz). Also including kernels in the ROM(s) was proving problematic with many phones (be it because of program conflicts or high clock speeds). This way Pete just provides the ROM(s) and the user can choose whichever kernel they prefer. Also there is not conflict with the initial load of the ROM because of a preset speed ect.
    so this is basically an add-on for the rom, and if i wanna change my speed, i'll have to do the update.zip instead of going into setcpu and changing it?
    You will go the update.zip route for the ROM, then do the update.zip thing to flash the kernel. It is a 2 step process now. Once you have changed the kernel, you can use setCPU, otherwise your CPU will onlu operate at 550mHz.
    I touched Lord Stanley's Cup on 1/2/11.
  8. Droid Ninja
    52brandon's Avatar
    Member #
    28679
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,021
    Liked
    42 times
    Phone
    motorola droid
    #7
    do all kernals have update.zips? I thought most had to be applied via adb shell... and you still need to go into setCPU to set it. Make sure to "autodetect"
  9. Master Droid
    ucpro's Avatar
    Member #
    9399
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    dothan, al
    Posts
    434
    Phone
    -DROID-
    #8
    i downloaded the 1.1 ghz and now i'm only at 800mhz on setcpu, 600 max
  10. Droid Ninja
    52brandon's Avatar
    Member #
    28679
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,021
    Liked
    42 times
    Phone
    motorola droid
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ucpro View Post
    i downloaded the 1.1 ghz and now i'm only at 800mhz on setcpu, 600 max
    huh? Did you try adjusting the slider? Bring it down, then put it back up. Do you have profiles on? What are they?
  11. Master Droid
    ucpro's Avatar
    Member #
    9399
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    dothan, al
    Posts
    434
    Phone
    -DROID-
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by 52brandon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ucpro View Post
    i downloaded the 1.1 ghz and now i'm only at 800mhz on setcpu, 600 max
    huh? Did you try adjusting the slider? Bring it down, then put it back up. Do you have profiles on? What are they?
    yea then it went to 600mhz. i downloaded the stevekernel for the 1ghz and it worked
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 01:36 PM

Search tags for this page

what are kenels
,
what are kernals
,

what are kernels

,
what are kernels for
,
what are kernels?
,
what are the differences in the android kernels?
,
what are the kernels
,
what is kernel on droid
,
what+are kernels
,
whatarekernels
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+