DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verizon 4.5.608 OTA update breaks ability to root Droid 2 Global

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global

Verizon 4.5.608 OTA update breaks ability to root Droid 2 Global

I allowed my phone to install the 4.5.608.A956.Verizon.en.US OTA update this morning. As I expected, it patched the phone so that Titanium Backup could not get root status. Disappointingly, it also apparently patched the exploit used by the Motorola OneClickRoot script. When I ran that script, it claimed to have successfully rooted the phone, but had not actually done so, as apps such as Titanium Backup report that they are unable to get root status. I also tried Z4Root, which hangs indefinitely when you try to get permanent root.

Does anyone know of a work-around, or will I just have to wait for someone to find out a new technique?

3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    I am wondering the same thing.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Quote Originally Posted by jfeldredge View Post
    I allowed my phone to install the 4.5.608.A956.Verizon.en.US OTA update this morning. As I expected, it patched the phone so that Titanium Backup could not get root status. Disappointingly, it also apparently patched the exploit used by the Motorola OneClickRoot script. When I ran that script, it claimed to have successfully rooted the phone, but had not actually done so, as apps such as Titanium Backup report that they are unable to get root status. I also tried Z4Root, which hangs indefinitely when you try to get permanent root.

Does anyone know of a work-around, or will I just have to wait for someone to find out a new technique?

I updated mine to 4.5.608 this morning. Then used "Pete's Motorola Root Tools" and everything rooted fine! Hope this helps!!
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    I tried that; it said that it had rooted the phone, but did not do so. I will download the tool again tonight, and try again, just in case there has been an update since I last downloaded it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid2Globel
    Hi my phone is running gingerbread, but I was wondering if there is anyway to delete stock apps? Like the amazon music thingy that is always taking my ram.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL Gingerbread using DroidForums
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Preacherboy you want to create a new subject to get proper help. Anyway you need to root your phone and then download an app to remove bloatware. I use no bloat free from market place. Works great and you can delete and back it up so if you delete something and want it back you can restore it

Sent from my Rooted Droid Bionic
    Sent from my [P]URIFIED DROID BIONIC
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    D2G
    Hey so I accidently updated my phone and along with it no longer being rooted it is slow very slow and prone to freeze, I end up haveing to remove the battery and restart the phone. Also for what ever reason it I had to reinstall the app for droid forums. Also now I cannot even connect it to my computer the drivers won't install correctly, everything worked fine befor this accursed update. Is there any possibility of seening a new root hack in the near future and anyway to fix these few bugs that I have now. It was never this slow before.

9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Unfortunately, the one-click method given at [ROOT/UNROOT] Droid 3 root instructions (One Click added for Windows/ Linux/ OSX) still didn't work. This may be because the /system/bin/su is still present from the earlier rooting. There is a supposed work-around given at [ROOT/UNROOT] Droid 3 root instructions (One Click added for Windows/ Linux/ OSX) - Page 15, but it only works if the one-click process succeeds.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    I inadvertently updated mine too. Gingerbreak 1.2 doesn't work either. This phone was previously rooted on 2.2 using 'rage against the cage'.
  11. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    D2G
    Quote Originally Posted by jfeldredge View Post
    Unfortunately, the one-click method given at [ROOT/UNROOT] Droid 3 root instructions (One Click added for Windows/ Linux/ OSX) still didn't work. This may be because the /system/bin/su is still present from the earlier rooting. There is a supposed work-around given at [ROOT/UNROOT] Droid 3 root instructions (One Click added for Windows/ Linux/ OSX) - Page 15, but it only works if the one-click process succeeds.
    Does this work for the D2G, I tried petes one click method but iit didn't work it recomended that I unistall the previous root and su but whan I did this nothing happened. I unrooted the phone using the unroot feature in the one click method only. Sould I manually unistall the su from the phone then run the one click root.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links