DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Busy Box help

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Busy Box help

My friend and i who have some computer skill, have been trying all morning to get busy box, we rooted, and in cmd we ran all the commands for busy box, as in we put busy box in the sdk tools folder etc

We get through all the different commands we are suppose to put in and then reboot and no application comes up on my droid, we have done this several times with several different ways

-Also, we are having some issues connecting to our windows 7 64 bit computers, we couldnt connect then we debugged and then we could, now we cannot, but using droid explorer we can use that, but we cannot get into the removable disk through the computer

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    installing busybox doesnt give you any kind of application. All busybox does is gives you more linux commands to use in adb.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    how do i manage the files etc on the phone, like how do i get a command prompt on my phone.

We are getting stuck on what to do next, we have rooted and hopefully installed busybox, what do you do next, to get something to manage everything and install themes etc on the phone, we are getting lost on what to do next, ie how to manage everything

We got super bluetooth hack and we are trying to open the .jar file and run it, this is why we initially started to root and so we need something to open it, and we are just looking for more stuff to put on the phone

thanks
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    in the market download better terminal emulator for the command prompt on the phone. To manage everything (files, folders) again go to market and download root explorer. As far as themes and stuff go it just all depends on what you want and how youre doing it..
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Kicker,

Astro is a file manager that will let you see most things on the phone. But, it does not have su permission, so you cannot use to make a lot of changes to system files. It is a general file explorer and viewing program that will allow chnages on the sd card.

Rooter Explorer or SUFSB are also file managers that will let you explore, and make changes to the phone root. SUFSB also has a terminal program.

You need a terminal program on the phone to bring up a cmd/dos like interface on the phone to execute commands, scripts, etc. I use to use Terminal Emulator App, as it does many things. I am now using Better Terminal Emulator, as it has more options, and will let you have more power to do things. As an example, there are some file/change routines that seem like they should work with Terminal Emulator, Root Explorer or SUFSB, and appear to work, but don't. ADB seems like the most powerful tool, followed by Better Terminal Emulator, then Root Explorer and SUFSB.

Craig
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    yea those cost haha but thanks.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 2.01
    Courtesy of Se7enLC

I'll do what I can, but generally a detailed step-by-step is a bad idea, especially if you don't know what each step is doing. Very easy to get yourself into trouble. I take no responsibility for what happens, especially if you make a typo. I'll give you what I can remember, though

1). Get busybox onto the phone somehow. The tutorials on here use ADB, but that's overkill. You could also plug the phone into a USB port and just drag-and-drop it. Or you could do like I did and email it to yourself. Use a program like ASTRO or AndExplorer to find the file once it is on the phone. I think mine ended up in /sdcard/download when I emailed it. It would probably end up in just /sdcard if you drag+drop from a PC. Just make sure you get that binary file onto the phone and make sure you know where it is.

2). Mount /system as read/write. By default, you can't write to /system. You need to remount the /system drive as writeable before you can put files there.

Code:
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    3). Copy the binary to /system/bin. This is tricky, since you don't have a program that can copy until busybox is installed. Make sure that you replace /sdcard/busybox with wherever you copied busybox to on the phone. Make sure you get the ENTIRE filename. If it ends in .bin or something, include that. Make sure that if you have a .zip that you have already extracted it.

Code:
    cat /sdcard/busybox > /system/bin/busybox
    If this step works, it should go directly to the next # prompt with no errors.

4). Make busybox executable.
    In order to be able to run it, it needs to be marked as an executable file.

Code:
    chmod 755 /system/bin/busybox
    If this step works, it will go directly to the next # prompt with no errors.

5). Try running busybox
    . Just type "busybox" and see if it says anything. If it does, you're set. If there's an error, it's not.

6). sync and remount /system back to being read-only. This is a good idea to do, just so that you don't accidentally write to /system when you don't mean to.
    Code:
    sync
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    If any of these steps do something unexpected or if you're not sure, don't keep going. If you make a typo, even a small one (extra space, missing a space, etc) it could break stuff, so be very careful.

Links