DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Do I really need a file manager?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #

Question Do I really need a file manager?

I notice that most custom apps like the htc_ime I just read about, say you should get a file manager to install the apk they provide. Is there any reason why I can't just use the install switch with adb? I figure that would be just as good, right?

I've used adb install to install my own apk files before. I just wasn't sure if there was a specific reason for using a file manager.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Bionic (sad but sweet)
    Hey Dork,

You are an anomoly with a capital "A" Most folks try and do everything under the sun to ditch adb. Seriously. Which is kinda scarey, as it is concievable to envision a situation where their sd card has a problem, they are in some kind of boot loop with their only access to the phone being sprecovery and adb. Especially right now where some folks are switching roms more frequently than probably changing underwear.

I guess if your comfortable doing everything from the PC side (or phone terminal), then technically there is no reason for a file manger on the phone. At this point in the rom game, most folks are not installing apps with file managers. They tend to remove them, disable and such. Along with using the file manger to see what is going on, on the phone's root (away from the sd card).

For me it would be like exploring my windows pc by bringing up a dos window and using dos commands to do "stuff". I can't even imagine doing this in any kind of productive way, but I can see how it could be done. I guess it is obvious I am not a linux user

Craig
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    i think the op should be fine without my help... but to anser your q's.
    Is there any reason why I can't just use the install switch with adb?
    no.
    I figure that would be just as good, right?
    yes
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    What has been said supports what I was thinking. I don't have a physical phone and have been doing all my developing and playing on the emulator that comes with the android sdk. Using adb is much faster since I don't have a phone in my hands.

Even if I had a phone in my hands, I still think using adb to spawn a shell or somehow mounting the system partition myself would be more efficient.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by dork5002002 View Post
    What has been said supports what I was thinking. I don't have a physical phone and have been doing all my developing and playing on the emulator that comes with the android sdk. Using adb is much faster since I don't have a phone in my hands.

Even if I had a phone in my hands, I still think using adb to spawn a shell or somehow mounting the system partition myself would be more efficient.
    ^^^ What he said... all i heard was blah blah blah i'm blahblah smarter blah than blah blah you
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Rooted Droid @ 1Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by dork5002002 View Post

I use adb more often than not , it's definitely faster than having to mount and unmount the sdcard card repeatedly , wait for windows to index the drive, navigating menu's on the cpu and the phone.

Adb does it all through one interface without all the extra work.

Links