DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Did Sholes ROM brick my Droid?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid w/ SS4.6, 1Ghz

wifi radio dead?

I did the sholes update for the 2.1 apps, gallery, voice transcription, etc. After doing the update, I lost the ability to turn on or off Wifi. I ended up restoring back to a nandroid backup. At the time of this backup, I know Wifi was working. That did not work. I formatted and wiped the entire phone then did the backup, still can't do Wifi. When I try to turn it on, it immediately comes back with "unable to start wifi". Did the Sholes ROM brick my phone or is it coincedental that the radio would die when I applied the update?

Also, if there is no known fix, is there a way to get back to stock anything? I have nandroid, root, and busybox. That's it I think. I'll need to make it completely stock so I can get it swapped.
    Last edited by buee; 01-27-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: misleading title

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Not sure about your problem, but if it still turns on, it isn't bricked.

Grab the virgin-oem 2.0.1 image at Sholes.info and try restoring that.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid w/ SS4.6, 1Ghz
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnstang View Post
    Not sure about your problem, but if it still turns on, it isn't bricked.

Grab the virgin-oem 2.0.1 image at Sholes.info and try restoring that.
    Yeah, bricked was a poor choice of words. FUBAR may be more appropriate with all the radio related issues I've had with the sholes ROM.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2 rooted
    Quote Originally Posted by buee View Post
    I did the sholes update for the 2.1 apps, gallery, voice transcription, etc. After doing the update, I lost the ability to turn on or off Wifi. I ended up restoring back to a nandroid backup. At the time of this backup, I know Wifi was working. That did not work. I formatted and wiped the entire phone then did the backup, still can't do Wifi. When I try to turn it on, it immediately comes back with "unable to start wifi". Did the Sholes ROM brick my phone or is it coincedental that the radio would die when I applied the update?

Also, if there is no known fix, is there a way to get back to stock anything? I have nandroid, root, and busybox. That's it I think. I'll need to make it completely stock so I can get it swapped.
    let me start by saying before you post a thread with this title, you may want to re think. bc as it suggests you may have bricked your phone. sholes did not. they test and test before they release and since i have personaly used just about every sholes rom, and my droid is blazing still . in the disclamer every person whom develops a rom says if] you brick your phone it is not their fault.

now i would try the virgenoem, also make sure you have latest sprecovery.
    and maybe edit the op befoe a mod or the sholes team see it.
    Last edited by evilsock; 01-27-2010 at 11:29 AM.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid w/ SS4.6, 1Ghz
    Title edited.

One ? Before I restore the virgin. I just want to confirm that it will get rid of nandroid.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2 rooted
    Quote Originally Posted by buee View Post
    Title edited.

One ? Before I restore the virgin. I just want to confirm that it will get rid of nandroid.
    no nandroid is required for root, you can install virgen oem and make a good backup then go into your nandroid folder and delete any backups you think may be corrupted, or there is a thread to go back to 100% stock, no root. either way should clear you up, also you need to be making a backup before everytime you do a large change so you wont run into this again
    edit if u go back to 100 % stock and un root you will not loose nandroid folder but u can delete it, your phone will not delete anything on your sdcard in a rom install ever btw
    Last edited by evilsock; 01-27-2010 at 12:27 PM.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    If you want to go completely back to stock with no root and no nandroid recovery anymore, I suggest this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...-easy-way.html
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2 rooted
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnstang View Post
    If you want to go completely back to stock with no root and no nandroid recovery anymore, I suggest this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...-easy-way.html
    couldnt agree more i did this , and layed my roms back on top and fixed alot of bugs

Links