DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BB [7.5 to 1.1]

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    OG Droid LFY1.95

BB [7.5 to 1.1]

I've been all over this forum and AllDroid, and I can't seem to find the answers to some questions I have...

[Info] - I started off running Bugless Beast 7.5 right off of the stock 2.0.1, using the Update.zip method by following Matth3w's step by step guide. I have also made a backup of my stock ROM, using the same guide.

[Questions] - I want to go from 7.5 to the new 1.1, but I have been reading people having to deal with constant boot cycling. Has anyone been in my exact situation (not too rare), and went to 1.1 without any issues? Do we need to delete his data files from the old ROM? I don't want to lose anything off of my phone, so I would do the Update.zip method, again. Whichever guide you used would be very useful as well.
    - Also, since BB doesn't include OC, which kernal are you using? I would like to be able to run up to 900 and be stable (800 is fine).

I would really just like to get it right the first time haha. Thanks in advance.
  2. Android Addict
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Dröid
    Premium Member
    Here's what I posted in another thread. You can do the update.zip method, but I've found doing the below works well also, and still retains all the 'stuff' on your phone and keeps the market links. Read through it first to make sure you've got the files for all the steps and you understand them.

First, do an advanced nandroid backup of your current setup (so all of your apps will be there when done). Name it something you'll remember. Really you only need the data portion, but I often back up the whole thing so I can get it back if something goes horribly wrong.

Then, download the nandroid version of the update, unpack it and put it in a folder in your nandroid folder on your sd card. If you're also installing a different kernel, put that in the root of your SD card and make sure it is named update.zip (also make sure your computer OS didn't screw up the name. Depending on your settings, it might be named update.zip.zip. You can check using astro on your phone.)

Then do the following in the recovery screen:

1. if you haven't already, do an advanced nandroid backup of your current setup. Select all options, name the backup something you'll remember, and run the backup.
    2. wipe/factory reset twice.
    3. advanced nandroid restore with everything checked of the new ROM you want to install.
    4. perform the restore
    5. (optional) If you're installing a different kernel, allow updates, then apply the update.zip for the kernel.
    6. another advanced nandroid restore. Pick the backup you did before doing all of the above (step 1), but only select the DATA option in the restore, then perform the restore.
    7. reboot your phone.

At that point, you should have the new ROM (and kernel if applicable) as well as all of your old apps which will still be linked to the market.

Disclaimer: Remember, doing any updating of ROM's and kernels is your own choice and done at your own risk. It's probably not going to happen, but there is a very slim chance of bricking your phone. That's why it is very important to do a full nandroid backup before attempting to apply new ROM's and kernels and such.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    I followed the same instructions I always use and was upset that I had to install a kernel myself so I just went to Smoked Glass at least for right now.

Didn't have issues just running it at stock ... but I'm assuming the problems are coming from a certain kernel speed.
  4. Android Addict
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Dröid
    Premium Member
    Yeah, apparently some people had issues when applying BB with OC'd kernels. So, pete said he'd remove them and let the users pick which OC kernel they wanted to run. I'm using chevy's 1.2 and it seems to be working very well.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    The only time I did a nandroid wipe and install was when I once tried a 2.1 rom.

I have done well over a dozen rom changes and I do the update.zip method every time. I went from 7.6 to V1.0 to V1.1 via update.zip.

The good thing about the BB V1.1 is that it is not overclocked to begin with. It was done like that just assure that there would be none of that reboot loop issue. Everyone's phone can run at 550. Not everyone's phone can run at 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2 Ghz. And if you have one of those phones and setcpu is set to "Start of Reboot" then you get stuck in a loop.

Do the update.zip (you will keep all your apps/data) and then after V1.1 has settle down, do the update.zip on which ever kernel you want from Pete's page.

Good luck
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Nexus
    ^^^^ agreed. i went from bb 7.5 with 900/250 cpu setting. i did the update.zip method to bb 1.1 and had a bunch of issue. phone wouldnt wake up, the temp was of the chart when im not doing anything but IMing. apps keeps popping up with not responding and have to FC. so last night i did the nandroid method. backup and wipe and install. so far my droid is running smooth 900/250 with chevys 1.25 kernal. it has no issue with waking up. no FC so far on apps that i reinstalled (i didnt do a restore 'data', just installed what i backed up in astro). By doing the wipe the phone feel fresh and smooth even though i have to go back and create my folders, widget, gmail account and FB account etc..i think it was worth it. Im going to do a wipe with the next update but will do a "Data" restore.
    Last edited by ntrddragn; 02-23-2010 at 01:34 PM.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    OG Droid LFY1.95
    Thanks for the responses guys!
    Viscious, I used your method and it seemed to work great, thank you so much! my only problem is, my CPU temp is constantly running at and above 95-degF. Is this normal? I'm clocked at 900, 800 had the same problem.
    Last edited by fwellingtonfiii; 02-23-2010 at 08:03 PM.
  8. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ViciousCircle View Post
    Here's what I posted in another thread. You can do the update.zip method, but I've found doing the below works well also, and still retains all the 'stuff' on your phone and keeps the market links. Read through it first to make sure you've got the files for all the steps and you understand them.

First, do an advanced nandroid backup of your current setup (so all of your apps will be there when done). Name it something you'll remember. Really you only need the data portion, but I often back up the whole thing so I can get it back if something goes horribly wrong.

Then, download the nandroid version of the update, unpack it and put it in a folder in your nandroid folder on your sd card. If you're also installing a different kernel, put that in the root of your SD card and make sure it is named update.zip (also make sure your computer OS didn't screw up the name. Depending on your settings, it might be named update.zip.zip. You can check using astro on your phone.)

Then do the following in the recovery screen:

1. if you haven't already, do an advanced nandroid backup of your current setup. Select all options, name the backup something you'll remember, and run the backup.
    2. wipe/factory reset twice.
    3. advanced nandroid restore with everything checked of the new ROM you want to install.
    4. perform the restore
    5. (optional) If you're installing a different kernel, allow updates, then apply the update.zip for the kernel.
    6. another advanced nandroid restore. Pick the backup you did before doing all of the above (step 1), but only select the DATA option in the restore, then perform the restore.
    7. reboot your phone.

At that point, you should have the new ROM (and kernel if applicable) as well as all of your old apps which will still be linked to the market.

Disclaimer: Remember, doing any updating of ROM's and kernels is your own choice and done at your own risk. It's probably not going to happen, but there is a very slim chance of bricking your phone. That's why it is very important to do a full nandroid backup before attempting to apply new ROM's and kernels and such.
    Like you, I used Matt's instructions and rooted on Feb 14 which means I have BB 7.5. I've read several posts and, for now, there seems to be enough instability with the new Rom's to keep me from changing.

I used SetCPU and over clocked to 1000MHz. As of this writing, I've not had any problems with the Rom or the over clocking.

Mike
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    See my sig, silly!
    Quote Originally Posted by fwellingtonfiii View Post
    I've been all over this forum and AllDroid, and I can't seem to find the answers to some questions I have...

[Info] - I started off running Bugless Beast 7.5 right off of the stock 2.0.1, using the Update.zip method by following Matth3w's step by step guide. I have also made a backup of my stock ROM, using the same guide.

[Questions] - I want to go from 7.5 to the new 1.1, but I have been reading people having to deal with constant boot cycling. Has anyone been in my exact situation (not too rare), and went to 1.1 without any issues? Do we need to delete his data files from the old ROM? I don't want to lose anything off of my phone, so I would do the Update.zip method, again. Whichever guide you used would be very useful as well.
    - Also, since BB doesn't include OC, which kernal are you using? I would like to be able to run up to 900 and be stable (800 is fine).

I would really just like to get it right the first time haha. Thanks in advance.
    I did EXACTLY what you've done yesterday. I installed 1.1 over 0.7.5 with update.zip method with a back up first and it worked flawlessly! After, everything seemed to work and for the tether kernel, I did the DroidMod's Latest 1.2 GHz and then the ChevyNo1's 10 Slot 1.25 GHz with still no problems.

I have not lost any apps or information and used Matt's tutorial for the steps used to do this.

I LOVE IT!
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid!
    Hi. New here. Did Matt's guide to BB 7.5 / 1GHz - and it worked great. Getting a handle on this. Just asking a few questions to get it right!!

installed 1.1 over 0.7.5 with update.zip method with a back up first and it worked flawlessly!
    Install BB 1.1 using Matt's guide? Sounds like that's what you did. Just ckecking. I might want to try it too.

... for the tether kernel, I did the DroidMod's Latest 1.2 GHz and then the ChevyNo1's 10 Slot 1.25 GHz with still no problems.
    Is this only for tethering the Droid to PC? No need now / just asking.

Thanks / Brewer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links