DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bugless Beast audio bug...well, sorta.

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus

Bugless Beast audio bug...well, sorta.

OK, well it's not really specific to Bugless Beast, as its a well documented issue with the Droid, but I didn't have this problem until I moved to Bugless Beast. Anyways...

When you have the Droid connected to an external audio device (home Stereo, or Car) through the 3.5mm jack there is a crackling sound coming from the left side speakers, when the volume is turned up all the way on the Droid. If you turn the Volume down to 70% for example on the Droid, then the crackling goes away. It's been documented as a fairly common issue. It doesn't matter what the audio source is; Stock Music app, Pandora, Slacker, etc. all have the same problem.

However, I never experienced this problem when I was running my stock 2.01 firmware. Once I rooted and went to Bugless, the problem that others had complained about, suddenly appeared for me. Sure enough, I can restore back to my nandroid backup of my stock 2.01 system and the problem magically goes away.

Maybe this isn't the proper place to post this, as I know it isn't specific to Bugless only. Still I though my experiences were worth posting. I think I can attest that the audio crackling issue is not a hardware issue as many have assumed, but is definitely firmware related, and maybe can be fixed.

I'm attaching a screenshot of both my Stock 2.01 info (no crackling), along with a screenshot of my Bugless for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bugless Beast audio bug...well, sorta.-cap2010020113101.jpg   Bugless Beast audio bug...well, sorta.-screen201002011330.jpg  

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Thunderbolt & Xoom
    I think you are right. I noticed the crackling too and put it off as a bad bit rate on the mp3 I was listening too or a bad speaker. But it is only in the left ear.

Sometimes a "smartphone" is only as smart as its user.

4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I read about the problem, but had never experienced it until now. I've eliminated the audio setup as the problem. I've duplicated the issue on my Home stereo, car, and with different audio cables. I also know that alot of people have the problem with their stock Droids, right out of the box. Why I never did with my Stock system, I don't know.

I'm going to try some other ROMs to see if my stock 2.01 is the only one that DOESN'T have the issue.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bgrubb7 View Post
    OK, well it's not really specific to Bugless Beast, as its a well documented issue with the Droid, but I didn't have this problem until I moved to Bugless Beast. Anyways...

When you have the Droid connected to an external audio device (home Stereo, or Car) through the 3.5mm jack there is a crackling sound coming from the left side speakers, when the volume is turned up all the way on the Droid. If you turn the Volume down to 70% for example on the Droid, then the crackling goes away. It's been documented as a fairly common issue. It doesn't matter what the audio source is; Stock Music app, Pandora, Slacker, etc. all have the same problem.

However, I never experienced this problem when I was running my stock 2.01 firmware. Once I rooted and went to Bugless, the problem that others had complained about, suddenly appeared for me. Sure enough, I can restore back to my nandroid backup of my stock 2.01 system and the problem magically goes away.

Maybe this isn't the proper place to post this, as I know it isn't specific to Bugless only. Still I though my experiences were worth posting. I think I can attest that the audio crackling issue is not a hardware issue as many have assumed, but is definitely firmware related, and maybe can be fixed.

I'm attaching a screenshot of both my Stock 2.01 info (no crackling), along with a screenshot of my Bugless for reference.
    Its actually a known issue. I think it was addressed in the 2.01 update. Do a search for the crackling issue, there were multiple threads about it.

-Wil
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    It is because the overclock kernel contained in the rom is based off of the 2.0 kernel instead of 2.0.1.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I was running Bugless 0.7.1. I just noticed that there's a 0.7.2 update of Bugless Beast here.

I've updated to it, and the system info now reads Firmware version 2.01 (see screenshot)

I'll test it out in my car as soon as I get out of work...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bugless Beast audio bug...well, sorta.-screen201002011517.jpg  
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Dude i had that same problem! I was like scared i blew my speaker at first.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    I believe Pete has fixed this issue on the latest BB release no?
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I just upped from BB 0.7.1 to BB 0.7.2. I'll test it out here in about an hour and confirm one way or another.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    I've had this problem even b4 I rooted my phone. However I noticed that it doesn't happen when using bluetooth speakers or headsets. When I first noticed it I was considering trading it in thinking it was a hardware problem, but then I started rooting and hacking my phone and just said screw it since I put a lot of work into hacking it at this point. To me, it's annoying, sure, but not annoying enough for me to go get a new one from my insurance company.
    P.S. - The problem is still there even with BB 0.7.2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links