DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: bot bricked, but might be in trouble...

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

bot bricked, but might be in trouble...

edit: title should obviously say NOT bricked

ok, to start off, i have been browsing and reading through the forums for a couple weks now until i decided to root and change roms on my droid. last night, i rooted, installed spr recovery, made nandroid backup of my working setup before i uploaded to smoked glass rom. everything went easy and was going great. earlier today, i got a FC from the launcher, and it went to hell from there. after several attempts to recover from the ROM using sprecovery, i eventually got it to load and it said i have a damaged sd card, that i had to format, so i did. now my droid says no sd card, insert a new one and my computer wont find it on the phone(since it wont mount). at this point i would love to just go back totally to stock, but i cant figure out what to do next. sorry for being noobish, just dont want to make any more mistakes.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Zx,

Your gonna have to break things down into pieces as to what you do/don't have.

1) Do you have adb working?
    2) The sd card is formatted, so I assume blank
    3) Do you have a working backup nandroid on your pc. A full nandroid of your phone when it was working
    4) Do you have a card reader that you can use to put things on your microcard from the pc
    5) Had you made a full sd card backup at any point onto your pc
    6) can you still boot into sprecovery

Where I am going with this is that it would probably be best to move in the direction of fixing the phone in a rooted and sprecovery state. Get your phone working, then go back to stock. Right now sprecovery is your only lifeline that you can fiddle with. VZW might be able to recover, but that is a different route.

The goal is to get a proper nandroid recovery image, hopefully yours, onto the sdcard in the nandroid subdirectory, which you will have to make.

In sprecovery you can mount the sdcard and mount system in such a way that your pc in adb should be able to talk to the phone. This could be one way to to get the nandroid to the sdcard. The other choice is to create the nandroid subdirectory on the sd card with the pc and card reader, move the right nandroid image to it, insert the sd card back into the phone and try to recover with sprecovery.

Answering the questions above should be able to help everyone here. Perhaps what I have described above will make sense, and you can run with it. Worst case is you are a Roothelper Pro user, and this is gonna be a little more difficult.

Craig
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear in NM View Post
    Zx,

Your gonna have to break things down into pieces as to what you do/don't have.

1) Do you have adb working?
    2) The sd card is formatted, so I assume blank
    3) Do you have a working backup nandroid on your pc. A full nandroid of your phone when it was working
    4) Do you have a card reader that you can use to put things on your microcard from the pc
    5) Had you made a full sd card backup at any point onto your pc
    6) can you still boot into sprecovery

Where I am going with this is that it would probably be best to move in the direction of fixing the phone in a rooted and sprecovery state. Get your phone working, then go back to stock. Right now sprecovery is your only lifeline that you can fiddle with. VZW might be able to recover, but that is a different route.

The goal is to get a proper nandroid recovery image, hopefully yours, onto the sdcard in the nandroid subdirectory, which you will have to make.

In sprecovery you can mount the sdcard and mount system in such a way that your pc in adb should be able to talk to the phone. This could be one way to to get the nandroid to the sdcard. The other choice is to create the nandroid subdirectory on the sd card with the pc and card reader, move the right nandroid image to it, insert the sd card back into the phone and try to recover with sprecovery.

Answering the questions above should be able to help everyone here. Perhaps what I have described above will make sense, and you can run with it. Worst case is you are a Roothelper Pro user, and this is gonna be a little more difficult.

Craig
    ok, thanks for the reply and ill answer these for you.

1. i can go into command prompt and run adb shell, buit not totally sure if its 100% functional
    2. when i pull down the notification bar, it says "sd card blank or has unsupported filesystem"
    3.yes, i have, to the best of my knowledge, a full nandroid backup. went through advanced backup, copied the folder onto my cpu in a secure location.
    4. unfortunately i do not, but i can get one if need be, not a big deal
    5. i dont think i ever made a complete backup of the entire sd card
    6. yes, i can boot into sprecovery, i can actually boot the phone all the way to smoked glass and the phone works, but its running off internal memory as it is not recognizing the sd card or it says its blank.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    ZX,

I misunderstood, as I thought the phone was mostly non-op. So it sounds like you have a problem only with the sd card for the most part. And as you have a backup off phone, then you are not in any kind of trouble other than trying to reformat you existing sd card to see if it is salvagable.

There are threads here about unrooting, back to stock etc. Try a search. But, you are not gonna want to fiddle with those until you find out if the sd card is hosed.

In your settings menu under sd card there are settings for unmounting the card and formatting. I have not tried these, sounds like you have, but if not try again. If this does not work you can either get a card reader and try and format in windows and reinsert. Or, buy another card?

But, back to my first point, I would not try any of the unrooting back to stock tricks until you have the sd card ironed out.

Craig
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear in NM View Post
    ZX,

I misunderstood, as I thought the phone was mostly non-op. So it sounds like you have a problem only with the sd card for the most part. And as you have a backup off phone, then you are not in any kind of trouble other than trying to reformat you existing sd card to see if it is salvagable.

There are threads here about unrooting, back to stock etc. Try a search. But, you are not gonna want to fiddle with those until you find out if the sd card is hosed.

In your settings menu under sd card there are settings for unmounting the card and formatting. I have not tried these, sounds like you have, but if not try again. If this does not work you can either get a card reader and try and format in windows and reinsert. Or, buy another card?

But, back to my first point, I would not try any of the unrooting back to stock tricks until you have the sd card ironed out.

Craig
    thanks for your help. im currently in the process of attempting to format it through my pc and see if i can save it that way. if i can indeed format and salvage the sd, or if i infact need a new one, could i just push the update.zip(the one to unroot, back to stock, etc) to the card and sprecover from there? or are there steps im leaving out
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Zx,

there is a thread about 5 or 6 down on how to do it. No help here, as I am not going back (nor have I tried) It's Berzerker's thread, and he is as good as it gets.

On the sd card, there has been a thread or two about whether or not the card is covered under warranty. If it were me, and I found the card will not take a format, I would buy a cheapie 1 or 2 gig card. Get it working with the phone, then take the defective card back to your vzw store and make a case. Clearly there is no way rooting could cause the card to go bad, and if you have to show them the card not working in the phone, either get unrooted on the replacement card, or tell them to try the defective card in one of their phones. "You don't want that card anywhere near your phone", as you probably don't want to try and claim a defective card AND show them a rooted phone

Craig

Links