DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broke WiFi on Droid after overclocking, Need Fix

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Shad0w325 I did what you said and it worked. Thank you. If I delete that file off my SDcard or use my droid without the sdcard inserted, will the wifi fix still work? Or does the sdcard have to be inserted for the fix to work since the file is on the sdcard?
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jared1337 View Post
    Shad0w325 I did what you said and it worked. Thank you. If I delete that file off my SDcard or use my droid without the sdcard inserted, will the wifi fix still work? Or does the sdcard have to be inserted for the fix to work since the file is on the sdcard?
    The commands you typed copied the file off the sdcard and into /system. You no longer need the file to be on the card or the card to be in the droid.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    I believe part of the confusion here is where ppl are thinking sdcard is root when /sdcard is in actuality a directory in root.

Don't believe me? Open up Astro which brings you to /sdcard and hit the up button. You will then see a whole new world. Including /system which is where the fun begins.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Nexus One
    Quote Originally Posted by messenger13 View Post
    I've helped a lot of noobs who don't like (or are afraid of) command line statements. If you belong in that group, here's another way...

1. In preparation, make sure you have Root Explorer installed on your Droid (it costs a couple of bucks, but it’s worth it).

2. Download the tiwlan_drv.ko file from the tasmanian_droid forum at Alldroid to the root of your SD card.

3. Open Root Explorer, scroll down to system, then lib, then all the way down to modules. Tap the white button at the top so that it says “Mount R/O.”

4. Long press on the file tiwlan_drv.ko file, select “Rename” and add the extension .bak to the file.

5. Go back to the main directory and scroll down to sdcard and find the WiFi fix file you downloaded there, then long press and select “Move”. If you’ve done it correctly, you’ll see a “Paste” button at the bottom as you navigate through the directories back to modules.

6. In modules, click “Paste,” then long press on the file and select “Permissions”. For “User,” check the boxes for Read and Write (but NOT Execute); for “Group” and “Others,” check only Read, then tap “OK”.

7. The details under the file name should show “rw-r--r--” (which is what 644 means) and should be identical to those for the file you renamed with the .bak extension.

That’s it, your WiFi should be up and running!
    I don't quite get this, am I suppose to have the file tiwlan_drv.ko in the module file when I get to 3? Can anybody help pls?
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by EzPotato View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by messenger13 View Post
    I've helped a lot of noobs who don't like (or are afraid of) command line statements. If you belong in that group, here's another way...

1. In preparation, make sure you have Root Explorer installed on your Droid (it costs a couple of bucks, but it’s worth it).

2. Download the tiwlan_drv.ko file from the tasmanian_droid forum at Alldroid to the root of your SD card.

3. Open Root Explorer, scroll down to system, then lib, then all the way down to modules. Tap the white button at the top so that it says “Mount R/O.”

4. Long press on the file tiwlan_drv.ko file, select “Rename” and add the extension .bak to the file.

5. Go back to the main directory and scroll down to sdcard and find the WiFi fix file you downloaded there, then long press and select “Move”. If you’ve done it correctly, you’ll see a “Paste” button at the bottom as you navigate through the directories back to modules.

6. In modules, click “Paste,” then long press on the file and select “Permissions”. For “User,” check the boxes for Read and Write (but NOT Execute); for “Group” and “Others,” check only Read, then tap “OK”.

7. The details under the file name should show “rw-r--r--” (which is what 644 means) and should be identical to those for the file you renamed with the .bak extension.

That’s it, your WiFi should be up and running!
    I don't quite get this, am I suppose to have the file tiwlan_drv.ko in the module file when I get to 3? Can anybody help pls?
    You shouldn't follow these directions at all - they are out of date. Instead, just download a kernel packaged in an update.zip file. It will include the module and install itself for you
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Nexus One
    Thanks for your advice, followed your instruction and it worked perfectly.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links