DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: I'm so lost.

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    DROID

I'm so lost.

Ok, well i got the droid a week before it came out and been on this site about the time it came out. I saw AdamZ's smoked glass theme http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/17714-themed-rom-smoked-glass-w-white-clock.html
    and i want it. The only huge ass problem is... I have no idea what to do. I am reading the instructions and what i need to download and when I try to unzip files I cannot. are the zipped files supposed to go right onto the droid? Also I know it must seem like a dumb question but in order to do all of this it needs to be rooted. even before nandroid goes in and everything....i will appreciate all help and direction.

Thank you,
    Jared
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Verizon Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by J5311 View Post
    Ok, well i got the droid a week before it came out and been on this site about the time it came out. I saw AdamZ's smoked glass theme http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/17714-themed-rom-smoked-glass-w-white-clock.html
    and i want it. The only huge ass problem is... I have no idea what to do. I am reading the instructions and what i need to download and when I try to unzip files I cannot. are the zipped files supposed to go right onto the droid? Also I know it must seem like a dumb question but in order to do all of this it needs to be rooted. even before nandroid goes in and everything....i will appreciate all help and direction.

Thank you,
    Jared
    Unless you get someone to help you, if I were you, i'd leave it alone. Everyone says if you're not absolutely sure you know what you'e doing when rooting, don't mess with it. Just my two cents.
  3. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1568 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    I'm moving your thread into the hacks section J5311. There are great devs/members in this section that may assist you.

I'm going to have to agree with Nick. Move forward ONLY when you feel confident you know what you are getting yourself into and fully understand what you are doing. Poking around in the dark so to speak is not something you should be doing.

Know also that rooting your device will void the warranty.

I'm not saying not to do it but again just know what you are getting yourself into.

Good luck.
  4. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...-easy-way.html

here's a good thread to start, it has a good walk through on how to root and such.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogenman View Post
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...-easy-way.html

here's a good thread to start, it has a good walk through on how to root and such.
    I'm trying to do this too, and none of the files in there work anymore.
  6. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, HTC TB, and D1
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by cereal killer View Post
    I'm moving your thread into the hacks section J5311. There are great devs/members in this section that may assist you.

I'm going to have to agree with Nick. Move forward ONLY when you feel confident you know what you are getting yourself into and fully understand what you are doing. Poking around in the dark so to speak is not something you should be doing.

Know also that rooting your device will void the warranty.

I'm not saying not to do it but again just know what you are getting yourself into.

Good luck.
    ok ive rooted but i went back to stock 2.0.1 will Verizon know that ive rooted and will they replace phone he screen cracks or something its ok if you dont know but just wondering
    Last edited by INSANENEIVIESIS; 01-31-2010 at 11:40 PM.
  7. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    One of the best places to start:
    Guides - Root Your Droid

They do a very good job of explaining all the various steps and ideas (i.e. blocking OTA ect.). Also the guides are VERY well done for beginners (copy and paste the commands).
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Phone
    motorola droid
    Rooting is amazingly easy. Most of the stuff is easy to load up. The developers made things pretty user friendly for us non-geniuses. You'll probably want to root, get roothelperpro, install all plug-ins from that and it should be simple from there. Took me about 10 minutes of real work to go from non-rooted to running 2.1

Links