DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: A question about a voided warranty

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID

A question about a voided warranty

What exactly does this mean in terms of getting a new phone? I've searched and seen people say that bricking your phone will "void it's warranty", but I can't really find any more info. Does this mean that I will have to purchase a brand new phone from verizon at the non-contract price? Or will the 6.99 I pay to Asurion every month allow me to pay the deductible and get a new phone. Suppose I were to brick my phone, and then "accidentally" run over it with my car, would I be able to file an insurance claim then? Thanks for any info you can give me.
  2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    If you bricked your phone, honestly you could say anything because they wouldn't know what happened to it cause it wouldn't work if you bricked it. But, since it is almoe=st impossible to brick a Droid, you're referring to the fact that rooting will void your warranty. And it will void it, which means you would have no coverage on the phone and Verizon wouldn't replace it for you. But, since the only way this would happen is if they knew about it being rooted, then you're good. You can always unroot if you would ever have to take it in to get it serviced....

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    un-rooting will bring your Droid back into the state covered under warranty.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Intentionally running over your phone for an insurance claim is called insurance fraud.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Cool thanks for the info. And I would never intentionally drive over my phone. I said if I accidentally ran over my phone could I file an insurance claim. Thanks again
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    The insurance covers accidents. You didn't/wouldn't have bricked your phone on purpose? Isn't that an accident?
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    if you have asurion, you will get a new phone and all that good stuff BUT they make you return the old broken phone when you get the new one in the mail. you have like 15 days to return it and if you dont return the old one they charge you anything up to 300$! i know this cause my phone fell in the sink yesterday.. and i had to do all the good stuff today. so in all that if you brick your phone and you have to return it than there gona find out and see that you bricked it and will void your warranty
    Last edited by AKvenGence1; 03-23-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Links