DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Tether PS3 online

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid :)
    gaming online doesn't eat up a lot of data, you'd be surprised how little it actually uses, but the lag will be BAD. 100+ms of lag will be a killer for gaming.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Actually, I tried it out on my buddies Xbox360 because I figured one game wouldn't hurt. I couldn't get to connect directly from Xbox to droid via wifi, but I could tether the laptop and the run an ethernet cable to the Xbox.

From my experience I played a game on it (CODMW2 Capture the flag ~5-10 min in length) and the wifi tether only racked up 6mb of data. Yes, that is correct, SIX. I turned on Pandora on the laptop after the game and racked that up within a matter of minutes.

As for the lag, there was some but I've played with worse, and if it was all I had it would be good enough.

I found the results just as surprising, while playing the game the tether only showed 17-23 kbs while after the game when I turned on Pandora it immediately shot into the upper 200 kbs.

Not sure what to make of it, but it works and didn't seem to take much data at all. Would anyone else be willing to try and confirm this in a similar situation?
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid :)
    Quote Originally Posted by MK17 View Post
    Actually, I tried it out on my buddies Xbox360 because I figured one game wouldn't hurt. I couldn't get to connect directly from Xbox to droid via wifi, but I could tether the laptop and the run an ethernet cable to the Xbox.

From my experience I played a game on it (CODMW2 Capture the flag ~5-10 min in length) and the wifi tether only racked up 6mb of data. Yes, that is correct, SIX. I turned on Pandora on the laptop after the game and racked that up within a matter of minutes.

As for the lag, there was some but I've played with worse, and if it was all I had it would be good enough.

I found the results just as surprising, while playing the game the tether only showed 17-23 kbs while after the game when I turned on Pandora it immediately shot into the upper 200 kbs.

Not sure what to make of it, but it works and didn't seem to take much data at all. Would anyone else be willing to try and confirm this in a similar situation?
    as i stated, online gaming does not use up very much data. online gaming does not require high bandwidth, but it does require good ping times.
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    I did a test of TF2, which is very different from a console game but I hadn't tried gaming yet so I gave it a shot.

Playing I usually had 120 down and 25 up with a ping of 115. I played a spy so if there was lag I didn't notice much.

I wouldn't use a phones connection for PS3 gaming. It will be mostly miserable and ruin the game for others too. Although a lot of PS3 games do have dedicated server activity so you never know.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    some interesting data here. i'll try it out myself and see how much data and how the lag is.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Well I online game with the droid wifi tethering. Pokerstars.com FTW!!! Not really the same as what everyone here is going for though.
    Woody...........ah im goin to joggle my whittling knife in ya....

DroidMod- FAST! Racehorse duct-taped to a SCUD Missile fast!

Friendly Reminder to all members

Favorite word combination: Boat Regatta?
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Extremely bored tonight watching the Olympics so I decided to rig it up to tether my droid to my ps3 after my test of TF2 on the pc.

My results were surprising. I tried MAG first since it was already in the drive. I joined a 128 player game and experienced zero lag. I suck at MAG so I only managed to kill 4 other players in the 10 minutes I played.

I figured my results were a little too ideal so I fired up Uncharted 2. I had to get the latest patch which was 15 MB and it downloaded fairly fast and topped out the connection at 2.1 mbps. It took me a little over 3 minutes to get into a game but I've never had it be blazing fast on my cable connection. I played a team deathmatch with 10 people total and once again was amazed at the gameplay. I played the entire match with zero lag. I managed to get the top spot on my team in kills but we still lost.

I wouldn't say these results are typical though. I am within 10 miles of a verizon tower and I live in a very low tech rural town that probably has all of 20 smartphones in it. I did a speedtest on my phone after playing and had a ping of 94 ms with a down connection of 2.14 Mbps and up of .76 Mbps. I don't think I've ever seen a ping that low before.

Forgot to add that in total it was 60 MB down and 10 MB up after playing MAG and Uncharted plus the 15 MB update.
    Last edited by lordegregious; 02-15-2010 at 08:42 AM.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Interesting...
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    Quote Originally Posted by lordegregious View Post
    Extremely bored tonight watching the Olympics so I decided to rig it up to tether my droid to my ps3 after my test of TF2 on the pc.

My results were surprising. I tried MAG first since it was already in the drive. I joined a 128 player game and experienced zero lag. I suck at MAG so I only managed to kill 4 other players in the 10 minutes I played.

I figured my results were a little too ideal so I fired up Uncharted 2. I had to get the latest patch which was 15 MB and it downloaded fairly fast and topped out the connection at 2.1 mbps. It took me a little over 3 minutes to get into a game but I've never had it be blazing fast on my cable connection. I played a team deathmatch with 10 people total and once again was amazed at the gameplay. I played the entire match with zero lag. I managed to get the top spot on my team in kills but we still lost.

I wouldn't say these results are typical though. I am within 10 miles of a verizon tower and I live in a very low tech rural town that probably has all of 20 smartphones in it. I did a speedtest on my phone after playing and had a ping of 58 ms with a down connection of 2.64 Mbps and up of .76 Mbps. I don't think I've ever seen a ping that low before.

Forgot to add that in total it was 60 MB down and 10 MB up after playing MAG and Uncharted plus the 15 MB update.
    how did you get your ps3 hooked up?i couldn't get it to see my wifi from the phone. so i hooked my computer up, and then i shared the connection with an ethernet cable, but i coudln't keep the ps3 connected to it. how did you do it?
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    I've played my fair share of games over wifi tethering, both from my Laptop and from my ps3. Honestly, the lag is more than bearable in the city that I live in, and actually with games like MW2 and TF2, I found that I could play just as quickly as I could on a standard DSL connection. Ping times were still around 100-115, but considering I've had much much much worse than that on a standard land line. Needless to say there was a pleasant surprise.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links