DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: OC and Battery life

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Question OC and Battery life

So im thinking of rooting and overclocking my droid to 800mhz. Did you guys notice a significant drain when you were actual using your phone? I know when its idle you can set it do under clock the processer.

3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 42o View Post
    So im thinking of rooting and overclocking my droid to 800mhz. Did you guys notice a significant drain when you were actual using your phone? I know when its idle you can set it do under clock the processer.
    You can control this pretty much by setting up your profiles in SetCPU. This will have the phone idol at a much lower rate thus saving battery. If we didn't have that then yes, it would use more battery.

Saturday was my first day of using it without recharging and I would say that under my "normal" use battery charge time appeared to be about the same. If I started using it more I'd see a drop but once idol it settled down quickly.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  4. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    it drains fast under heavy use, but under light use (aka, a lot of idle time) it actually seems to last longer

I'm running an OC at 800, but my idle profile's a lot lower
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 2
    I'm running Bugless Beast 7.4 at 950/250 with my Setcpu profiles all being pretty aggressive. I'm also using Juice Defender to turn off some services when not needed. Actually I just downloaded Juice Defender yesterday. So I do not yet have a good feel for it's impact on my battery, but I'm hopeful. Anyway, my battery certainly lasts as long as it did before overclocking and it may actually be a little better. I makes it to bedtime everyday and that is all I care about as I charge it overnight.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 42o View Post
    You can control this pretty much by setting up your profiles in SetCPU. This will have the phone idol at a much lower rate thus saving battery. If we didn't have that then yes, it would use more battery.

Saturday was my first day of using it without recharging and I would say that under my "normal" use battery charge time appeared to be about the same. If I started using it more I'd see a drop but once idol it settled down quickly.
    You mean "Idle" not Idol.

OP, I mostly run at 550Mhz for most of the day and bump it to 800Mhz when I am tethering and playing a game. Runs smooth as butter but battery seems to drain about 15-20% faster.
    Last edited by lockdownx1x; 02-08-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Links