DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swype for portrait mode, Android default for landscape

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Swype for portrait mode, Android default for landscape

Heres the thing, I love the swype keyboard but i'm not so hot about it in landscape mode where tapping would be much easier, i know you can change the keyboard by holding down and selecting it but is there a way to change the default depending on what orientation the screen is on?

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Nope. When Swype first came out, I was hoping for the same thing.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I was wondering the same thing. Do you know if it is possible with slide it or shapewriter?
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy SIII
    Quote Originally Posted by firefalldown View Post
    Heres the thing, I love the swype keyboard but i'm not so hot about it in landscape mode where tapping would be much easier, i know you can change the keyboard by holding down and selecting it but is there a way to change the default depending on what orientation the screen is on?
    Open your messenger (I use handcent) and then choose menu, settings, autorotate. The swype keyboards changes from portrait to landscape depending on how you hold it. Maybe this only works with handcent, but it works.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by allikanbe View Post
    Open your messenger (I use handcent) and then choose menu, settings, autorotate. The swype keyboards changes from portrait to landscape depending on how you hold it. Maybe this only works with handcent, but it works.
    He is asking for Skype to be used in portrait and the default keyboard in landscape.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    I don't understand why you don't just tap on the swype keyboard. In the swype settings you can turn off word prediction so it doesn't pop-up during tapping. This setting doesn't disable word prediction for swyping when it isn't 100% sure of the word you are swiping.

I tap all the time on the swype keyboard. I don't see what is different about tapping on the swype keyboard and tapping on the default keyboard?
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTiger View Post
    I don't understand why you don't just tap on the swype keyboard. In the swype settings you can turn off word prediction so it doesn't pop-up during tapping. This setting doesn't disable word prediction for swyping when it isn't 100% sure of the word you are swiping.

I tap all the time on the swype keyboard. I don't see what is different about tapping on the swype keyboard and tapping on the default keyboard?
    Single tapping? Sure that works great, but i'm talking about typing with both thumbs. When you start touching two keys at once swype interprets this by drawling a line between the two causing all sorts of nonsense to be typed.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    \
    Single tapping? Sure that works great, but i'm talking about typing with both thumbs. When you start touching two keys at once swype interprets this by drawling a line between the two causing all sorts of nonsense to be typed.
    Ugggh. I hadn't thought of that. I only use one handed tapping in portrait mode.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I want this too (as I would think LOTS of people would).

But we want to have access to speech to text in portrait and then if we want to Swype we can rotate to landscape!
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted Droid @ 1Ghz
    Long press the ?123 button and select input method, then choose the keyboard you want to use.
    It's not automatic, but it works.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links