DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: [Help] Editing Google Voice so refresh time is less than 5 minutes

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

[Help] Editing Google Voice so refresh time is less than 5 minutes

So this is kind of irritating when I receive notifications 5 minutes after a missed call. Is there a way to refresh voicemail checking to less than 5 minutes by manually editing the apk with the android sdk? I'd like to change it to 30 seconds if possible.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    That would probably wreak havoc on your battery life.

Here's what I do instead:

I set it up so that my google voice messages and transcriptions get sent to my gmail account. From there you can set up a filter which forwards all emails from google voice to your vtext gateway, yournumber@vzwpix.com. That way, when someone leaves you a voicemail, it gets forwarded almost immediately to you as an MMS message - so you get the notification as well as a transcription in a SINGLE text message. (as opposed to having google voice forward the transcriptions directly to your phone as several consecutive SMS messages)

By doing that, I've actually been able to set the notification interval on google voice to the max setting or even turn it off completely.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Another solution would be to simply forward google voice messages directly to your Gmail account, and then use the fact that Gmail pushes the emails to your phone almost instantly. I actually don't have Gmail notifications enabled on my phone, bc I get far too many emails and don't want my phone vibrating every 5 seconds!
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by zzpianoman View Post

I set it up so that my google voice messages and transcriptions get sent to my gmail account. From there you can set up a filter which forwards all emails from google voice to your vtext gateway, yournumber@vzwpix.com. That way, when someone leaves you a voicemail, it gets forwarded almost immediately to you as an MMS message - so you get the notification as well as a transcription in a SINGLE text message. (as opposed to having google voice forward the transcriptions directly to your phone as several consecutive SMS messages)

By doing that, I've actually been able to set the notification interval on google voice to the max setting or even turn it off completely.
    Can you set it up to send an actual attachment of the voicemail or are you just having it send a notification that you have a voicemail?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin1016 View Post

Can you set it up to send an actual attachment of the voicemail or are you just having it send a notification that you have a voicemail?
    I tried this out. It sends a link to download the message. I think I'd rather wait the 5 minutes than have to download the voicemail and play in the media player.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    If you have it set to transcribe, the email will be transcribed (well, as good as it can currently), the email will have a play button, that if you click it, it will download the mp3 and then play it, which may take a few minutes. However-
    If I can't understand the transcription, I'll go back into google voice, hit refresh and then click play - it will stream - not download, so this is much better and faster.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by elgordo123 View Post
    If you have it set to transcribe, the email will be transcribed (well, as good as it can currently), the email will have a play button, that if you click it, it will download the mp3 and then play it, which may take a few minutes. However-
    If I can't understand the transcription, I'll go back into google voice, hit refresh and then click play - it will stream - not download, so this is much better and faster.
    Good point.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Incredible, I'm going to do that right now! Thanks for the help.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    It would be nice if the google voice app supported push notifications - If gmail can do it, I don't see why google voice can't.

Links