DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Developing - Where to start?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Droid X

Developing - Where to start?

I really want to start developing for Android on my Droid X. Problem is I have no idea where to start.

I would like to get to the point where I could make apps, create my own custom Roms, and such things like that.

I would also like to be able to find a way to turn my radio chip into a transmitter so that I can stream music to my car stereo, without it being through Bluetooth or any wires.

Can somebody point me into the direction I need to go? Which coding I need to learn? Anything that can help me get started and maybe a suggestion on what i should start with until I can get a better understanding?

Thanks in advance!

-Shaggy

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Anybody??

Sent from your mom's house using my Droid X
  4. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member

1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
  5. dvdcatalyst
    I'm no good on doing stuff with roms and such, but to start making apps, I would suggest to start here:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing.html

s
    tart with something small and that interests you, or something that you do on a daily basis on your Droid X, but takes multiple steps.

Don't start right away with something like addressing the hardware directly on your phone, or anything more fancy.

Starting with something big like that, or a fancy game or anything like that will be too big of a task, and will take too long before you actually get results, and likely you will never finish it or even continue development.

the SDK lets you build a Hello World app.

From there, start with making it say something else, like Hello Shaggy Kid.
    It sounds super simple, but to find where the message is will give you an idea of how it works.

After that, try putting a picture underneath it, make it centered, scale the image etc.

What I found that works best for me for making apps is to find something you would actually use/need yourself. It gives you that much more interest to continue development on it, and you are your own biggest betatester.

Quite a few developers in the Play Store just try and clone popular games, hoping to get at least some of the cash from the success of the games they clone, but of course they don't actually care about the app they build themselves.

If you want something bigger, dissect your idea into small, manageable pieces. For a streaming app (no idea if it is possible with your transmitter) I would suggest to try and build something that would play a music file first. After that, have it look for music files on your memorycard and have it show a list of them.
    Then try making something that would let you select a song from that list, skip back one, or skip forward.

Sites of interest:

Hello, World | Android Developers
    Stack Overflow
    and of course Google is very helpful.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Awesome guys thanks! Ya. Definitely wanna start small. The transmitter is just something I want to build up to. Just start to code simple apps. And work my way up from there.

Ha I remember doing the "Hello World" thing in Computer Science Sophomore year. Never really kept up with JavaScript though. Although now I wish I would have.

Sent from your mom's house using my Droid X

Links