DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing it safe.

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Question Playing it safe.

So basically my phone is all scratched up because I am an idiot and dropped it a few times. I was rooted with SholesMod Updater. I had their 2.0.3 rom on all of last week. (i know, i am a noob when it comes to this. I have only been rooting for a week.) Today, i switched back to the stock rom because i figured i would just get the OTA coming out. I also figured that i would take devs about a day to figure out how to root the 2.1 update. High and low, through sholes updated i have used their 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 roms and they are both on my sd care. As long as i am at stock and i take my cell to verizon to get it switched up they shouldnt kill my warranty, right? I was thinking should i go so far as to delete the .zips off of my sd card and delete the SholesMod Updater app as well? (i can always get them back as i have them purchased) To what extent do you all think I should go to make sure they dont kill my warranty?

Thanks

*Also, sorry if something like this has been posted; im new.
    Last edited by zaldonisj; 02-09-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Afterthought.

3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    You may want to do that. Also make sure that you're not only flashed back to the stock ROM, but completely un-rooted. You can tell if you're rooted or not by whether or not there is the "Superuser Permissions" application in your app drawer.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Err you know assuming they could root the 2.1 update was a bit presumptuous, not exactly a concern for you at this immediate moment but consider that google could've easily pushed a patched 2.1 (they quickly fixed the 2.0.x upgrade exploit) that didn't allowing rooting
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    This debate has been going on since the OTA was announced. I have seen people on both sides of the argument. Are you familiar with sholesmod? If so, is it possible for me to stay rooted. Mess around with all the mods that will be coming out for the phone. and when i need to get work done on my phone just revert to stock version. then install the OTA update and verizon will never know?

Also, if i just root it with SholesMod Updater will this disable the OTA update? or will i have to Deny it when it offers me the chance to update.

Yet another question that comes to mind is, what if they roll out the update and i am rooted. It realizes i am rooted and my cell bricks...

Sorry for all these questions and concerns. The topic of this is moving off track of the title a little bit but oh well. Thanks for all your help.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    Quote Originally Posted by zaldonisj View Post
    So basically my phone is all scratched up because I am an idiot and dropped it a few times. I was rooted with SholesMod Updater. I had their 2.0.3 rom on all of last week. (i know, i am a noob when it comes to this. I have only been rooting for a week.) Today, i switched back to the stock rom because i figured i would just get the OTA coming out. I also figured that i would take devs about a day to figure out how to root the 2.1 update. High and low, through sholes updated i have used their 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 roms and they are both on my sd care. As long as i am at stock and i take my cell to verizon to get it switched up they shouldnt kill my warranty, right? I was thinking should i go so far as to delete the .zips off of my sd card and delete the SholesMod Updater app as well? (i can always get them back as i have them purchased) To what extent do you all think I should go to make sure they dont kill my warranty?

Thanks

*Also, sorry if something like this has been posted; im new.
    a good way to tell is
    a)look for superuser.apk, if no, go on
    b) try to use a root ONLY app, if no, go on
    c)use astro and look in /data and if you see basically nothing, if no, go on
    d) when you go into recovery mode you see the regular stock recovery image.

If ALL of these come out as a NO for you, youre good to take it into verizon, this means youre completely unrooted. and you CAN delete it off your sdcard, but no real need to, you can just tell them you were thinkin about it lol thats even IF they ask
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    PLus your gonna want to pull the sd card. Some folks have reported getting "new" phones without the sd card. At least be aware of this.

Craig
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    how are you planing on swapping after you damaged the phone anyways? they wont warranty your phone because you dropped it.......
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Fascinate
    Quote Originally Posted by Guchi View Post
    how are you planing on swapping after you damaged the phone anyways? they wont warranty your phone because you dropped it.......
    so true.... lol
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guchi View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

If someone is going to do a warranty exchange, obviously don't be rooted, although many techs wouldn't know the difference anyway, but once un-rooted, backup your pictures, music, etc. and do a format of the SD Card.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    and if you want to use an asurion claim it doesnt realy matter what you did to it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links