DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about overclocking

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Question about overclocking

This is just a question and is not meant in an insulting way at all.

I can see that chips can be rated conservatively and I can see that Motorola might have underclocked the chip to conserve battery, but it seems very unlikely to me that a chip running at 550MHz is capable of working at double that speed. Setting a max cpu setting at 1200MHz when there's a 600MHz processor doesn't mean that you will get 1200MHz of actual performance. Have you guys been getting proportional gains in speed to the rates that people claim to be running at compared to the same performance measures on stock. Like I said I can see running faster, but not double the speed. What's the deal?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    It doesn't run at "double speed" at all times. Most people are (should) be using profiles to limit the speed during charging/sleep/etc. There's also a governor setting that allows an "ondemand" option. So, basically, you'll only be running at 1.2ghz when the phone needs to.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

1.2GHz

Yes, but does it actually get 1200MHz of real performance when it needs it compared to 600MHz. When doing that how much faster is it actually?
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by droidtom View Post
    Yes, but does it actually get 1.2MHz of real performance when it needs it compared to 600MHz. When doing that how much faster is it actually?
    I've noticed a considerable amount of more speed. I'm not a developer and really don't know if it's getting "real performance" but it certainly runs nice, fast and smooth.
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    The difference is enough to make me keep mine at 1.2Ghz

If I smoke it...lesson learned and I'll bite the bullet and come out of pocket....
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I posted this on another thread but no reply, maybe ill get one here. Isn't the charging profile useless if you have the failsafe profile enabled? I mean purpose of having the charging one on is so it wont overheat. Also the failsafe profile has priority over the charging one. Am I correct here so I can enable my charging profile or am I missing something?
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Has that newly rooted smell...
    Overclocking has been intriguing me for a little while now. But there have been a few videos floating around showing users' phones running at 1GHz, 1.1GHz, 1.2GHz.... and it didn't appear THAT much startlingly faster than mine, at least not enough to make me jump in to it..... yet. I know something probably gets lost in watching a video as opposed to if I were to actually have the phone in my hand, but I'm going to continue to sit out and watch for a little while longer at least.
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by droidtom View Post
    This is just a question and is not meant in an insulting way at all.

I can see that chips can be rated conservatively and I can see that Motorola might have underclocked the chip to conserve battery, but it seems very unlikely to me that a chip running at 550MHz is capable of working at double that speed. Setting a max cpu setting at 1200MHz when there's a 600MHz processor doesn't mean that you will get 1200MHz of actual performance. Have you guys been getting proportional gains in speed to the rates that people claim to be running at compared to the same performance measures on stock. Like I said I can see running faster, but not double the speed. What's the deal?
    The closest thing I have to data concerning this is the little benchmark program in SetCPU. Stock (but rooted) droids running at 550 mhz will benchmark at 400-600 (milliseconds to perform some predetermined task(s). My droid running Bugless Beast at 1.2 Ghz has a new record for me of 119 ms. That's faster. Now, I do not think it is four times faster, because without knowing what the tasks are there's no way to truly evaluate it. There are other benchmark test out there. But this is the one I've been using for a month or so.
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    Quote Originally Posted by cisco0910 View Post
    I posted this on another thread but no reply, maybe ill get one here. Isn't the charging profile useless if you have the failsafe profile enabled? I mean purpose of having the charging one on is so it wont overheat. Also the failsafe profile has priority over the charging one. Am I correct here so I can enable my charging profile or am I missing something?
    well i think the idea is just that you don't want your phone to be constantly relying on a failsafe. charging produces enough heat that you probably don't want to be overlocking while doing it, otherwise you're going to be running very hot and it's going to be hitting failsafe and toggling off anyway, so why not just avoid all the excessive heat and reliance on a failsafe and reduce the clock speed off the bat.
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    over clocking is a gamble I'm willing to take. If the phone only last me 1-2 years so be it. I only plan on having it for 12 months...

If I fry it... shame on me
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links