DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now that I've actually rooted my phone (installed the update.zip)

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE

Now that I've actually rooted my phone (installed the update.zip)

Where can I go from here? Do I need to install the 2.1 update? Or can I use that sholes, or bugless beast one? I had someone helping me from this board through PM, but they seem to have vanished.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid/Cyanogen
    Well, the first thing you will want to do is get your recovery rom installed so that you can do nandroid backups as well as block ota updates.

Check out this thread:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...challenge.html

Or you can grab DroidRootPro from the market, it will apparently do a lot of that stuff, I just haven't used it so I can't say one way or the other.

After that, check out some of the rom reviews, I am pretty partial to bugless beast myself, others aren't fans of overclocking and like bugless beauty, some like 2.1, some like sholes, there's lots of options, check them out.

Welcome to the dark side
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Dare
    Well, since you've just rooted, get ahold of the bugless beast(WAY better than sholes IMO) update.zip, then run it, then buy setcpu from the market, then overclock to 800mhz. Then your phone will be super amazingly awesomeful.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by agent42o View Post
    Well, the first thing you will want to do is get your recovery rom installed so that you can do nandroid backups as well as block ota updates.

Check out this thread:

Or you can grab DroidRootPro from the market, it will apparently do a lot of that stuff, I just haven't used it so I can't say one way or the other.

After that, check out some of the rom reviews, I am pretty partial to bugless beast myself, others aren't fans of overclocking and like bugless beauty, some like 2.1, some like sholes, there's lots of options, check them out.

Welcome to the dark side
    I don't know why, but this is very confusing to me. I just check for DroidRootPro and it's pretty expensive for an app (IMO). Plus a lot of the comments are negative.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    Go through these guides:
    Guides - Root Your Droid

there's a lot to do before you start with ROMs (especially setting your backups). After you run through those you'll have a better idea of what you know (or don't know) and where you want to go after.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid/Cyanogen
    Quote Originally Posted by bitter View Post

Check out this thread:

Welcome to the dark side
    I don't know why, but this is very confusing to me. I just check for DroidRootPro and it's pretty expensive for an app (IMO). Plus a lot of the comments are negative.
    The most important thing for you is to get the recovery.0.99.2b.img file correctly installed. That will allow you to install custom roms as well as backup your current setup. I know it looks intimidating, but once you start going through it's not so bad, and once you get that down, you'll be able to ad and change on the fly.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by bitter View Post

Check out this thread:

Welcome to the dark side
    The most important thing for you is to get the recovery.0.99.2b.img file correctly installed. That will allow you to install custom roms as well as backup your current setup. I know it looks intimidating, but once you start going through it's not so bad, and once you get that down, you'll be able to ad and change on the fly.

WORD!

I'm a nOOb too and these things took me 3-4 days to get right.

BusyBox
    Nandroid
    Recovery992b

you've got to get these things worked out. stick with it. once you do, the world is your oyster.

I almost returned the thing till I experienced an 800 mhz Droid.... now I'm rocking 950 and LOVING IT!
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid until FedEx gets here
    i agree the recovery992b is, for me, the easiest way to install custom ROMs, its also probably the safest cause it allows access to backups on the SD, and can create its own

if u do decide on going all the way, i reccomend using
    --> http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...challenge.html

it may be a little confusing at first, but it will help u get a feel of what is actually going on, rather than let an app do it all without u

950mhz FTW
    For when Zues needs to summon the power of the skies, I shall answer the call...THUNDERBOLT HOOOOOOO!
  9. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member
    hold off on Sholes, a new update is coming soon... alldroid.org

try out Pete's Bugless Beauty or Bugless Beast (he just updated it today)
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Someone helped me with this last night, and I am current running Bugleast Beast. I haven't done much with it yet except change the boot screen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links