DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instal BusyBox on Mac help??

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    G1 and MotoDroid

Instal BusyBox on Mac help??

I am reading Big Lou's how to on installing busybox as found here: Install Busybox | Root Your Droid

What I am having trouble with is translating his windows commands to Mac/Unix commands all the way through. I got to the part where it wants me to copy the busybox file from the Android SDK (which I'm not even sure is the right version? I've DLd it a while ago, so does it have to be a new DL?) and I can't tell if its copied it or not because none of the commands I'm trying to translate are working out.

Can you guys help me please??

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by zero7starz View Post
    I am reading Big Lou's how to on installing busybox as found here: Install Busybox | Root Your Droid

What I am having trouble with is translating his windows commands to Mac/Unix commands all the way through. I got to the part where it wants me to copy the busybox file from the Android SDK (which I'm not even sure is the right version? I've DLd it a while ago, so does it have to be a new DL?) and I can't tell if its copied it or not because none of the commands I'm trying to translate are working out.

Can you guys help me please??
    The purpose of those directions is to install busybox on your phone. It is much easier to root your phone and use droidroothelper to install busybox than to follows those commands. Regardless, you will need ROOT on your phone to execute those commands.

First try downloading this and see if it comes with ADB.

Download the Android SDK | Android Developers

If it does your in luck! Otherwise you will have to download a terminal emulator from the market and use your phone to execute those commands, after you find a way to transfer busybox over to your SDCARD.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid Rooted: BB 950Mhz
    The roothelper is your best bet, no commands and stuff the phone does iy for you, rooth the phone and download "droid root helper" from the market its free. Folor the directions for it and there you go.
    HPF Turbo Stage II Kit:17,000$
    Blue Candy Paint Finish: 3,000$
    DrOiD Kickin' it on the dashboard:600$

Watching your ex and her new boyfriend stare at your bimmer as they crash into a tree.....
    PRICELESS
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    +1, I have a mac and asked the same question. Just go with droid root helper like everyone says. Super easy
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    G1 and MotoDroid
    I tried that /first/ and the fricken program just FCs and freezes. -_- Thats why I wanted to just do it on the terminal emulator. The phones already rooted and has BB on it, this was just kinda the "last thing" and its becoming the most annoying.

I'll try unin/reinstaling DRH and see if it'll... well... work
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    G1 and MotoDroid
    Uninstall/reinstall got it to fix the FC error, and it did actually allow me to install busybox. Whoop backed up now too >_> so I can continue to play with it and if I effup I can well go back and not have to go through this again. Thx guys.
  8. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    I tried that /first/ and the fricken program just FCs and freezes. -_- Thats why I wanted to just do it on the terminal emulator. The phones already rooted and has BB on it, this was just kinda the "last thing" and its becoming the most annoying.

I'll try unin/reinstaling DRH and see if it'll... well... work
    I'm a Mac user. Sunday, I rooted my phone. I did not follow the process developed by BigLou. I used instructions provided by Matth3w (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...lator-zip.html). Matt was very helpful during the process.

I don't know the advantages or disadvantages of the two. Perhaps someone with more expertise can tell you.

I used firefox to download the files and everything worked as described.

Now, I want to continue with customizing so I'm trying to figure out if I can use Busybox or will the process I used require me to follow a similar format to the one I used to root and install the BB rom.

I'm open to suggestions.

Mike
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    G1 and MotoDroid
    I think you could be able to do exactly what I did and get busybox to work.

Go to the market and DL DroidRootHelper
    Also DL Linda File Manager, AndroZip, and the Zip File in the "Get the Tools" menu (menu as in pressing the menu key) in DRH. (Linda and Andro are both direct linked in the "Get the Tools" as well).

Once those are all installed, open Linda File Manager and go to the SD Card > AndroZip > Tools. Long press the Tools folder and select Copy. Then go back one screen to the ROOT of your SDCard, and hit Menu+V (hold both) to copy tools to the root of your sdcard. Once that is done, go back to DroidRootHelper.

In DRH, select the first Mount Option, then Install ad chmod busybox (installs to /system/bin). Then go down and reboot.

To figure out if busybox has installed, I tried to open Metamorph. Obviously, because it checked for busybox to make sure it was installed before letting me into the program. These steps worked for me
  10. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    I think you could be able to do exactly what I did and get busybox to work.

Go to the market and DL DroidRootHelper
    Also DL Linda File Manager, AndroZip, and the Zip File in the "Get the Tools" menu (menu as in pressing the menu key) in DRH. (Linda and Andro are both direct linked in the "Get the Tools" as well).

Once those are all installed, open Linda File Manager and go to the SD Card > AndroZip > Tools. Long press the Tools folder and select Copy. Then go back one screen to the ROOT of your SDCard, and hit Menu+V (hold both) to copy tools to the root of your sdcard. Once that is done, go back to DroidRootHelper.

In DRH, select the first Mount Option, then Install ad chmod busybox (installs to /system/bin). Then go down and reboot.

To figure out if busybox has installed, I tried to open Metamorph. Obviously, because it checked for busybox to make sure it was installed before letting me into the program. These steps worked for me
    Thanks. I will check out the DRH app.Linda, etc. I'm always cautious so I will do a lot of reading before I proceed.

Mike
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    G1 and MotoDroid
    All DRH seems to be is an application that basically writes the code prompts for you, so you don't have to type them in yourself.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links