DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: how far can nandroid go?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

Question how far can nandroid go?

Is it possible to brick your device to a degree that nandroid cant restore your device back? I just was wondering because I'm still a lil weary of some things because im just starting with android and i know its pretty much impossible to brick ipods/iphones because you can put it in dfu mode and such... so is that basically what nandroid is in a way? just a fallback system for devs and such?

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    yea even if youbrick it, you can always boot to nandroid
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    awsome ok, i just wasnt sure i figured thats what it was for... lolz i dont even know where my poor ipod touch is its in my room i just dont feel like looking for that worthless thing now ^.^ android ftw!
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    yea even if youbrick it, you can always boot to nandroid
    That is not necessarily true. Although it will provide a safe way to play with the phone to an extent he should know that yes it is still possible to brick your phone past sprecovery. Would be hard to do, but can be done. =)

lolz i dont even know where my poor ipod touch is its in my room i just dont feel like looking for that worthless thing now ^.^ android ftw!
    That's weird.
  6. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    SGS3
    First off people need to stop just throwing around the term 'brick.'.... To 'brick' your device means you have turned it into just that, a useless paper-weight... So if you 'brick' your device it is, by definition screwed beyond a point that NO backup program can save it. This was FAR more common on older WM phones and even now is becoming VERY rare. Some very talented chefs have made it possible to restore devices that once would have been considered bricks.

Now with that said. With nanodroid it's pretty hard to actually brick a Droid. It's still feasible but I've haven't actually seen anyone do it yet. You would have to REALLY screw up with a custom ROM loading some REALLY BAD kernels. But it is still possible. Just don't get too carried away or try anything to radical, take your time and follow the chefs directions and you should be fine.
    You are right to be wary. There is much bullcrap. Be wary of me too, because I may be wrong. Make up your own mind after you evaluate all the evidence and the logic. - Mark Rippetoe
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    exactly. I have heard of a couple guys on this forum that screwed up their phone so bad they had to take it into verizon to fix it even though they had recovery. But I really hope you dont shy away from rooting/playing with your phone cause of what I said. Root your phone, if not done already (real easy), then install sprecovery and your days of modding the phone should be 99% safe and 100% fun! =)

Links