DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Rooted Gingerbread Droid 4 Bricked after ICS Ice Cream Sandwich OTA update

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid 4

Rooted Gingerbread Droid 4 Bricked after ICS Ice Cream Sandwich OTA update

Hi,

I'm new here, I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. My apologies if not.

I have a rooted Verizon Droid 4 running Gingerbread. I had busybox installed to root it, and I configured it using the Droid utility on OS X some months ago. I used Titanium Backup (with root) to freeze the bloatware.

Fast forward to a couple days ago, when Verizon pushed the ICS update to it's phones. I downloaded it and ran it, and it reported "update failed", then I smacked myself in the head and remembered that I didn't un-root the phone.

So I disabled root via busybox, and then retried the update. It downloaded and ran, and now it gets stuck at the Droid animation screen (the one after the "M" "Dual Core" screen).

I'm thinking it's because I did not unfreeze those apps through Titanium?

In any case, I've tried restoring it to Gingerbread (219) (VRZ_XT894_6.5.1-167_DR4-1_M1-219_1FF_01.xml), and it fails on step 6/18 (cdt.bin).

I understand that you can't flash back to Gingerbread from Ice Cream Sandwich, but I'm not sure if ICS ever went all the way through.

Right now I'm downloading the ICS fastboot files (I've been attempting all these restorations via RSD Lite on a mac pro with bootcamp, and a factory cable that I made from the instructions on here (what a pain in the ass that soldering was)).

Does anyone have any advice on what to do to return my phone to stock? I can't get it to do anything.

Many, many thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help. I've been tearing my hair out over this for the last 3 days.

3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Twitter
    SnkBitten
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Flash the ICS fastboot files, that should do it for you.

If that doesn't work on the Mac running bootcamp you may need to find someone with a Windows PC you can use.

Root won't affect installing the OTA, nor will frozen apps. Busy Box, Safestrap, deleting/replacing "system" apps, etc.. will.
    Tom Crews
    SnkBitten - http://android.snkbitten.com/ (OG Droid)
    Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid 3 and Droid 4 (all + Root)
    Motorola X DevEd KK 4.4 + Root
    Google Nexus 10 KK 4.4.2 + Root

Links