DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: 2.1 on the way, But i want to root?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Incredible 2

2.1 on the way, But i want to root?

Hey guys, soooo since the Sholesmod updater app was revealed recently and everybody has been rooting lately i've been wanting to jump on the bandwagon. But then today i was reading that 2.1 is going to be released this week. Well i want the 2.1 update but i also want to root. Is this a problem? I know the rooted phones have the apps of 2.1 in them but i want it to be stable so the OTA seem to be my best bet? Or am i completely wrong on this stuff?

I basically only want to root to overclock and change my notification bar color. Im not too sure if i want the Smoked glass theme yet. But for now can I just root and keep the OTA of 2.1 update?

Or do i download the Sholesmod and uncheck all the 2.1 apps? will that work?

Thanks

Oh.. and im really sorry if this question has come up 1,000 times already, im sure it has.

3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    CyanogenMod :-)
    Well man, if you use the SholesMod app, it will root your phone, therefore disabling OTA updates.....

So no, you will not receive the OTA if you do this

4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Rooting your phone w/o installing the Sholes ROM will not prevent you from receiving the OTA. I am running Sholes, and am probably going to go back to stock just to see what the OTA 2.1 will be like. Don't believe for 1 second that Engadget knows for a fact that it won't have all the 2.1 features that the N1 has. I believe the O.P. should just wait to root or install Sholes until after getting 2.1 - then wait for Sholes to come out with another ROM to perfect or add things that 2.1 doesn't have.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D R O I D
    Quote Originally Posted by joemustang View Post
    I basically only want to root to overclock and change my notification bar color. Im not too sure if i want the Smoked glass theme yet. But for now can I just root and keep the OTA of 2.1 update?

Or do i download the Sholesmod and uncheck all the 2.1 apps? will that work?
    Well you can use the sholesmod and do all that (use all teh eye candy you want)
    then when people start going crazy (2.1.1 actual release) you can use the sholesmad to go back to stock (super easy) to get the OTA update.

This would be the easiest way for you.

Links