DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Short Distance Navigational IM

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Short Distance Navigational IM

Is it possible to communicate between two droids? For instance, it would be nice to have an application which can communicate with another droid and invoke a short pop-up "hello". Imagine a situation, you are sitting in a subway train, and u see this nice beautiful lady sitting across at the corner. You surely do not have a way to muster to walk up and say hi, but u surely can ping her cell with navigational/directional IM which will buzz her a "hi ... this is the red shirt guy sitting across......" and if she seems interested in u, she can respond or ignore.

Is it in the relams of do-able technology yet? Is an application development possible in this area? I see a lot of use in such short range area, whereby u need not know the other persons tel number, but if his/her droid comes in some cognizant radius of ur droid range, then u can IM/buzz to say a few very short messages... and yet decide to remain strangers or make friends.

If droid can do this, this will be a very UNIQUE offering to the telephone world, not yet available. This will be like everyday event talking to strangers on the roadside... when u ask a stranger for some thing/direction/time/wishes... and since most of the world is filled with strangers than friends... it is one other reason this technology will bridge the gap further!
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    interesting idea, but kinda seems like a little bit of an invasion of privacy to me... i know that i wouldn't nec. want anything on my phone that will let anyone around me access/start/popup anything at all without me giving them explicit permission to do it.. Not only that, but the stalker potential in something like this is huuge.. imaging being able to send something to someone w/o them knowing who it is, where they are, or what they're sending... in this case it would just be text, but idk... just seems a little too creepy to me..

there's also alot of technical difficulties involved in coding a program like that, but it's probably doable..

That being said, you'd probably be better off using the fact that you both have droids as a conversation starter and just going up and talking to the chick, hahaha
    Last edited by melophat; 11-11-2009 at 02:08 AM.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    It sounds potentially doable, especially if the phones were the same (like you were saying DROIDs) but, like @melophat, privacy being invaded is a pretty big deal...

Another option would be to just grow some balls and talk to her! Rejection isn't THAT devastating!
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Nah! Bul**** privacy! What privacy do u need when u are walking on the street and just tap on to someone to ask some directions? Maybe directional IM is the most difficult to pick between two droids!

How would you triangulate another droid in close vicinity and distinguish that person --- is the real question here???
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Motorola Bionic
    Not sure if this would work because I don't have another BT phone but maybe try this:

In the BT menu, change the Device Name to what you want your message to read.
    Scan for devices and select the detected BT device to pair with. They'll be alerted of the pair attempt and display your message as the device the request is coming from.

But if your on a train full of BT enabled phones, it'll be hard determining which one to choose.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    you would have to create some sort of bluetooth service that constantly broadcasts your signal saying you have the IM client. wifi may work but bluetooth would ensure the person is in range of you being able to see them. You then have the problem... how many people leave bluetooth draining their phone while sitting around.

You wont b able to triangulate your fellow droid-ians unless you share your log info with others sort of like how routing tables work in BGP. I would say it is yes do-able. but would be easier just to talk to someone in person. because eitherway they would need a droid and your app as well.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Unfortunatey, what ur saying makes sense. So, unless Android comes up with a new version which can natively modify bluetooth/radio-signal/rf to do this directional IM stuff ... if there is enough buy-in from the customers!
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by goodnluck2000 View Post
    Nah! Bul**** privacy! What privacy do u need when u are walking on the street and just tap on to someone to ask some directions?
    yeah, but when you're walking down the street and tap someone on the back to ask directions, there's about 0 chance that you'll be able to ask them any question you want to about their personal life/info and they'll have no option but to tell you, and not remember that they told you after.. if there's a security bug in this program that you want, that chance actually becomes very good.. because thats the software equivelent of what would happen if someone were to find and use an exploit. they would possibly have access to your phone numbers, emails, calendar, etc.. whatever they want.. and you would probably never know they were there unless they wanted you to...

it's the same kind of problem that all the tinfoil hat-wearing paranoids have with RFID.. anyone around you with the right hardware could potentially get access to any RFID item you have, ie: your passport.. some credit/debit cards... there's plenty more.. put it this way.. i'd never use any kind of software like that even if it was available.. i keep way too much info on my phone/emails..
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    there is no way this will (or should) happen for phones not pre-installed with an app enabling this, (unless there's a vulnerability in bluetooth or something) because of security/privacy protection built in... however scanning for other devices which expect to be contacted using a known protocol should potentially be possible, everyone involved would just have to opt in.

that said it would be pretty unlikely that a cute girl in the metro would have this app installed
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    this could actually be created very easily. i believe apps such as this already exist, where the opted in users can see each other on terms of a radius distance, which the user can pick how wide an area they want it to be aware of. on the iPhone there is an app i know of actually created by musicians, and it doesn't go farther than a timeline that bases itself on location distance from you--- same idea could easily be used to give you like a fully notification based experience (something iphone isn't capable of) where if you were in proximity of another user you'd both be notified!

Links