Ok, so after all of what you will see (a lot of frustration on my part) after this post...this is my conclusion (so far):
- Installing using the SM Updater app was obviously easier than typing console commands, but I ran into a lot of conflicts. Unfortunately it was hard to tell what install options were conflicting with which of my apps, and sadly, since no one uses the same apps, it would be almost impossible to troubleshoot on the forum shy of installing each app one by one and working with the phone for 15-20 minutes each time...which for me with a bunch of apps, would take forever. I did a complete wipe before moving from BB to Sholes, but that didn't seem to help for some reason. Obviously my trials and tribulations were much off the charts for a normal experience with Sholes, as many users report about how easy it is to use or install. I'm sure had I not been moving from one ROM to another with a ton of apps that I wouldn't have had one single issue (except I DID have two battery pulls during install which probably had nothing to do with the previous ROM).
- I had an impossible time with Titanium Backup restoring my stuff that I didn't have with Bugless Beast
- At first it was absolutely horrible. Not speed wise, that was irrelevant (maybe 10ms slower than BB which is absolutely unnoticeable)...but force closes, battery pulls, etc.
Reinstalling the ROM:
- I decided to reinstall and see how that would work. Initially it hung up on "creating a backup" and I actually had to reboot, go into Astro and delete pretty much all of my system generated Nandroid backups, then it worked instantly. I should also mention that my first install had a lot of 2.1 crap I guess which didn't like my current apps (perhaps).
- No issues thus far, speed seems good, just about on par with BB rom from Pete. Did not use anything from 2.1 on this install except for the gallery. Even the music app I kept stock.
- Nothing in particular stands out about this ROM that BB doesn't have (or vice versa, depending on which direction you are "upgrading from") that I need that made it anything better than an experiment between ROMs. Obviously this was easier to upgrade (assuming you didn't run into conflicts the first time like I did), but if there was even one minor option on Pete's BB that I liked more I would spend the 5 minutes using his ROM through the terminal as opposed to this. Same with the other way around. I'm glad I tried this ROM out though just to see how the updater works (for perhaps helping people in the future, etc). I'm going to keep it for now until I one of the ROMs comes out with something that the other doesn't have at which point I will either stay with Sholes or change back to BB. The only issues I am still having are with the maps FCing (I know how to fix it just haven't yet) and the Weather portion of the News/Weather widget is not updating, even after hitting refresh and "use my location" settings. Not sure what the issue is with that one quite yet.
EDIT: Back to BB, they released 7.5