DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: bricked..

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Frim:2.0.1 Build:ESD56
    Okay well I am just dumb I guess awkward I charged the battery all night wouldn't turn on. Then it started turning on and I am charging it again because i did get into the bootloader and it said battery low. I still have the problem though that it boots past the DROID splash then the red eye splash comes on it plays its animation and then *BAM* goes straight to a black screen. It doesn't shut the phone off it just goes black. Is there any way to bring this back to life? I know I can't take it back to VZW without losing the warranty because I am sure they can get it past the black screen and notice all the rooting applications lol. I really think I am just screwed!
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Also if I do a format back to factory settings using the Power+X then the Vol+ + Cam will that get rid of all the applications I downloaded to it? Like would it get rid of Root File Manager and the update.zip I put on there and the busybox I put on there? If so then I will just take it back to VZW.
  3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    If you can't get into recovery, you can't wipe ... and I believe a wipe only wipes /data, so any apps you installed would be gone, but busybox for example would still be there as it goes to /system

So you got into the bootloader ... it says battery low. I suspect that's why it won't start up. My guess is it WILL charge when in bootloader, so just leave it on that screen for a while to see if it will charge.
    D1 GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning Gingerbread v5.6 (2.3.7) - from Source - 10/17/2011
    DX GB (10/17/2011) - Simply Stunning X Gingerbread v2.2 (2.3.7, GB Kernel) - from Source - 10/17/2011

Follow me on Twitter @ http://twitter.com/ChevyNo1Droid

If you enjoy my ROM's, feel free to help support my efforts by donating. I spend quite a few hours making sure you get the best ROM out there Your support is much appreciated! Paypal
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid
    Quote Originally Posted by acidcore View Post
    No no suggestion is stupid lol. Yea I jumped the gun when it first messed up. I don't think they would be able to know if I did anything to it I mean the only thing on the sd card is the update.zip but i could just take the sd card out lol and it should still boot fine without it right? The actual system I don't think has anything on it since i replaced the framework-res.apk with the original before it completely crashed. I think I have busybox on there and i have a couple rooting apps so I think they might see that and be like "yea you hacked it you are SOL sorry"
    not if it won't boot bro. just take it to verizon, say it won't boot, demonstrate, and get a new phone.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    And while your phone is charging, you can while away the hours by finding the various versions of update.zip files to try to restore. AS you do NOT have sprecovery, you are going to have to work with update.zip files on your sd card root, one at a time. You will probably have to copy these to the sd card by plugging your sd card into a reader on the pc, if adb is not gonna work. Possibly not.

My guess is the orignal 2.0.1 update is gonna crash with a verification error, but there are other versions of 2.0.1 with root and busybox you can also try.

While vzw would likley replace the phone and never be the wiser, it strikes me as wrong the number of folks who say take it back, and get a new one for free. You bought it, violated your terms of service, you broke it. It does seem like YOU are trying to do the right thing. The folks here can help with that.

Craig
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by acidcore View Post
    Okay well I am just dumb I guess awkward I charged the battery all night wouldn't turn on. Then it started turning on and I am charging it again because i did get into the bootloader and it said battery low. I still have the problem though that it boots past the DROID splash then the red eye splash comes on it plays its animation and then *BAM* goes straight to a black screen. It doesn't shut the phone off it just goes black. Is there any way to bring this back to life? I know I can't take it back to VZW without losing the warranty because I am sure they can get it past the black screen and notice all the rooting applications lol. I really think I am just screwed!
    Kind of a moot point isn't it???? If you can't get it to work than you have no useful device so what good is a warranty... if you take it and they DO see it than you're no worse off. But since you don't have SPRecovery loaded I doubt they will be able to get far enough in to see. But still it's a moot point. A last resort but you have nothing to loose and the possibility of a new device to gain...
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Craig,
    I agree completely nobody held a gun to my head making me do it lol. If i can find an update.zip that would fix it that would be fabulous. If I do get it fixed im unrooting it lol. I never even thought to try that. Thanks for the advice I will look for updates. Thanks.
    Also would an extremely low battery cause the phone to shut off after going past the 2 splash screens? If so then that may be why it won't boot up correctly? Thanks
    Last edited by acidcore; 02-01-2010 at 11:20 AM.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    LG G2
    Maybe I'm not looking at this correctly, and correct me if I'm wrong. But at some point during manufacturing, the phone is blank, and at some point they push all the data to it. If you can get power to your phone there must be some way to do this. There has to be. The only way I can see it being "bricked" is if there was some hardware broken. I don't see how using software can "brick" this phone, unless you were trying to overclock the cpu or something along those lines.
  9. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C3-PO View Post
    Maybe I'm not looking at this correctly, and correct me if I'm wrong. But at some point during manufacturing, the phone is blank, and at some point they push all the data to it. If you can get power to your phone there must be some way to do this. There has to be. The only way I can see it being "bricked" is if there was some hardware broken. I don't see how using software can "brick" this phone, unless you were trying to overclock the cpu or something along those lines.
    i believe a VZ technician can flash from the bootloader...
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Correct me if I am wrong but this could be completely ironic that it just so happened that some hardware died on the phone around the same time I reflashed the original framework-res.apk. I didn't overclock or anything I simply changed 1 image on the framework-res.apk installed it the phone went into no service mode force closing everything I put the original framework-res.apk back on the phone and that is when it started to boot to a blank screen. I put the altered framework on again booted back up with no service etc, then put back the original framework again and it went to the black screen. Iwas able to mount and adb at this point. Once I did the X+Power and formatted to factory settings that is when the phone stopped turning on and I couldn't adb or even mount. I really have no idea what to do. I could take it to vzw and then if they see I rooted it pay another $300 to get a new one? I think I would just go for something less flashy lol like a crappy $50 phone. I guess in the end I would save not having to pay for the monthly data packages I needed with the droid lol.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Links