DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what are the kernels for???

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    -DROID-

what are the kernels for???

i may sound retarted, and i looked all over the net, but i got bb 1.1, but now i see they have kernels for each oc speed. bb 1.1 is 76mb and the kernels is maybe 2mb, so what is the difference now. is bb 1.1 without the kernal only 550mhz without being able to get oc'ed? i'm used to the roms already having the oc speeds built in, so why change everything up

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Incredible Droid
    I normally put them in the microwave until they pop.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    -DROID-
    Quote Originally Posted by R1Lover View Post
    I normally put them in the microwave until they pop.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by ucpro View Post
    i may sound retarted, and i looked all over the net, but i got bb 1.1, but now i see they have kernels for each oc speed. bb 1.1 is 76mb and the kernels is maybe 2mb, so what is the difference now. is bb 1.1 without the kernal only 550mhz without being able to get oc'ed? i'm used to the roms already having the oc speeds built in, so why change everything up
    Because certain prefer certain kernels (i.e. Chevy1 or Adamz). Also including kernels in the ROM(s) was proving problematic with many phones (be it because of program conflicts or high clock speeds). This way Pete just provides the ROM(s) and the user can choose whichever kernel they prefer. Also there is not conflict with the initial load of the ROM because of a preset speed ect. Also many people want a cooked ROM but don't want a custom/cooked kernel and/or don't want to OC.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    -DROID-
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    Because certain prefer certain kernels (i.e. Chevy1 or Adamz). Also including kernels in the ROM(s) was proving problematic with many phones (be it because of program conflicts or high clock speeds). This way Pete just provides the ROM(s) and the user can choose whichever kernel they prefer. Also there is not conflict with the initial load of the ROM because of a preset speed ect.
    so this is basically an add-on for the rom, and if i wanna change my speed, i'll have to do the update.zip instead of going into setcpu and changing it?
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Phone
    Droid.
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KZIWarrior View Post
    Because certain prefer certain kernels (i.e. Chevy1 or Adamz). Also including kernels in the ROM(s) was proving problematic with many phones (be it because of program conflicts or high clock speeds). This way Pete just provides the ROM(s) and the user can choose whichever kernel they prefer. Also there is not conflict with the initial load of the ROM because of a preset speed ect.
    so this is basically an add-on for the rom, and if i wanna change my speed, i'll have to do the update.zip instead of going into setcpu and changing it?
    You will go the update.zip route for the ROM, then do the update.zip thing to flash the kernel. It is a 2 step process now. Once you have changed the kernel, you can use setCPU, otherwise your CPU will onlu operate at 550mHz.
    I touched Lord Stanley's Cup on 1/2/11.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Phone
    motorola droid
    do all kernals have update.zips? I thought most had to be applied via adb shell... and you still need to go into setCPU to set it. Make sure to "autodetect"
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    -DROID-
    i downloaded the 1.1 ghz and now i'm only at 800mhz on setcpu, 600 max
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Phone
    motorola droid
    huh? Did you try adjusting the slider? Bring it down, then put it back up. Do you have profiles on? What are they?
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    -DROID-
    Quote Originally Posted by 52brandon View Post
    huh? Did you try adjusting the slider? Bring it down, then put it back up. Do you have profiles on? What are they?
    yea then it went to 600mhz. i downloaded the stevekernel for the 1ghz and it worked
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links