DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Suggest Some Post-Root Alterations

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Nexus

Suggest Some Post-Root Alterations

ok, im in desperate need of suggestions of what i can do to my droid now that ive rooted it. im like an addict. ive got my first fix of manipulating this bad boy and i want more! so, ive compiled a tiny list of what ive done to my rooted droid, basically beginner stuff. i was hoping some of you would enlighten me as to what else i should do. what have yall done? whats the purpose? was it easy? throw out the suggestions, here are mine, for those just starting out with the rooting process:
    1) install bugless beast - super easy using the following thread found here on droidforums.net
    ( http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hac...ast-noobs.html )

2) overclocked to 950Mhz using SetCPU, also use profiles to prolong battery life - i found it extremely easy to do this. at first, i had some issues with 950 and dropped it to 800. but after a few days, im back to 950 with no issues
    ( SetCPU for Root Users v1.4.5 Application for Android | Tools ) ( also found at the very end of the first post of the "bugless beast for noobs" thread)

3) used "spare parts" to speed up windows animations and transition animations - makes the screen transitions and all super-fast. i used to experience a slight stall when changing windows. but now, even with widgets on each of my three pages, its smooth as silk. highly suggested
    ( Spare Parts vdonut Application for Android | Tools )

4) tether - i have gone thru the steps of tethering my droid, but have yet to test it. i really dont have a use for it. but from what ive read, it is highly recommended for those who may find a use for it. i wont suggest any app or steps for this item, because ive yet to test it. will someone who has please suggest a good how-to and app? thanks.
    on a side note, i still use home++. i love the power strip at the bottom, and really hope someone can come up with a way to install the power strip only. using bugless beast with home++ doesnt cause many force closes for me (perhaps two in the six days since ive rooted), so ill recommend that one too, but i wont include it on the list, since you can do it without rooting

so, chime in. what did yall do? what tips and tricks do yall suggest? from what i sense, a rooted droid is a powerful things. i cant wait to see what else this thing is capable of. thanks for reading/sharing
    Current Phone: Galaxy Nexus; running smooth and with no complaints, thanks to dev Peter Alfonso. Keep up the good work.
    Previous Phone: Droid (OG); unceremoniously dumped into the nightstand (I feel as if I should place it onto a wooden barge, set it afloat and light her on fire...).
    Phone Before That: Doesn't matter.

2. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    Well, honestly, what you listed is about the main things you can do with a rooted Droid. Unless you get into some developers code and things of that nature....devs have a "dev" phone to assist with developing apps for the Android platform, and basically all a dev phone is, is a rooted phone. Because you need the root access and permissions to access the things necessary to build against the platform...so maybe you could get into developing or something...its really interesting. I took a free class today on the Android platform and developing apps, over a live webcam with an Android developer! It was actually really cool and I plan on doing it next week as well

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    AdFree.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Nexus
    i forgot about adfree. i did pop that one on there too early on. thanks!

i will look into the development aspect. i actually have some friends who are heavily into development. ive been talking with them about a serious idea i have for an application, but theyve moved virtually no where in the two months weve been talking. moving on by myself wouldnt be a bad idea. ill look into it, natediddy. thanks!

backinblack... installing now! thanks!
    Current Phone: Galaxy Nexus; running smooth and with no complaints, thanks to dev Peter Alfonso. Keep up the good work.
    Previous Phone: Droid (OG); unceremoniously dumped into the nightstand (I feel as if I should place it onto a wooden barge, set it afloat and light her on fire...).
    Phone Before That: Doesn't matter.

6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I personally love Root Explorer, it does cost like $2.00, but it's well spent (imho)
    Terminal Emulator, and Battery Life Widget (tells you your batt temp as well as % life left)
    I also have Home++, mainly because of the Power Bar, it allows you to have all the staples of the phone, without taking up space.

Links